Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2020, 16:10   #29836
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
But that has a screen size of 6.4”. Looking for a compact phone, screen size in 5” ballpark.
If you can lay your hands on Nokia 6.1/7.1 then nothing like it. They are one of the best compact phones. Prices have dropped to sub 10K for 4GB and 11K for 6GB variants

Nokia 6.1 with 6GB Ram packs a punch. As long as you are not a heavy gamer, this phones handles everything well.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 29th June 2020 at 16:12.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 17:39   #29837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Look into body size instead of screen size. Market has moved on to bigger screens within same phone size, hence screen size can be a bit misleading. Nokia might have a few options in that range.
I don't usually even think much about new phones when I have one that is absolutely satisfactory! Size-wise, my limit is what will fit my kurta pocket: that is how I am always going to carry a phone outside the house.

Anyway, with apologies for the country-of-origin thing, I have been thinking about the Mi A3. I currently have an A1. The body size seems much the same, but with more available space taken by screen.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:42   #29838
BHPian

My Oneplus 7 behaves peculiarly with my WiFi router. Often, it fails to connect to it and shows "disabled" in the wifi settings screen. But it can connect to the repeater that is connected to the same wifi. To fix the problem, I have to restart the phone and it will connect without a fuss. Again, after sometime the connection goes. It never has a problem connecting to the repeater though. So I almost always have my phone connected to the repeater.

What could be the issue?

Ps: Never tried resetting the phone because there are a lot of work related stuff in it including key/passcode generators.
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:09   #29839
BANNED

How compatible is Moto as a brand with current global trade? (Ouch - on a mobile smartphone thread!!!)

YouTube, WhatsApp and substitutes of Tiktok (which?) over wifi are the only requirements. Needs to be Dual sim.

And now the rant.

My servant's unknown brand mobile was severely disabled by Trump's arm twisting of Google. All google apps disappeared and I spent some hours trying to fix things, but no avail. (There is unzip support on that phone!!!). Now, with the 59 app ban, that phone is now usable for the only thing it is not bought for - making and receiving calls.

Today, on Amazon, the cheapest Samsung is ₹ 11xxx, while one Moto is available for sub 9k on FK.

Screen is 269ppi, but I guess that is ok - since the one she uses is still lower.

Nokia has vanished. And I might not want to experiment with Mi and all those Chinese brands. My heart had revolted against what happened to Huawei, but Xi kiaoed me.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 2nd July 2020 at 09:11.
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:26   #29840
Oxy
BHPian

Moto (aka Lenovo) is also a Chinese brand. There is no escape
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:30   #29841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
What could be the issue?
Have you tried configuring the network manually?

Incase if it happens only when you are away from router (not full range), try disabling mobile data and see if it still persists.
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:32   #29842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
How compatible is Moto as a brand with current global trade? (Ouch - on a mobile smartphone thread!!!)
Motorola the smartphone maker (Motorola Mobility) was sold by its then owner Google to Beijing-headquartered Lenovo Group. Last I know Lenovo had announced its intention to disable all its other smartphone brands and produce smartphones exclusively under the Motorola brand.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:35   #29843
BHPian

What's with Nokia these days? I am looking to buy Nokia 4.2 for a relative (who happens to be a senior citizen). I bought the same model in Feb 2020 for Rs 6000. But today on Amazon/Flipkart, it's showing at around Rs. 11000!
How's that even possible? I thought electronic gadget prices only decrease!
Is it because Nokia (HMD Global) has it's large supply chain in China? Our is there something else?
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:47   #29844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ps: Never tried resetting the phone because there are a lot of work related stuff in it including key/passcode generators.
Not sure about OnePlus, but generally Android has an option to reset only the Networking part to factory defaults. In mine it is under:

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth
Old 2nd July 2020, 16:14   #29845
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
What's with Nokia these days? I am looking to buy Nokia 4.2 for a relative (who happens to be a senior citizen). I bought the same model in Feb 2020 for Rs 6000. But today on Amazon/Flipkart, it's showing at around Rs. 11000!

Not just Nokias. Sub 10k Samsungs have vanished. So have offers and discounts. Even recent launches like M01 and a J series are not there. And see the joke below - Panasonic Eluga X1.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1593686191645.jpg
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 16:51   #29846
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Not sure about OnePlus, but generally Android has an option to reset only the Networking part to factory defaults. In mine it is under:

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth
OnePlus devices have it in the same path as @binand mentioned above. No harm trying, will only need to reconfigure paired WiFi and BT connections.
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:43   #29847
BANNED

I finally found the sub ₹ 10 K ⁷non- China brand mobile and ordered on Reliance Digital app. Galaxy M01 @ ₹ 9099. It is 8999 on Amazon, but stock is expected only by 12 and delivery is on 17th. That is a bit too far away.

I was contemplating a mid range phone for us and gove away the lowest one - either the A8+ or M30 if a low end phone was not found. But only the A71 was anywhere close, and the S10 lite was not attractive enough without the discounts. (There is already one in the family). But the A71 too was out of stock.
Old 7th July 2020, 16:35   #29848
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Samsung just sent out an update for my S9 and it has royally messed things up.

- The phone rings even when sound is kept on "silent", or on DND. An expected call woke me up from my sleep! What to do? I use the Truecaller dialer; hope some conflict isn't messing things up.

- The latest update has moved me to the Samsung keypad which I don't like. How to move back to the Google / Android stock keypad?

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 16:40   #29849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

- The latest update has moved me to the Samsung keypad which I don't like. How to move back to the Google / Android stock keypad?

Thank you!
If it's ONE UI then

Settings> General Management> Language and Input> On-Screen Keyboard and choose Gboard

Have Gboard installed and then perform these steps if it's missing from the list of keyboards.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 09:29   #29850
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Settings> General Management> Language and Input> On-Screen Keyboard and choose Gboard
Thank you so much! Followed your steps to the T and have my favourite keyboard back .

How to solve the problem of incoming calls ringing even when phone is on silent?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks