Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 06:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
Hello Everyone,

My brother is coming down from US. My son wants to get a laptop from there. Basically he wants to use it as gaming platform. Is it worth getting it from there or buy a high end desktop here in Bangalore.

Please suggest how do we go about this?

Thanks in advance.
you can check some deals website that have offers for laptop. here are some of the website that will help you get the latest deals from there.

Deals2buy: Everyday hot deals and coupons
DealsOfAmerica.com-Hot Deals, Coupons, Online Shopping Deals & Special Offers!

also dell.com and hp.com has its own deal coming from time to time. you can check those too

hope this helps
Old 29th July 2009, 07:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

please also buy yourself an external hard disk too and take regular backup of all data. heavy usage cuold make the laptops prone to crashing. The recovery CD and an external hard disk absolute necessity if you buy a laptop for heavy usage.gaming for eg.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:55   #18
BHPian

Desktop would definitely be better, as it would be easier and cheaper to upgrade, replace the graphics card and has better cooling (the graphics card and cooling are very important for a gaming PC). Also you could get a 21" LCD monitor.

A laptop on the other hand comes as one piece, has its own battery backup and is easier to carry around. It would be wiser to invest in a good cooling pad and a wireless keyboard & mouse for the laptop.

If you are planning to get from the US, make sure that it can take our 230V supply, and has international warrenty applicable in India. Also make sure that there is atleast 4GB of memory.

And if the application is just gaming, why dont you get a playstation 3? It can also be used as PC. There is an article on how to install ubuntu on playstation 3 at ubuntu website, maximumpc website and lots of other websites, just google.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:04   #19
BHPian

Being in this industry for 5 years my option for gaming will be always desktop (considering the cost factor also) if you need a really good gaming computer you need to get an Alienware or a XPS, but those computers is bit heavy. Also the option what you get on desktop cannot be matched with the laptop… Just plan up a good configuration drop into SP road and pick up the parts of your choice and build a cool gaming computer for yourself.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:34   #20
Team-BHP Support

I suggest do not get laptop for a child. As compared to normal keyboards, laptop keyboards put more street on the fingers.
If your son is into games, he will be using the KB a lot, and it can cause problems.
So best is to get a comp assembled from here itself using quality parts, and invest in a good keyboard
Old 29th July 2009, 12:42   #21
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions. Going by the views I think I will go for local assembled desktop with good parts. I would like to have a good graphics card, a sound card and 5.1 speaker support. A DVD-RW and a LCD monitor would do.

Experienced gamers suggest a CRT monitor, what do you think?

My son is 13 years old and I have a acer travelmate 2300 series laptop with me. Recently both battery & hard disk have conked up. I do not want to repair it as wont run latest games or software.

Why I insisted on laptop was that both my children & father are used to convenience of laptop.
Old 29th July 2009, 16:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Since you are based in Bangalore, you can safely go for Dell. Please do not go for 'local assembled desktop', you can safely go for a Dell desktop and take three year warranty. IN that case even if anything happens you do not have to run behind the assembler.

Dell has the one of the best Customer care amongst any Indian resellers, and you may already know this, being based in Bangalore.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Since you are based in Bangalore, you can safely go for Dell. Please do not go for 'local assembled desktop', you can safely go for a Dell desktop and take three year warranty. IN that case even if anything happens you do not have to run behind the assembler.

Dell has the one of the best Customer care amongst any Indian resellers, and you may already know this, being based in Bangalore.
As long as you buy reliable components like Asus/Seagate etc., there are no issues.
There are quite a few assemblers who help you get warranty replacement quickly.
For example I had motherboard issue(I damaged it accidently), the assembler told me to return motherboard to him, and after a week the replacement came from "Mercury".
If you buy a branded desktop you loose lot of benefits of a custom machine, and you have to run behind a nameless faceless corporation.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:20   #24
BHPian

Try computer warehouse in Barton Center on MG road. You will get best prices in Bangalore. He provides assembling services if you select the configuration.

You can check the prices using this URL Computer Warehouse Online - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, Laptops and Electronics

Regards,
Deepak
Old 30th July 2009, 13:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As long as you buy reliable components like Asus/Seagate etc., there are no issues.
There are quite a few assemblers who help you get warranty replacement quickly.
For example I had motherboard issue(I damaged it accidently), the assembler told me to return motherboard to him, and after a week the replacement came from "Mercury".
If you buy a branded desktop you loose lot of benefits of a custom machine, and you have to run behind a nameless faceless corporation.
the main thing is that in case of corporates even if you fight/have differences/abuse/argue with them, they can still be held accountable.

In case of an assembler, he has the option of never backing up his committments in case any of the above happens.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:50   #26
Team-BHP Support

Its not a question of backing up from assembler. This issue comes when you buy without bill. In Bangalore when you buy with bill and warranty, you get warranty from OEM like Seagate Asus etc.,
So if something goes bad, the assembler will directly contact the OEM supplier.
There are a few shady assemblers around, but there are quite a few very good ones also around.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its not a question of backing up from assembler. This issue comes when you buy without bill. In Bangalore when you buy with bill and warranty, you get warranty from OEM like Seagate Asus etc.,
So if something goes bad, the assembler will directly contact the OEM supplier.
There are a few shady assemblers around, but there are quite a few very good ones also around.
+1 to that. I work for Dell and it is great to know that we have a good reputation on Team-bhp.

It is your choice on what system to buy. What tsk1979 said is absolutely right. If you buy with a bill from say SP Road you definitely get a warranty on the components. In most of the cases the shop guy will check with his tech and if the issue is with the Hardware they will arrange to get it replaced for you but like someone said it might take a week or so.

Sometimes if you are in a hurry they will ask you to get in touch with the respective company's service center for speedier service.
Old 1st August 2009, 03:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

No doubt a desktop will make a better gaming rig than a laptop. Don't bother with a CRT, they just take up space, use more power, generate more heat and (if you're at 21" or more) the image is nowhere near as sharp as a decent LCD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks