Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2006, 18:16   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
If you have the space to put the 34" CRT TV, go for it. The only problem with them is that they are huge and heavy! Though the new slim TV's seem to solve that problem.
I picked up a 34" Philips CRT Pixel Plus 2 (HDTV ready) last year at a fantastic price.. Am very happy with it.. comes in at 1/4th price of Plasma. Picture quality is great with cable, DVD. only with 16:9 DVDs the picture becomes smaller. But not a problem for me as I watch rock concert videos which are 4:3 most of the time..

Of course, its heavy, 70Kg+ so have set it up on a detachable trolley, which is part of the unit housing the home theatre.
Old 20th July 2006, 18:37   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
I picked up a 34" Philips CRT Pixel Plus 2 (HDTV ready) last year at a fantastic price.. Am very happy with it.. comes in at 1/4th price of Plasma. Picture quality is great with cable, DVD. only with 16:9 DVDs the picture becomes smaller. But not a problem for me as I watch rock concert videos which are 4:3 most of the time..

Of course, its heavy, 70Kg+ so have set it up on a detachable trolley, which is part of the unit housing the home theatre.

what was the price you paid
Old 20th July 2006, 19:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just pointing out that the HDTVs tend to exaggerate the "quality" of the cable reception. So u need to be prepared to live with it.
But i thought "HD ready" TVs came with the 480p and 1080i options. So, you could switch between high res and normal res.

Shan2nu
Old 20th July 2006, 20:47   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
So, you could switch between high res and normal res.

Shan2nu
Hmm.. not sure at all. Although i somehow doubt thats possible.
Perhaps somebody who actually owns one of these TVs could help you with that.
Old 20th July 2006, 22:05   #65
BHPian

Whats the price of a 40" m5 Samsung LCD TV in India??
-Chaxy
Old 23rd July 2006, 21:40   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy
Whats the price of a 40" m5 Samsung LCD TV in India??
-Chaxy
I bought this model 3 months back for Rs1.8 lacs.
(official Samsung MRP is Rs2 lacs)..20,000 is authorised dealer discount.
-sr
Old 24th July 2006, 17:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
what was the price you paid
I knew somebody at Philips.. I got it for 53K, I think.. MRP was 70K+..
Old 24th July 2006, 18:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, we're gonna buy a tv in the next 2 days. So, if yo'l could name any Normal HDTV models (not Plasma or LCD) from any company do so.

The phillips 29PT8836/94 recomended to me doesn't seem to exist in the Indian market. Can anyone confirm that please?

We're going to the Sony showroom in a while. Will see if we can find anything good and reasonable. Theire 29" HDTV retails at close to 40K (might pick that up).

Shan2nu
Old 25th July 2006, 13:09   #69
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shan,

Take a look at this Samsung slim widescreen TV. Seems perfect for you if you don't mind stretching the budget.

Or else this one would be great as well.
Old 25th July 2006, 13:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

I liked the Samsung wide screen. You get the quality of a conventional TV, the aspect ratio "16:9" and space saving of a Plasma/LCD tv and the clarity of a HDTV. Perfect!!!

Hmm...site says almost 70K, but i've heard the prices have some down a bit. Lets see. It looks good though. Will surely check it out.

Shan2nu
Old 25th July 2006, 15:00   #71
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

have u checked out the panasonic 29 inch models. real steal at the price.

also... why do we need HDTV now. We are not going to move into HDTV transmission for now(atleast till 2008)... by the time LCD/Plasma prices should drop.

Even if we say we might use Xbox 360/Blueray/HD-DVD... they are going to be atleast a year away from main stream usage and availability.

My $$$ would be on a tv which supports 16:9 and progressive scan. Philips is around 30K odd.

if u want big screen to watch movies ... go for a projector...
Old 25th July 2006, 15:12   #72
Senior - BHPian

2008 is not far off and if it is confirmed that HDTV broadcasting starts by then and HD-DVD, Blueray are going to be launched, it is wise to go for HDTV now. I don't think Shan2nu is buying a tv for the sake of HD but he is upgrading his current tv and is making sure that his new tv will support future formats. And not everyone will replace their tv every year.
I am also quite impressed with the Samsung wide display Slim tv. Hope the picture quality is good.

Shan2nu, when you are testing the tv at the dealership carry your own dvds like Gladiator and some other that has good vibrant colors. Gladiator has lots of dark shades and the tv should not show any artifacts on black images. In one of plasma tv reviews in AV magazine, Samsung plasma fared worst in these tests.
Old 25th July 2006, 17:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang

My $$$ would be on a tv which supports 16:9 and progressive scan. Philips is around 30K odd.
Progressive scan players need HDTV ready displays to show their true stuff..

Shan, try to compare TVs side by side and be sure to include a Philips Pixel Plus 2 in that. When I did this, I found the Philips to be far superior to the Sony and cheaper by 40% !! I had almost decided on Sony and had to change my choice when I saw it next to the Philips.

And 29PT8836/94 seems to be there in the market. Call up the Philips regional office and they can tell you which dealer has it in stock..
Old 25th July 2006, 18:08   #74
BHPian

got a plasma 42 inch abt 2 months ago and it is great .. love the picture quality.. have my pc hooked up to it alonbg with a hd DVD player now waiting for DISH TV ..

oops it's LG
Old 26th July 2006, 14:26   #75
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

have any of u guys seen this

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...=in&l=en&s=bsd

its a dell 24 inch monitor which can be used as a tv too.. supports hdtv through dvi (not hdmi) and costs around 40K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks