Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 15:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

How do I? Connect 6 TV from a single setup box?

A colleague of mine had setup 6 LCD's in each room. He has only one setup box( Tata Sky/DISH TV) and wants to feed all TV from this. Also, its should be possible to swap channels in each TV individually.

Hotel's etc have the solution but do we have one for home?
Old 4th May 2010, 15:09   #2
BHPian

As far as I know, in a set top box, if you a splitter you cannot change channels individually. Tata sky has something called Multiroom subscription. They charge close to Rs.150 for one additional connection. In these you will have a separate set top box for each TV. This is the only option that comes to my mind.

Edit : you can have a maximum of 3 connections apart from the primary connection under one subscriber ID

Last edited by ElantraGT : 4th May 2010 at 15:13.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:09   #3
BANNED

AFAIK Tata Sky provides separate boxes for each TV. The cost of the box is almost the same as a full system (box + dish). Only difference is you choose the package on the main connection and pay for it. The additional boxes come with the same package but are charged only Rs.100 (maybe 150) per month per box.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 4th May 2010 at 15:17.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:16   #4
BHPian

I recently brought an tata sky connection and while installing i enquired about the multi-connections. Each Dish antenna is capable of providing max up-to four connections and for the multiple set top boxes are required. I also asked the technician is there any workaround so that we can connect two. And the he said it cannot be.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Not just TataSky, but all operators use the same system - you change channels in the settop box, not on the TV. So if you want to see different channels in each room, you will need to get multiple set-top boxes.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

All 6 TVs can be fed from the single box, provided everyone will be watching the same channel at any given time. Individual TV viewers can't view desired channel with one single box.

If 6 TVs need to be showing 6 different programs, there has to be 6 boxes connected to each of them.

Or there should be some advanced box which has 6+1 digital tuners and 6 AV outputs In my knowledge, none of the DTH provides offers such a box.

EDIT: The only option your friend has at the moment is to feed all TVs with analog cable - tuner is well within the TV and each TV can change channels independently. Otherwise, he can buy 6 boxes if he's rich enough and wants to view digital TV itself

Last edited by clevermax : 4th May 2010 at 15:58.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
AFAIK Tata Sky provides separate boxes for each TV. The cost of the box is almost the same as a full system (box + dish). Only difference is you choose the package on the main connection and pay for it. The additional boxes come with the same package but are charged only Rs.100 (maybe 150) per month per box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
I recently brought an tata sky connection and while installing i enquired about the multi-connections. Each Dish antenna is capable of providing max up-to four connections and for the multiple set top boxes are required. I also asked the technician is there any workaround so that we can connect two. And the he said it cannot be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not just TataSky, but all operators use the same system - you change channels in the settop box, not on the TV. So if you want to see different channels in each room, you will need to get multiple set-top boxes.
Thanks guys! Seems that's the solution then and hence called TataSky to confirm.

As Otomobil said, its 4 boxes from a single dish. I need to pay for 4 boxes @ 1599 each. I will have to pay 150Rs/box for channel subscription.

I is not me It's for my friend.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:03   #8
BANNED

How much would it cost to get one of those big dish the cable operators use and install that instead?
Old 4th May 2010, 16:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
How much would it cost to get one of those big dish the cable operators use and install that instead?
The big dish just ensures enough signal strength from the LNB to feed multiple boxes (tuners) so you still would need multiple boxes connected to it if you want to view different channels in different TVs.
Old 4th May 2010, 17:45   #10
BHPian

having a bigger dish will not let you use paid channels and it would turn out to be very expensive than subscribing multi-room package.
Old 4th May 2010, 22:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

You could look at getting dreamboxes for each room and using card sharing to share 1 card between all the boxes.
Old 5th May 2010, 12:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
You could look at getting dreamboxes for each room and using card sharing to share 1 card between all the boxes.
Card?

All I have will be once cable TV setup box and I want to share this across multiple rooms.

The Tata Sky solution was dropped as they dont have enough regional channels.

Back to square one!
Old 5th May 2010, 14:30   #13
Team-BHP Support

Use the regular TV signal output (RF) from the box, run it through a amp and use splitter to feed it to 6 TV's. It will not give the best quality but is the cheapest and simplest option available.
Old 5th May 2010, 14:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Use the regular TV signal output (RF) from the box, run it through a amp and use splitter to feed it to 6 TV's. It will not give the best quality but is the cheapest and simplest option available.

Get a custom made one?
Old 5th May 2010, 15:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Card?

All I have will be once cable TV setup box and I want to share this across multiple rooms.

The Tata Sky solution was dropped as they dont have enough regional channels.

Back to square one!
Basically there are ways of replicating the card on your tata sky and use it in other set top boxes similar to the one tata sky gives but at a much cheaper price. Heck, some people even share it over the internet! I don't know how it works in detail, but had done a fair bit of research a couple of years back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks