Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 22:33   #1
BANNED

Using Thinkpad charger with Dell laptop

Can a Thinkpad charger be used with a Dell Latitude E4300 Laptop?
My Dell Charger which came with the laptop has the following specs.

- Input - 100-240V - 50-60Hz 1.5A
- Output - 19.5 V - 3.34A

My Thinikpad Charger
- Output - 20 V - 4.5A

Is the 19.5 V - 20V a major difference?
Likewise the 3.34A - 4.5 A?

Ofcourse the pin to plug it in to the laptop is different - can I get the pin changed to a Dell one at some small shop or something?Asking because this is a new Thinkpad Charger I purchased as a spare for my Thinkpad & then I ended up changing my laptop from Thinkpad to Dell - hence I was wondering if there is a way to use the thinkpad one a spare for my Dell?

Last edited by carboy : 21st December 2009 at 22:35.
Old 21st December 2009, 22:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Can a Thinkpad charger be used with a Dell Latitude E4300 Laptop?
My Dell Charger which came with the laptop has the following specs.

- Output - 19.5 V - 3.34A

My Thinikpad Charger
- Output - 20 V - 4.5A

Is the 19.5 V - 20V a major difference?
Likewise the 3.34A - 4.5 A?

Ofcourse the pin to plug it in to the laptop is different - can I get the pin changed to a Dell one at some small shop or something?Asking because this is a new Thinkpad Charger I purchased as a spare for my Thinkpad & then I ended up changing my laptop from Thinkpad to Dell - hence I was wondering if there is a way to use the thinkpad one a spare for my Dell?
You will certainly ruin your laptop if you swap the chargers by desi jugad technology.

The MB is extremely sensitive to voltage especially higher voltage, I know that it is designed to withstand changes to voltage to some extent but it certainly does not mean that you use it over a sustained period of time.
Please don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 21st December 2009, 23:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi carboy,

Beware of the cross use of the Charger. My sincere advise is better not to. If at all necessary try to buy a new one from dell itself.
Old 21st December 2009, 23:36   #4
BHPian

Why would you want to risk a new Dell for a charger?

Being a former Dell Technician, I would advise not to cause the motherboards are very sensitive and there are 90% chances that it could be effected. Even though the voltage and all that is the same.

PS: Why dont you just put that Thinkpad charger on the classifieds section and give it away. Then buy a new Dell charger if need be??
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

1 amp makes a lot of difference and will certainly ruin your mobo and battery in the long run
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have an old inspiron 8500 chrger lying around un used... You can have it, if its compatible with your laptop.
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi abhij,
It is a great idea for a BHPian. Why don't you give the specification of your charger. I mean the amp,voltage HZ etc before sending. So that he can compare and collect from you if it is of any use for him.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

AMP rating is not that important. It just means the maximum current the charger is able to put out.
For example, in case of dell, there are multiple charger models, which can out out from 3-6A, but voltage is same.

Now having 20V given to MB instead of 19.5V, again a very minor difference.
From an electrical standpoint, there are not going to be any issues.
Infact, If you take 10 different chargers from dell, and attach a voltmeter, not all of them will show 19.5 V. The voltage given out will range from 19-20V.

However if your thinkpad charger gives out something like 21 volts instead of 20V(5% error can happen in case charger is very old etc.,) you have an issue.
So just put a multimeter to the terminals, and if voltage is in range of 19.5-20.5V, you can go ahead without any issues.

Now coming to the point of the FUD spread by companies that third party chargers can damage devices. This is not actually true unless you are using a cheap charger which does not fully remove the "AC component" from the output. So instead of a stable DC pulse, you are getting an AC pulse which has its mean at 20V. Digital multimeter will still show 20V, but the spikes will kill your equipment.

That said, since your other charger is also from a reliable source, you can go for it.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Now coming to the point of the FUD spread by companies that third party chargers can damage devices. This is not actually true unless you are using a cheap charger which does not fully remove the "AC component" from the output. So instead of a stable DC pulse
+1 to that it is FUD , But make sure if you are changing the connector then the new connector should be soldered and insulated in reliable manner just twisting the pair of wire and putting insulation tape is not ideal choice.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:02   #10
BANNED

Quote:
AMP rating is not that important. It just means the maximum current the charger is able to put out.
For example, in case of dell, there are multiple charger models, which can out out from 3-6A, but voltage is same.

Now having 20V given to MB instead of 19.5V, again a very minor difference.
From an electrical standpoint, there are not going to be any issues.
Infact, If you take 10 different chargers from dell, and attach a voltmeter, not all of them will show 19.5 V. The voltage given out will range from 19-20V.

However if your thinkpad charger gives out something like 21 volts instead of 20V(5% error can happen in case charger is very old etc.,) you have an issue.
So just put a multimeter to the terminals, and if voltage is in range of 19.5-20.5V, you can go ahead without any issues.

Now coming to the point of the FUD spread by companies that third party chargers can damage devices. This is not actually true unless you are using a cheap charger which does not fully remove the "AC component" from the output. So instead of a stable DC pulse, you are getting an AC pulse which has its mean at 20V. Digital multimeter will still show 20V, but the spikes will kill your equipment.

That said, since your other charger is also from a reliable source, you can go for it.
Wow!
Thank you for the detailed reply - I will go to an electrical/electronic shop in Chembur & see if he can do it.
Old 23rd December 2009, 02:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i will have to disagree on that.

Say your cam uses a 3 volt li-on battery. or your mobile phone. Can you drive the cam or mobile with a 3volt button cell.
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

Say your cam uses a 3 volt li-on battery. or your mobile phone. Can you drive the cam or mobile with a 3volt button cell.
in this case IBM charger is rated at higher AMP, so it should be easily able to withstand the load. in other words, yes, the camera can safely power a watch which would otherwise use a button cell.

in all probability both the chargers would provide much less current in actual life.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:24   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
in this case IBM charger is rated at higher AMP, so it should be easily able to withstand the load. in other words, yes, the camera can safely power a watch which would otherwise use a button cell.

in all probability both the chargers would provide much less current in actual life.
@SirAlec, I meant other way. A higher amp charger can be used
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

no you can't.

can you use a truck battery (12volt) on a Maruti also a 12 volt.
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no you can't.

can you use a truck battery (12volt) on a Maruti also a 12 volt.
Sure why not ? Battery and charger are not exactly analogous but keeping space constraint aside why not ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks