Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 23:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you have 99 or a 199 plan in Mumbai? I am not aware of the offers there.
I'm sorry, I've forgotten to mention in the previous post that I'm a Vodafone postpaid subscriber. That means no unlimited GPRS @ 99. And that's just the basic GPRS. The cheapest Office Connect is some Rs. 299 / month = 200 mb of data usage free.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:33   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I'm sorry, I've forgotten to mention in the previous post that I'm a Vodafone postpaid subscriber. That means no unlimited GPRS @ 99. And that's just the basic GPRS. The cheapest Office Connect is some Rs. 299 / month = 200 mb of data usage free.
I thought all major need should have come down! Looks like some have yet to.
It works very well for me.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

I have to admit, like someone else stated here, battery consumptions get very bad, when the wifi mode is on constantly and it keeps refreshing mails constantly. So, I disable wifi scan and mail sync, and only use it at times when I want to read my mails and then manually refresh
Old 7th July 2010, 13:04   #49
BHPian

Have been using Nokia E-63 for last one year in mumbai through Airtel.
Got the GPRS activitated which costs me an addittional Rs.99\- per month.
Have company's email configured in it (Company's IT dept did it as it required configuring with the company's server).
Also have my personal emails configured.
All the mails are synchronised automatically at the intervals as fixed by me.
Daily listen to FM also for about 2 hrs and avg.talk time is about 30 minutes daily.
Ealrier my battery used to last for about 2 1/2 days but now with the passage of time it lasts for about 1 1/2 day after full charging.
Old 1st August 2010, 16:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

what is the payment like ( do you have to pay for the blackberry services? )
a friend is considering buying a grey market blackberry vs the E71. gprs costs around 100 bucks for 2 GB, but will the blackberry services cost more ?
Old 1st August 2010, 17:37   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
what is the payment like ( do you have to pay for the blackberry services? )
a friend is considering buying a grey market blackberry vs the E71. gprs costs around 100 bucks for 2 GB, but will the blackberry services cost more ?
If you buy a BB, monthly charges are a minimum of 600/ for Airtel. (Thats huge)
For regular GPRS as you said the minimum is 100 for 2GB (National roaming included). That is real VFM.
This GPRS is good to get you all the BB like features and they work very well.
I think the only difference is you dont get any corporate support, but BB has one.

I am using the GPRS 100 feature on my E71. It works like a charm. With syncing times a bit prolongated
(15 minutes for the peak period and 30 minutes for non-peak hours for corporate mail and twice a day sync
for Gmail I get near almost 3 days of period Wifi used intermittently.
Old 1st August 2010, 18:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

i personally use gmail over google sync on my android, and its pretty much real time
I guess it pretty much means we're getting the Nokia ( doubt that he , being the poor college students that we are, can shell out the 600 bucks)
Old 29th October 2010, 10:38   #53
BHPian

Hi,

I bought a E72 yesterday; slipped in my SIM and AirTel's Mobile Office was set up by itself.

Then I setup mail using the "Setup Mail" link on the phone home - I configured Gmail and my office account.

In the settings->When To sync, I have set the interval to 15 minutes for both the accounts. Now there is a strange issue. After the phone have not been used for some time, when I unlock it and go to my office mail account, it is shown as disconnected (The icon on top-right corner is red with a cross, though it connects by itself almost immediately and icon turn to a green circle.

In gmail it is always shown connected - icon is green circle. Also the mail delivery isn't instantaneous - it'd delayed by 20-30 minutes. Do I need to configure something else, or just setting up a mail account this way is enough?

Regards

Nitin
Old 29th October 2010, 16:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

How did you setup the email, I mean did you accept to use Nokia push email or went with the regular POP3 / IMAP setup?

If you are using push email and set Sync new updates to 'on' under "When to Sync", the phone will stay connected to the mail service. If it off, and you set an interval for Time Sync, then it will connect only at the interval and will remain disconnected.

Also, if you opted to use push email, the first email you added will be your nokia messaging id - you can login using the id and the same password you provided at Nokia Messaging: Home - you can login and change settings (folders you want to sync, server settings, etc) as well as remove accounts.
Old 30th October 2010, 09:08   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
How did you setup the email, I mean did you accept to use Nokia push email or went with the regular POP3 / IMAP setup?
Yes, I accepted to use Nokia push mail.

Quote:
If you are using push email and set Sync new updates to 'on' under "When to Sync", the phone will stay connected to the mail service. If it off, and you set an interval for Time Sync, then it will connect only at the interval and will remain disconnected.
In my GMail account there is an option "Synchronise new updates" which is on, another option "Timed Synchronization" which is also on and "Synchronization interval" which is set to 15 minutes.

But there are no such options in my office account. Did I make some mistake while setting it up?

Quote:
Also, if you opted to use push email, the first email you added will be your nokia messaging id - you can login using the id and the same password you provided at Nokia Messaging: Home - you can login and change settings (folders you want to sync, server settings, etc) as well as remove accounts.
I had configured my office account at Nokia messaging as well. But still not getting it right :-(

Nitin
Old 31st October 2010, 10:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

What is your office account - is it a POP3 / IMAP account, or a MS Exchange / Lotus Domino account?
Old 1st November 2010, 12:17   #57
BHPian

Quote:
What is your office account - is it a POP3 / IMAP account, or a MS Exchange / Lotus Domino account?
It's an IMAP account. I realized my mistake, it was configured from my phone and was configured as a normal (non-Nokia messaging) account. I went to Nokia messaging web site and configured it there.

Phone automatically downloaded the configuration and now it's working fine, though not as good as gmail. In gmail, I get the mails almost instantaneously, but in my office mails there is a delay upto 10 minutes.

Thanks

Nitin
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:00   #58
BHPian

I am using Nokia E5 for email access over Airtel GPRS. Most of the personal emails like Gmail and Yahoo works great. But my company do not all exchange email access on non-BB. To work around this, I use eMose that basically uses Outlook Web Access to simulate push mails. This is fine for most of the cases except for large emails.
Old 20th November 2010, 12:38   #59
VMG
BHPian

hi Radek

I am planning to buy E5. some questions..

1. How is GPS is working? do I have to pay extra for this facility to airtel?

2. If I take GPRS plan from Airtel, for using Gtalk, do I need wifi or I can use it anywhere means without wifi.

3. word, exel and ppt - are you able to open and edit?

4. linking to office mail and yahoo mail is possible right?

5. anyother minus point on this phone

thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am using VMC for the past 2 months on my E71 and things are going well with the Nokia email. recently i noticed that when i send an email as a reply to an incoming email, a copy is not saved in my SENT items folder.

If i create a new email and send the mail is there. In both cases the email is delivered to the recipient so that's not an issue. Any one else facing the same problem?

Also if someone has noticed in E72 the email folders (yahoo, gmail etc.) are listed on the home screen where as E71 doesn't support this. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed