Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 17:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Building a Home Theatre Room

Hi CMS,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Here is my points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Note : If you are looking for suggestions, better create a new thread.
I believe all the related topics to be discussed in the same thread, as my question about the interior decoration and if any advantage or impact to the sound quality, I have posted in this thread.

Quote:
You have a good setup and a room. Assuming from the pics, they are Polk TSi series and Onkyo AVR and Polk sub.
Here is my setup detail:
  • LG 47LW5600 3D USB 1080p DLNA LED Smart TV 47" & LG wifi adapter and Passive 3D glasses [Skype, Netflix, Youtube .etc.)
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - DNLA, 3D, SD, Wireless Network enabled Bluray Player
  • Onkyo TX NR1008 9.2 Channel 945 Watt Receiver
  • Tatasky HD 1080i satellite box
  • Netgear Push 2 TV PTV1000 WIDI adaptor
  • Polkaudio subwoofer RM705 100W
  • Polkaudio RTi A9 floor standing front speakers x 2
  • Polkaudio CSi A6 center channel speaker
  • Polkaudio T15 surround Speakers x 2
  • Polkaudio Monitor 7 Silver edition floor standing wide speakers (8omhs 150w 25 Hz to 25 KHz, 40Hz at lower -3db limit, 23KHz at upper -3db limit) x 2
  • Sony speakers SS-H991 x 2 - Rated impedance: 8oms Max, input: 125W, 3 way sys bass reflex type (Spk 6", Tweeter 2", Super Tweeter 1") for rear surround (Eventually I will replace this with a Polkaudio FXi A6 speakers)
  • Sony front high speakers SS-SR991 x 2 - Rated impedance: 16omhs (Eventually replaced with Polkaudio OWM3 speakers)
  • Monster Power HTS 3500 MkII Reference PowerCenter to suppress the surge and eliminate digital jitter due to power fluctuations
  • Miyama two conductor speaker cables
  • Maxine 2000watts stepdown transformer (110v to 220v)
  • Monster standard S16-4R-CL Standard 16 Guage four conductor speaker cable (wireless receiver)
  • WireLogic Hi-Speed HDMI cable with ethernet x 3
  • Monster subwoofer cable
  • Royal make TV wall mount (tilt-able) accessory
  • Janefas make JJ-SS-B model rear surround speaker wall mount accessories x 2

Quote:
- Any speaker need a breathing space, if possible move the speakers into the room. This also removes the issues of speaker located at a corner. This is to reduce the side-effect of room modes.
How much distance will suffice this requirement ? I currently have about 2-3 inches gap between the speaker and the wall.

Quote:
- I would have suggested a thick curtain for the right side window, but unless the same is not done to the left wall or with any other sound absorbing material, it wont make any sense.
The right side window has a sound absorbing bamboo curtain and requirement of some sort of similar setup is what gave me an idea of Mural painting on the left side empty wall. Hence the question, if Mural painting will have a better effect or will it play spoil sport ?

Quote:
- Try to face the center channel slightly upwards along with a thick rug on the reflection point on the floor.

- Move the sub into the room. You can do a "crawling test" to find the best location.

With the above two itself, you will get a better soundstage and channel separation.
I will surely try achieving this suggestion, however can you elaborate what is crawling test ? how to perform it?

Thanks in advance for patiently helping me on this regard.

Last edited by trammway : 17th September 2014 at 18:07.
Old 17th September 2014, 23:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I believe all the related topics to be discussed in the same thread, as my question about the interior decoration and if any advantage or impact to the sound quality, I have posted in this thread.
My suggestion for a new thread is because its another user's HT thread and the all the posts are specific to his design and build details.

Quote:
How much distance will suffice this requirement ? I currently have about 2-3 inches gap between the speaker and the wall.
As a starting point you can use the Cardas Audio's recommendation for a rectangular room, .276x from the side walls and .447x from the back wall, x=width of the room. You can also consider the Rule of Thirds along with this.
My cousin's living room setup is exactly same as your's. What we did was to place the speakers ~5' from the back wall and ~1ft from the side walls along with a 4" deep sound absorbing material (600gsm Synth wool + wood wool board) on the side wall to cover the mid and the tweeters. I think this is the best in your case.

Quote:
The right side window has a sound absorbing bamboo curtain
Sound absorbing bamboo curtain? In which way? It wont absorb anything than reflecting. Also any painting will have a reflecting surface.

Quote:
I will surely try achieving this suggestion, however can you elaborate what is crawling test ? how to perform it?
A video from Axiom audio on this :
Old 18th September 2014, 11:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Onkyo TX NR1008 9.2 Channel 945 Watt Receiver
Hi Trammway,

Did you import the Onkyo TX NR 1008 ?
Just wanted to know if you carried it yourself, or had it shipped via any website.

If its the latter would like to know the details, price etc..

Ps: I currently have a Denon 1713, but not happy with it. Looking to upgrade to an Onkyo TXNR 727.

TXNR 818 is quite pricy in India

Btw I have a basic HT setup, however dont have the luxury of a dedicated room, so the hall doubles up as the HT room

Thanks
Fillmore
Old 18th September 2014, 11:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Btw I have a basic HT setup, however dont have the luxury of a dedicated room, so the hall doubles up as the HT room
There is no drawback in having the setup in the living room or any benefit in having a dedicated room, but luxury, yes. Both environments can be controlled, but in a living room with some limitations due to aesthetics, but a clever designer can achieve to an extend. Only problem with living room in most of the cases is the light control for projection during day time.
Old 19th September 2014, 11:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a starting point you can use the Cardas Audio's recommendation for a rectangular room, .276x from the side walls and .447x from the back wall, x=width of the room. You can also consider the Rule of Thirds along with this.
My cousin's living room setup is exactly same as your's. What we did was to place the speakers ~5' from the back wall and ~1ft from the side walls along with a 4" deep sound absorbing material (600gsm Synth wool + wood wool board) on the side wall to cover the mid and the tweeters. I think this is the best in your case.
Thanks mate.

Ok, I will have to find a different location for the wide speakers, removing them will automatically introduce 1ft gap in the side. Let me see how could I insulate the rear with some sort of sound absorbing material in a short while.

Quote:
Did you import the Onkyo TX NR 1008 ?
Just wanted to know if you carried it yourself, or had it shipped via any website.

If its the latter would like to know the details, price etc..

I have imported Sony STR-DH520 3D 7.1 and Onkyo 1008 from USA in different route at a different time.

I carried the Sony STR-DH520 in checkin baggage and no question asked at Chennai customs. I didn't have any original packaging just wrapped it with bubble wrap and put it in the bag and it safely arrived at Chennai. I'm kind of thinking to get rid of it now as I have upgraded to Onkyo 9.2 channel one.

When I was transferred back to India, I carried lots of stuff in a container (200 cubic ft) and all the speakers (except the Center CSI A6) were brought in the container along with the TV, AVR, Player and some other items. The customs clearance costed me around INR 18K for everything and shipping was $1800(door to door). The only downside of bringing from US is that it requires a step down transformer and there are high chances some one may burn few electronics by plugging in to 230v wall socket. (Lol, I did burn few adapters already)

I don't have a dedicated HT room as well, the picture posted above was my living room. (13ft width x 27 ft length)

Last edited by trammway : 19th September 2014 at 11:41.
Old 19th September 2014, 11:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate.

Ok, I will have to find a different location for the wide speakers, removing them will automatically introduce 1ft gap in the side. Let me see how could I insulate the rear with some sort of sound absorbing material in a short while.
But you are still not avoiding the corner loading, which is the worst thing and should be avoided. The ideal position would be the left speaker after the door opening and the right speaker at the same distance from the back wall. A slight toe-in will also help in reducing the first reflection and good for getting the sweet spot. Since the speaker sides are very close to the wall you have to provide a 4" thick sound absorbing material. Treating the side walls are more important than the back wall for a horizontal soundstage, back wall is for better depth.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 19th September 2014 at 11:42.
Old 5th October 2014, 20:33   #37
BHPian

The room which doubles as my HT room is due for painting.
Wanted to find out if its a better idea to go in for painting or fixing wall paper ?

I don't plan to do any actual "Sound proofing or dampening" treatment, but given the choice between paint and wall paper would the wall paper provide any advantage ?

Would appreciate any inputs on the same.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
wall paper provide any advantage
Nothing, than aesthetics
Old 7th October 2014, 12:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Off topic question. is that an Epiphone or a Gibson Les paul?
Old 7th October 2014, 12:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
Off topic question. is that an Epiphone or a Gibson Les paul?
Gibson Les paul Signature Series

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks