Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2005, 12:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

looking for an ipod guru pref. in mumbai

I have about 9000 (almost 60GB) MP3s (burnt from my CDs) on my hard disk.

The MP3s are organised as follows:

MP3 Folder / Artist Name / Album Name / Song Name.mp3

I would like to copy this entire MP3 Folder on to my 60GB ipod as well as 2 other 60GB Ipod (brother's and his girl friend).

Then each of us can delete songs and artists as per our preference when each of uss has the time.

How would i do this?
Old 9th August 2005, 18:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

As far as i see it - 2 ways to go about it -

1) make 3 copies of the folders with 3 different names of the persons and then each of you choose and pick and delete the artists / songs you want. then one by one connect the 3 ipods and copy

2) copy the whole 60 GB on each of the 3 i-pods. and then each of you can delete songs as per your free time.

But i guess your i-pod is linked to your HD , so when you attach the other 2 i-pods you will have to delink it from whatever computer they were registered on and link it up to your comp. The i-pod will ask you the question when you connect, choose yes and proceed

Those are the 2 ways i know - but yeah if its possible to copy and paste the folder with the i-pod seen as a drive on the computer - this will be more easier !

hope this helps

cheers
Old 9th August 2005, 22:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

thanks NC,
I am told you cannot delete using the Ipod but must use playlists to delete. I dont have a playlist. imagine going though 9000 songs to make a play list. so if i we cant delete on the ipod then option 2 is not possible right?

We downloaded the whole 50GB (the formatted ipod has 55GB free) on one ipod. it took about 10-12 hours using USB 1.0. in fact we left it on overnight so we dont know exactly how long it took.

the other 2 ipods have not been registered yet (unopened box). however they will not be used in India. My brother and his GF live in Holland and are visiting.

how do i do option 1. do i use windows to make 3 folders one for each user and then copy the entire 60GB to each folder. then each user has their own folder. However the other 2 users dont need to use my PC once all the songs are on their ipods.

I have one more idea. Get 2 USB 80GB hard drives. Copy the folder into each. give each user the whole 60GB on a USB drive. then they can install and register their ipods on their laptops and use the USB drive as the source. Can this work? the USB drive and ipod will have to connected to their laptops at the same time. My brothers GF is game my brother is not.
Old 9th August 2005, 23:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Making playlists makes it easier - but its a little time consuming ! and since you have the folders organised - just make a playlist in itunes of the same name of your mp3 folders and then import each folder into itunes library , immediately copy and paste the songs into the playlist of the same name. i know its time consuming but thats what i did .....

well as for just selecting the folder and copy/ paste into ipod will tell u tomm ....i have pmed u my number.

cheers
Old 9th August 2005, 23:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

wow that just flew over my head.

i thought for making a playlist i would have to search through all the artists and albums and songs and select each song indivvidually. that would be a huge effort across 150 artists, 600 albums, and 9000 songs. i organised my folders becuase i knew that if i did not i would never be able to locate a song.

I have downloaded foobar but have not have found the time or guts to use it. i believe there is a utility that can allow foobar to be used with a ipod called foopod but i have not investigated that yet.

so my idea was for each of us to take our time deleting the songs of our ipods and we would each have our individual playlists on our ipods. then sync the ipods to our PCs and each ipod would dump the playlist on the PC but apparently ipods only take songs from PCs not the reverse.
Old 12th August 2005, 18:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I have one more idea. Get 2 USB 80GB hard drives. Copy the folder into each. give each user the whole 60GB on a USB drive. then they can install and register their ipods on their laptops and use the USB drive as the source. Can this work? the USB drive and ipod will have to connected to their laptops at the same time. My brothers GF is game my brother is not.
*cough cough*

The ipods themselves can be used as USB harddrives if you dont have itunes running! (but songs wont be playable)

Then, your bro and his gf can
1. dump the entire 60GB on thier respective computers back home
2. delete everything off their ipods
3. install itunes
4. delete the songs they dont want on itunes itself
5. copy the songs back onto their ipods (this time playable)

Yay. That simple (not). Just like everything else mac.

cya
R

ps - "hey how do i right click this?" "uh...you dont...the mouse has one button...duh!"
jee...i hate macs.
good design. NOT.
more like good styling + materials and bad design!
(forgive my rant rudraji et al)
Old 13th August 2005, 11:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ps - "hey how do i right click this?" "uh...you dont...the mouse has one button...duh!"
jee...i hate macs.
good design. NOT.
more like good styling + materials and bad design!
hahaha! I just had that conversation with Rudra 2 days ago!
Old 13th August 2005, 13:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

Just when I wanted to get a Mac (the wone with the CD player behind the monitor and/or the small one becuase it is soo cute) you guys kill that.

Ok....i got a question for all the PC literate ones.....
our current config:
IBM T41p laptop for me for work (60GB, 1GB RAM, 128MB video RAM)
Pundit mini Desktop with Hyperthread, 2 x 400GB SATA harddisks, 2 x 1GB RAM, Firewire, 128MB Geforce 1/2 height Video card, DVD writer, Benq 19" LCD on wall hung bracket with camera and mic, Wireless KB and Mouse, Altec 6100 2.1 speaker system wall hung, 1.5KVA APC power backup.
Sony GR370 laptop for my son.
I want to get my wife a Mac. Which Mac would you recommend? The Mini (with a 19" LC like mine) or the 17" G5? What do they cost in India? The 19" LCD monitor costs about 25K so if that is the difference between the mini and G5 then the G5 is a better deal.
Old 13th August 2005, 21:10   #9
SMG
BHPian

[quote]Rehaan / Rtech:
jee...i hate macs. more like good styling + materials and bad design!

Navin:

Just when I wanted to get a Mac (the wone with the CD player behind the monitor and/or the small one becuase it is soo cute) you guys kill that.

QUOTE]

Just for information:

Apple has introduced a new mouse 'Mighty mouse' with 2/4 buttons with a scroll wheel using new generation technology and tons of features and programmable options , all with slick and pleasing design that Apple is famous for.

And ya, it works too, each time, every time, all the time , flawlessly.

The Mighty Mouse sells (ships within 1-2 days) for $49 @Apple and Amazon offers it for $46.

I got one for me the day it was introduced and love it.

BTW Mighty Mouse works (or rather designed to work) with Win XP too.

So happy 'Right Clicking' even with Macs too.

Navin: I could have suggested something on your ipod issue but you specifically mentioned 'ipod guru from Mumbai' so sorry.

Last edited by SMG : 13th August 2005 at 21:23.
Old 13th August 2005, 21:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

[quote=SMG]
Quote:
Navin: I could have suggested something on your ipod issue but you specifically mentioned 'ipod guru from Mumbai' so sorry.
The only reason i asked for a mumbai guru is so that if i did not understand the stuff they post i can call them. anyway please feel free to suggest any alternates. so far i have seen 3 or 4.

1. create multiple users and install i tunes for each user
2. create playlists for each user
3. download the entire list to each ipod and then use ipod agent to copy the stuff of the ipod to the PC
4. use the ipod as a hard disk to transport the mp3s then after dowloading the mp3s to another PC each user has his own PC and itunes and playlist.

disadvantages.
1. too many users
2. too cumbersome to go through 7-9000 songs for each user
3. never used ipod agent so there might be a learning curve
4. the ipod cannot be used untill the entire collection is downloaded to the seperate PCs.

i hope you got something simpler and easier to do
Old 10th September 2006, 00:45   #11
BHPian

Well,I have a similar issue guys,hence I'm pulling up this old thread.The issue is that I already have an Ipod mini installed on my Pc.In addition to that,I just bought myself a Motorazr V3i with Itunes.so in effect,I now have two Ipods.Now the rule is that you cannot use two Ipod devices on a single Itunes software.so when I plug in my cellphone via the USB port,it gets istalled and starts charging,but the phone does not show on my Itunes software.
I was told that the only way to get it working is by creating another user on my pc,set up the Itunes software again, and then sync the phone with this new itunes.So I did that but it still does'nt work .
Now is there anything I can do about this?

PS-I was experimenting with my cousin's pc and installed my Itunes software and my phone on that Pc.Could that be the reason why its not working on my pc? If anyone could throw some light on this .thanks
Old 10th September 2006, 01:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

i think it is possible in itunes there is a option of manually updating the ipod one has to connect the ipod and just drag and drop it on the itunes window simple and easy....I use three ipods till now no problem faced.....no need for any user and any thing else.....
Old 10th September 2006, 02:43   #13
BHPian

Thanks Low bass maker,My problem is resolved.The phone suddenly showed up on the Itunes window after five minutes of being plugged in.All is well now.thanks
Old 10th September 2006, 12:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Sony GR370 laptop for my son.
You son has a laptop Isn't he about 4 years old?? Damn he's a lucky kid to have a father like you!!
Old 15th September 2006, 04:33   #15
BHPian

hello navin sir.. i think the 2 80 Gb USB HDD idea is the best. they get additional space too after they are done with the ipod .. and or.. the HDD can also serve as a backup for them with all the music incase anything does happen to the ipod... now as far as Mac's are concerned...
i love mac's .. they RULE !!.. stable like no other. I'd die with only my Pc desktop.. thank god for the powewrbooks.. also any logitech mouse works with the mac... i use the logitech trackman . and yes you get right click and left click.
and now with the xeon mac desktops.. you get the best of both worlds.. stonking Osx performace and Stonking Win Xp performance too.. Support for up to 16 Gb of ram.what more can you ask for ??
Windows x64 bit edition strongly recommended to use anything more than 3 GB in windows. this is a limitation with all PC's running Xp home or Xp pro. im seriously thinkin of using my pc for pure Gaming now.. ofcourse with the odd bit of music making on it too..VSTI's are the only reason i need the pc now.. thats it.. if i wasn't in the music buisness id have scrapped my pc or just used it for games.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks