Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 13:10   #1
BHPian

Facebook Account hacked. Facebook support of no Use.

This has happened to one of my friends.
1. Facebook account hacked and email address changed.
2. Done by a known person.
3. Posted unwanted information in profile and some photos too.

Actions taken.
1. Reported to facebook thrice and that too by different people. No response.
2. Police claim that only a court order can be used to forcibly delete profile. (will be a long drawn process)
3. Repeated efforts by police to pursuade the culprit havent helped either. The culprit is missing now

We have searched the net for various options. Reporting it to facebook seems to be widely suggested one. Quite a few of them are in the same boat with no response from facebook.

Anyone knows people working in facebook? That would really be helpful.
What are my other options?
Old 9th April 2010, 13:39   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
2. Done by a known person.
If you are sure about this give a complaint to the cyber cell and they will take care of the rest.

http://www.cyberpolicebangalore.nic.in/

Last edited by wildon : 9th April 2010 at 13:44. Reason: Cyber cell info added
Old 9th April 2010, 13:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

In the meantime, create a new profile, add your friends, and let them know. Soon nobody will care about the hacked profile.
Old 9th April 2010, 14:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
If you are sure about this give a complaint to the cyber cell and they will take care of the rest.

Cyber crime
Thanks! Will contact them. The police at nearest police station mentioned that they have contacted them. However, only upon a court order can this be forced on facebook. Thats what we hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
In the meantime, create a new profile, add your friends, and let them know. Soon nobody will care about the hacked profile.
True. But they want the photos and some information which is posted to be removed.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:02   #5
BHPian

There is a company called Text 100 that manages their communications in India - based in New Delhi. you can get in touch with them
Old 9th April 2010, 16:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
This has happened to one of my friends.
1. Facebook account hacked and email address changed.
Now I feel I should delete all the content in my FB and Orkut accounts!!
Old 9th April 2010, 21:52   #7
BHPian

Help Center | Facebook
Old 9th April 2010, 22:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
my rule of thumb is not putting anything on my FB/orkut account that I do not want to be seen by the world. that's why all my content is public.

If somebody can get/fabricate your photo/info from elsewhere, there is no stopping whether you have an FB account or not.
Old 10th April 2010, 13:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post

I have been mulling about this since some time. Now that this incident is posted, I am even more worried. Also, if you happen to notice, Orkut's privacy policy is better than FB's policy. If X friend of mine likes a photo of Y friend of his, I can easily access Y's photos. Absolute lack of privacy.
Old 10th April 2010, 14:09   #10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I have been mulling about this since some time. Now that this incident is posted, I am even more worried. Also, if you happen to notice, Orkut's privacy policy is better than FB's policy. If X friend of mine likes a photo of Y friend of his, I can easily access Y's photos. Absolute lack of privacy.
In this case, you can access Y's photos only if Y's privacy settings for photos (that particular album) are set as: friends of friends or everyone. Otherwise, you can't access Y's photos.
Old 10th April 2010, 15:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Facebook has enough privacy controls to restrict content even among your own friends. And the OP's friend's account was most probably "hacked" by social engineering. There have been no Facebook exploits in the recent past. As long as you people are careful, nothing is going to happen. But please, go ahead and type in your login credentials on some random social networking site just because you want to invite your friends over from Facebook. After all, people on the internet are trustworthy, right? Right?
Old 10th April 2010, 17:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Its true about the facebook. Even if the photo is set to be seen by your friends only, if a friend of yours decides to send the link to your photo to someone else, anyone can see that photo with that link.

Thats why one should be careful in posting things on social networking sites. Privacy is nearly non existent on facebook.

Last edited by Abes : 10th April 2010 at 17:48.
Old 10th April 2010, 20:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
... As long as you people are careful, nothing is going to happen...
+1

Few Tips :
1) Don't choose a "secret question" which anyone who knows you would be able to answer
2) Don't use the same password for multiple sites (use a p/w manager with a masterpassword if you dont want to remember 100 different ones)
3) Watch out for shady facebook apps as they are a COMMON cause of viruses + sensitive data theft
4) DONT ever enter your email / password in a suspicious / untrustable form/site/email - or over the phone
5) Remember to log out
6) Don't log in to sensitive accounts on public computers (keyloggers etc are quite common for stealing passwords)

cya
R
Old 10th April 2010, 20:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

And Get a proper AV installed. No freebies that don't do the work. The really good ones will take care of Virus, Spyware, Adware,Trojans etc.

A lot of Trojans are keyloggers and they will send out a lot of information about you!

Watch whom you add as a friend. Make sure its someone you know, not someone acting as if they know you. You can share your photos only with friends or even customize it to share with a select few amongst your friends. Never share as "Everyone" or "Friends of friends"!!

By the way, McAfee is giving a free 6 month complimentary subscription to all Facebook users. Just go to Facebook and do a search form McAfee. Get to the McAfee page and go through the instructions.
Old 10th April 2010, 22:13   #15
BHPian

+1 to rehaan ! If FB can set the default privacy setting to not share personal information to any one, IMO think that would take care of 50% of such X accessing Y's photo issues. Half of the crowd are lazy to evn open the settings/security section of their profile.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks