Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-1990.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashvek3141 (Post 4833627)
But that has a screen size of 6.4”. Looking for a compact phone, screen size in 5” ballpark.

If you can lay your hands on Nokia 6.1/7.1 then nothing like it. They are one of the best compact phones. Prices have dropped to sub 10K for 4GB and 11K for 6GB variants

Nokia 6.1 with 6GB Ram packs a punch. As long as you are not a heavy gamer, this phones handles everything well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ast.ggn (Post 4833665)
Look into body size instead of screen size. Market has moved on to bigger screens within same phone size, hence screen size can be a bit misleading. Nokia might have a few options in that range.

I don't usually even think much about new phones when I have one that is absolutely satisfactory! Size-wise, my limit is what will fit my kurta pocket: that is how I am always going to carry a phone outside the house.

Anyway, with apologies for the country-of-origin thing, I have been thinking about the Mi A3. I currently have an A1. The body size seems much the same, but with more available space taken by screen.

My Oneplus 7 behaves peculiarly with my WiFi router. Often, it fails to connect to it and shows "disabled" in the wifi settings screen. But it can connect to the repeater that is connected to the same wifi. To fix the problem, I have to restart the phone and it will connect without a fuss. Again, after sometime the connection goes. It never has a problem connecting to the repeater though. So I almost always have my phone connected to the repeater.

What could be the issue?

Ps: Never tried resetting the phone because there are a lot of work related stuff in it including key/passcode generators.

How compatible is Moto as a brand with current global trade? (Ouch - on a mobile smartphone thread!!!)

YouTube, WhatsApp and substitutes of Tiktok (which?) over wifi are the only requirements. Needs to be Dual sim.

And now the rant.

My servant's unknown brand mobile was severely disabled by Trump's arm twisting of Google. All google apps disappeared and I spent some hours trying to fix things, but no avail. (There is unzip support on that phone!!!). Now, with the 59 app ban, that phone is now usable for the only thing it is not bought for - making and receiving calls.

Today, on Amazon, the cheapest Samsung is ₹ 11xxx, while one Moto is available for sub 9k on FK.

Screen is 269ppi, but I guess that is ok - since the one she uses is still lower.

Nokia has vanished. And I might not want to experiment with Mi and all those Chinese brands. My heart had revolted against what happened to Huawei, but Xi kiaoed me.

Moto (aka Lenovo) is also a Chinese brand. There is no escape :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic-sense (Post 4834375)
What could be the issue?

Have you tried configuring the network manually?

Incase if it happens only when you are away from router (not full range), try disabling mobile data and see if it still persists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 4835659)
How compatible is Moto as a brand with current global trade? (Ouch - on a mobile smartphone thread!!!)

Motorola the smartphone maker (Motorola Mobility) was sold by its then owner Google to Beijing-headquartered Lenovo Group. Last I know Lenovo had announced its intention to disable all its other smartphone brands and produce smartphones exclusively under the Motorola brand.

What's with Nokia these days? I am looking to buy Nokia 4.2 for a relative (who happens to be a senior citizen). I bought the same model in Feb 2020 for Rs 6000. But today on Amazon/Flipkart, it's showing at around Rs. 11000! please:
How's that even possible? I thought electronic gadget prices only decrease! stupid:
Is it because Nokia (HMD Global) has it's large supply chain in China? Our is there something else?

Quote:

Ps: Never tried resetting the phone because there are a lot of work related stuff in it including key/passcode generators.

Not sure about OnePlus, but generally Android has an option to reset only the Networking part to factory defaults. In mine it is under:

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmplog (Post 4835705)
What's with Nokia these days? I am looking to buy Nokia 4.2 for a relative (who happens to be a senior citizen). I bought the same model in Feb 2020 for Rs 6000. But today on Amazon/Flipkart, it's showing at around Rs. 11000!

Not just Nokias. Sub 10k Samsungs have vanished. So have offers and discounts. Even recent launches like M01 and a J series are not there. And see the joke below - Panasonic Eluga X1.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1593686191645.jpg

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4835780)
Not sure about OnePlus, but generally Android has an option to reset only the Networking part to factory defaults. In mine it is under:

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

OnePlus devices have it in the same path as @binand mentioned above. No harm trying, will only need to reconfigure paired WiFi and BT connections.

I finally found the sub ₹ 10 K ⁷non- China brand mobile and ordered on Reliance Digital app. Galaxy M01 @ ₹ 9099. It is 8999 on Amazon, but stock is expected only by 12 and delivery is on 17th. That is a bit too far away.

I was contemplating a mid range phone for us and gove away the lowest one - either the A8+ or M30 if a low end phone was not found. But only the A71 was anywhere close, and the S10 lite was not attractive enough without the discounts. (There is already one in the family). But the A71 too was out of stock.

Guys,

Samsung just sent out an update for my S9 and it has royally messed things up.

- The phone rings even when sound is kept on "silent", or on DND. An expected call woke me up from my sleep! What to do? I use the Truecaller dialer; hope some conflict isn't messing things up.

- The latest update has moved me to the Samsung keypad which I don't like. How to move back to the Google / Android stock keypad?

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4839402)
Guys,

- The latest update has moved me to the Samsung keypad which I don't like. How to move back to the Google / Android stock keypad?

Thank you!

If it's ONE UI then

Settings> General Management> Language and Input> On-Screen Keyboard and choose Gboard

Have Gboard installed and then perform these steps if it's missing from the list of keyboards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavSam (Post 4839406)
Settings> General Management> Language and Input> On-Screen Keyboard and choose Gboard

Thank you so much! Followed your steps to the T and have my favourite keyboard back :).

How to solve the problem of incoming calls ringing even when phone is on silent?