Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-1997.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran (Post 4866573)
Hi Guys. I am looking to upgrade from my Oneplus 6 which i have been using for the past 2 years. I have my eyes on Oneplus 8 and Oneplus 7t. Will Oneplus 7t be an upgrade from my Oneplus 6? I am a normal phone user and likes to click lot of photos of my rides. Not an avid gamer and use phone for social media platforms and watching videos. Not having the heart to splurge 50k for oneplus 8. Will onplus 7t feel like an upgrade?

Hold on for a month or two. Hopefully you'll get Google 4a by then and OP8T to choose from. And there'll be plenty diwali offers, if you don't want to splurge a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhdowntheline (Post 4864709)
Again, suggesting a One Plus may not wash with her. On the other hand, I am not to impressed with Samsung's software update policy. Not sure if the A series will get 2 major OS iterations. Any thoughts?

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...-z-tab-2281195

Samsung had announced 3 OS updates for many of their devices during the unveil of the Note 20 series (among others) and have addressed one of the 2 major issues affecting Samsung phones. We now have a clearer picture of the actual devices which will benefit from their new policy which includes the A51 and A71. Even if they falter on their claim, I'd say that 2 OS updates are practically a given even for the A51 and A71.

Between the 2, I would highly suggest the A71 due to its faster 730 Snapdragon processor which will lead to better longevity. Faster charging speed will be an added bonus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhdowntheline (Post 4864709)
Again, suggesting a One Plus may not wash with her. On the other hand, I am not to impressed with Samsung's software update policy. Not sure if the A series will get 2 major OS iterations. Any thoughts?

Get Official AndroidOne phones for neat and lightweight software experience which are easier to use and get regular OS updates at earliest.

Check the Android One website for the available options.

I recently picked up a M31 for my wife and and am happy with the purchase. Since we have 2 young kids wanted to pick a mid-ranger which can handle abuse. So far so good and seems to have decent camera as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran (Post 4866573)
Hi Guys. I am looking to upgrade from my Oneplus 6 which i have been using for the past 2 years. I have my eyes on Oneplus 8 and Oneplus 7t. Will Oneplus 7t be an upgrade from my Oneplus 6? I am a normal phone user and likes to click lot of photos of my rides. Not an avid gamer and use phone for social media platforms and watching videos. Not having the heart to splurge 50k for oneplus 8. Will onplus 7t feel like an upgrade?

Finally gave in to the desire of heart and got a Oneplus 8. Thanks a lot for the people who gave their opinions.

Guys, recommendations for a Cam Scanner replacement please. Tried Microsoft Office Lens but it irritatingly wants to store PDFs on my OneDrive instead of directly on the phone.

Trying Adobe Scan now. Seems ok so far but any suggestions would be great.

Adobe Scan is great. I have been using adobe scan from the beginning and it's very efficient and easy to use. The magic scan feature is good to use as well.
And the documents are uploaded to cloud so that's an added benefit. The Microsoft lens was just so bad. I tried to settle with it but it wasn't upto the mark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 4870100)
Guys, recommendations for a Cam Scanner replacement please. Tried Microsoft Office Lens but it irritatingly wants to store PDFs on my OneDrive instead of directly on the phone.

Try Doc Scanner by Lufick. I too tried out the apps you've mentioned, but found this to be perfect. Works as good as CamScanner. Heck, even the UI and the app icon look eerily similar to the banned app. Would suggest giving it a shot and see if it works for you.

Quote:

Tried Microsoft Office Lens but it irritatingly wants to store PDFs on my OneDrive instead of directly on the phone.

I evaluated a few and eventually finalised Microsoft Office Lens. None of the others really reached the ease of use threshold set by Lens. My primary user is my daughter for her to scan and upload her schoolwork.

My Office Lens does offer storing to the device. See screenshot. Both the highlighted options save the device - first, as image and second, as PDF.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-untitled1.png

Quote:

I found TurboScan to be pretty good. Has additional features, where for better clarity of the scan, it can take 3 images and club them together. Paid version is priced quite well.

I am facing this issue of 'Google Maps' being stuck, when I need it the most for directions. This is even for short drives within the city of say 10 - 15 mins. As am new to the place, am in need of directions and 'Maps' doesn't work, when required. The device is 'Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1' and it's running on Android 9.0.

What is wrong here? Is there any fix for the same?
Please advise!
please:

Open source is the way to go to stay secure. Install FDroid app store where plenty of fast and secure open-source apps are available.

OpenNote Scanner is cross platform app for scanning documents.

Open Camera is feature rich camera app where you can even tournament off the artificial sharpening and noise removal features of the default camera app and can expose true colors of the mobike camera. It can even introduce some of the features which are not available on most of the mainstream camera apps.

KDE Connect is for sharing files between computer and smartphone. Apart from sharing files, you can easily share clipboard, links and webpages. You can also use smartphone as input device and plenty more possibilities.

Few of these open source apps are available on Google Play Store as well but FDroid is better since Google sometimes restricts features or ban the full app.

Android itself is open source and Google is flourishing with the help of Android but seems like Google itself is not open about the idea of letting anyone else grow in the open source world except itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 4872011)
I am facing this issue of 'Google Maps' being stuck, when I need it the most for directions. This is even for short drives within the city of say 10 - 15 mins. As am new to the place, am in need of directions and 'Maps' doesn't work, when required. The device is 'Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1' and it's running on Android 9.0.

What are phone specs? Is it running out on memory or storage?
Also sometimes when using a defective memory card, these type of problems crop up. So try to use Maps after removing memory card if any.
Defective battery or battery past it's prime can also be an issue.
Also check if it is due to network problem. Try using Maps using offline maps feature. This way it wouldn't need to use network.

Guys I have query here. I had a Vodafone sim which I used with my One Plus as a spare phone. It had a whatsapp account linked to the number as well. Now, very recently I surrendered the connection as I did not use that number too much. The phone, currently, is lying unused.

So going forward, if Vodafone allots that number to someone else and he/she downloads whatsapp in his/her phone, will he/she be able to download my whatsapp chat which was previously linked to this number?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancham (Post 4875870)
So going forward, if Vodafone allots that number to someone else and he/she downloads whatsapp in his/her phone, will he/she be able to download my whatsapp chat which was previously linked to this number?

No, Actually the backup from WhatsApp is saved to the Google account it is linked to. So without adding the google account which has the backup, Whatsapp won't be able to pull/download previous chats.