Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 15:02   #1
BHPian

Laptop from US?

Hello Everyone,

My brother is coming down from US. My son wants to get a laptop from there. Basically he wants to use it as gaming platform. Is it worth getting it from there or buy a high end desktop here in Bangalore.

Please suggest how do we go about this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:22   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
Hello Everyone,

My brother is coming down from US. My son wants to get a laptop from there. Basically he wants to use it as gaming platform. Is it worth getting it from there or buy a high end desktop here in Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.
Laptops are much more cheaper in US compare to here, hence it's always worth getting it from there. But as you have mentioned, if it's only for your kid, my suggestion is go for deskop. As laptops are not worth for gaming and especially not at all for kids. Again, it's my personal view considering the usage & maintenance.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:32   #3
BHPian

Either Laptop or CPU is well worth getting from US.

For gaming, it is better to go for Desktop because of performance and reliability. Try getting Dell "Studio" ( only CPU ) from US with international warantee and rest of the peripherals ( Keyboard, monitor etc ) can be bought here.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:33   #4
BHPian

Laptops are quiet cheap in US compared to in India. You can check out amazon.com, deals2buy.com etc for good deals, and compare it with prevailing prices here in India.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:43   #5
BANNED

There is only one issue. Read the warranty carefully. Some manufacturers on page xxx will say warranty is only in the country of sale, or applicable only if the same model is sold in the place where there is a fault. Also, go for a three year warranty since laptop repairs are very pricey.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:49   #6
BHPian

A worldwide warranty isnt usually required - laptops are sturdy. I second the opinion of making sure that a laptop is really what you need as against a desktop which is more practical.

But if its a laptop you want, definitely go for one from the US. Much much more cheaper and more variety too. An international warranty (if you insist on it) will almost wipe out the savings , so I dont recommend it. If something goes wrong, you would have to send it back for free repairs or get it done in India. so make sure its tested properly after buying , usually if everythings ok , nothing goes wrong within the warranty period anyway.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

From personal experience, I am grateful to the person who convinced me to spend 10k in buying an extended 1+2 year Dell warranty.

I have a Dell XPS 1330 which has seen more parts being replaced than the initial cost of the machine - all within the first 1.5 yrs of ownership. I am told this can now be extended by another 3 years - which I fully intend to do!

I would never recommend you buy anything which does not give you company warranty support in India.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.
If the requirement is purely for gaming, I would suggest you to buy a desktop so that upgrades ( if required later) can be done easily.
No doubt laptops are cheaper in the US, but not recommended for gaming. Just my $0.02
Old 28th July 2009, 20:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

While major laptop makers have universal laptop models, many models are not available in other coutries. These include mostly those models which are gaming intensive. So as mentioned by others, do make sure that the models is available in India.
Old 28th July 2009, 23:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Would suggest that you get a desktop; will be even better if you can get one that is assembled, since you have a specific requirement (gaming) and you can build to that.

Getting a laptop from US is a good deal, but not for gaming; this is unless you are planning to get your son a Alienware laptop, in which case, no second thoughts!
Old 28th July 2009, 23:23   #11
BHPian

Laptop for gaming is a no no. Desktop all the way. Will be cheaper too. Better still if it is assembled to your requirements with near future upgrade- ability in mind.
Old 28th July 2009, 23:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.
How old is your Son? If he is really comfortable using a Laptop you can ask your brother to get a system from US since it is comparatively cheaper there. Be sure to check about the warranty though because some manufacturers like Acer offer only an international travelers warranty which is kind of worthless in India.

I don't know about HP but if you are buying a Dell make sure that you are buying a NBD - Next Business Day Warranty so that you can transfer the same to India. Do not buy the Complete Cover warranty there because Complete Cover bought in US is not applicable and valid in India, Complete Cover provides accidental damage protection to the system and you can buy the same in India once you transfer the warranty from US to India which is a process that you can do online.

Whatever system you are buying ensure that you are buying the best config & warranty possible within your budget.
Old 29th July 2009, 00:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Laptop for gaming is a no no. Desktop all the way. Will be cheaper too. Better still if it is assembled to your requirements with near future upgrade- ability in mind.
Who the hell said gaming and laptops do not gel?

If money is no object, check out alienware models, these are built for gaming.
Old 29th July 2009, 06:12   #14
BHPian

Prices are more or less equal these days, scour through bestbuy.com and other websites and compare prices with indian sellers before you buy.
Buy one only if you are getting a better deal, which were easier to find a year or so back when the dollar was about 40 bucks. With the rupee depriciating to 50 import prices have gone up by 25% making deals harder to find.
Old 29th July 2009, 06:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
If the requirement is purely for gaming, I would suggest you to buy a desktop so that upgrades ( if required later) can be done easily.
No doubt laptops are cheaper in the US, but not recommended for gaming. Just my $0.02
check out the alienware range. they are around $2k and are great gaming laptops.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks