Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2005, 11:23   #1
BHPian

need info on creative zen micro 5gb mp3 player

guys i am planning to buy an mp3 player soon i hv short listed the ipod mini 4gb and the creative zen micro 5gb,any one who has some info on creative as to hows the performance and sound effects?mp3.com rates the zen slightly higher than the ipod coz of an fm radio player.both ipod and creative have 8.7/10....suggestions welcome.
heres a link to a pic of the creative zen....
http://images.in.creative.com/images...k_lowresA6.jpg
Old 29th August 2005, 11:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

IPOD has more APPEAL, and ZEN has more value.
But beware, your IPOD is effectively dead once battery service life is over. Battery service life can be between 6 months to 2 years. Make sure you buy a player where you can replace the battery easily
Old 29th August 2005, 11:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Apple rules this segment by FAR. The iPod is far more user friendly than its creative rival. Get a 4gb iPod or a 6gb if budget permits. Apple has introduced better quality batteries for its players 5 months back. The mini now comes with 18Hours battery life! As for battery replacement, i am not sure how much the authorized apple store charges for the same but i am sure its gonna be very high. Although i have seen cheaper alternatives on ebay, wherein get a battery for the ipod with a do it yourself kit.
Old 29th August 2005, 18:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

iPod is not just a MP3 player but its a lifestyle product.

Quote:
But beware, your IPOD is effectively dead once battery service life is over.
STOP spreading fud!

u can easily get battery replaced from Apple store
http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html
http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

besides there are lots of articles on the internet about changing battery
Old 29th August 2005, 18:59   #5
BHPian

i think the creative zen comes with a replaceable battery...but wud it be a good buy?
Old 29th August 2005, 19:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

MoodSwings on this forum has Creative 40 GB MP3 player. Here is my two cents worth of advise. Creative is slightly bulkier as opposed to the IPod. It doesnt have that much snob value. It gives you more BANG for the buck as it is priced lower compared to an IPod. So you can buy a 40 GB creative where you could get a 20 GB IPod. The sound quality of the creative is also lower in comparison to the IPod. Its like 18-20, as I have heard them both. Apart from this, some IPod interfaces that are designed for cars dont work with Creative.
All in all given the choice I will take IPod any day, unless you are looking for more storage space at a cheaper price. You will never regret an IPod but you will regret a Creative.
Old 29th August 2005, 19:29   #7
BHPian

thnx for the advice ppl,i guess i mite be going in for an ipod
Old 30th August 2005, 10:03   #8
Team-BHP Support

I am not spreading FUD. If you have read the links given by apple, you have to send your IPOD to apple and they will replace your IPOD with a new unit for 59$. You lose all your songs and settings since the IPOD you get is a replacement IPOD.
Old 30th August 2005, 10:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I am not spreading FUD. If you have read the links given by apple, you have to send your IPOD to apple and they will replace your IPOD with a new unit for 59$. You lose all your songs and settings since the IPOD you get is a replacement IPOD.
u had previously said that iPod is dead once the battery is dead
WHICH ISN'T TRUE AT ALL

for the songs : isn't the whole concpet of Mp3 player is that you PUT SONGS ON MP3 PLAYER FROM YOUR COMPUTER ?
if that is true then there won't be a problem will there?
Besides Apple has already warned about the same.

for the settings : Quote from the Apple iPod Out of warrenty battery replacement program

Quote:
If your original iPod was personalized by Apple, your replacement iPod will be automatically personalized with same text. If your original iPod was custom laser engraved by another company, your replacement iPod will not be personalized.
read the bold text.
besides the other settings are the hacks which people have managed, e.g. like running OSX on iPod, having organiser, making iPod work like a PIM which won't be saved.

Last edited by adya33 : 30th August 2005 at 10:16.
Old 30th August 2005, 11:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

When i meant settings i did not mean hacks. Settings and personalization are differnt thing. As for battery replacement, is it practical for somebody to ship his IPOD back the the US? I guess the IPOD replacement package which costs 59$ is for US users only, did not see any such information in apple stores in india.
As for songs, you have to use third party utils to transfer songs from ipod to PC. One such utility is IPOD rip. For someone who exclusively uses itunes and is not computer savvy its an issue.

IPOD has great snob value and show value, but creative 5GB is not the only competition available in the market. There are loads of players from iriver, gmini etc., which offer such players with amazing features.

As for my statement
iPod is dead once the battery is dead it is true. In apples battery replacement program your old ipod is replaced by new. Total cost including shipping(In US) is 65$.
Old 30th August 2005, 11:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

The iPod is a terrific case to study from the marketing viewpoint. However, looking purely at the technical aspects and comparing the features with other makes, the ipod loses out to others.

And this battery bit is new info to me, and another case of a serious oversight in its' design. Anyone who tries to justify the fact that you have to send you pod back to the shop and get a new one is either kidding themselves or really taken in by all the marketing!

However, one area where you can't fault the ipod is with its endless list of accessories that can be found everywhere now. So in that area it really makes more sense to buy an iPod.
Old 30th August 2005, 18:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for battery replacement, is it practical for somebody to ship his IPOD back the the US?
depends on the person & its not like a weekly thing
besides there are lots of DIY tutorials for changing iPod battery yourself

Quote:
As for songs, you have to use third party utils to transfer songs from ipod to PC.
Apple manufatures iPod & iTunes
with the iPod you get iTunes software for no additional cost
I don't understand how this makes iTunes "third party"

Quote:
IPOD has great snob value and show value, but creative 5GB is not the only competition available in the market. There are loads of players from iriver, gmini etc., which offer such players with amazing features.
Creative, iRiver etc make MP3 music player
Apple makes LIFESTYLE PRODUCT

Quote:
iPod is dead once the battery is dead it is true. In apples battery replacement program your old ipod is replaced by new. Total cost including shipping(In US) is 65$.
so it matters to you what serial number your music player carries?

I see it as
your iPod battery dies after some time
you send your iPod back to Apple
they send it back to you with new battery
& it is the same model which you sent to them, has same features
THE ONLY DIFFERENT THING IS THE SERIAL NO
& I don't think it matters to most people what serial number their music player is

Quote:
And this battery bit is new info to me, and another case of a serious oversight in its' design. Anyone who tries to justify the fact that you have to send you pod back to the shop and get a new one is either kidding themselves or really taken in by all the marketing!
like I said you don't have to send iPod back to Apple every week.
There is a warrenty of 2 years on iPod, if you have defective battery Apple replaces it for free
If your battery life drops to below 50% in second year Apple replaces your battery for free

Just answer my question
"Any car has to sent to the service center to get it serviced. So is the person sending this car to service center to get it serviced crazy?"

besides don't forget with the intergrated battery the main advantage you get is when you are transferring music to your iPod the battery also gets automatically charged
Old 30th August 2005, 19:11   #13
BHPian

still confused ipod or any other product....ipod is gettin the maximum votes here...so i think i shud buy one but the battery thingy is a bit confusing.
Old 30th August 2005, 19:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

forget the battery problem. You'll feel like changing it after 2 years anyways as something newer and better is always around the corner.
Old 30th August 2005, 19:27   #15
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolsun216
still confused ipod or any other product....ipod is gettin the maximum votes here...so i think i shud buy one but the battery thingy is a bit confusing.
Go ahead with iPod ... by the time your battery will be dead, im sure something or other option will be available here.
Take ipod .... personal experience .... noways im gonna send i back to US again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks