Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 17:45   #30586
Senior - BHPian
 
SoumenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 5,280 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Even with this price cut its still an expensive. Only thing going for it is compact size.
Consider Samsung A52 which has almost identical hardware (albeit bigger and better screen and IP Protection)
Size does matter to me. Can’t carry around these huge phablets. So its either this or iPhone 12 mini
SoumenD is offline  
Old 13th June 2021, 19:42   #30587
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,208
Thanked: 21,361 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Size does matter to me. Can’t carry around these huge phablets. So its either this or iPhone 12 mini
Unless you really need top-of-the-line specs (few really do, to be honest), it's a great compact device. Stock Android plus guaranteed multi-year OS support.

The iPhone Mini (I love the form factor!) is significantly more expensive and has arguably worse battery life. If you can forego some bling for VFM, the SE 2nd gen is a pretty competent device too (same chipset and internals as previous-gen iPhone) and will have support for several years. The LCD display is probably the most obvious compromise but Apple calibrate their displays like nobody else.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th June 2021 at 19:43.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:29   #30588
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,219
Thanked: 9,487 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Pixel 4a gets a price cut, now available for 26999 along with usual discounts(5% unlimited with axis etc).
Attachment 2166956

Is it a good buy at this price (~25.7k with axis discount)?
I don't have the 4a but have been using the 3a for close to 2 years now. My usage - Calls, WA, office emails, browsing, navigation and most important, camera. I have been happy with this purchase.

To me, the USP is the camera and my only grouse has been the response time of the camera. The stock Android has been stable across updates over this 2 years.

Worth it, IMO.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 21:54   #30589
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Ponda
Posts: 132
Thanked: 347 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Pixel 4a gets a price cut, now available for 26999 along with usual discounts

Is it a good buy at this price (~25.7k with axis discount)?
If your requirements are primarily Camera, Compact shape and Stock android with guaranteed updates( 3 yrs for pixel line), there is no better alternative.

Yes, it does miss out on certain features and It's expensive when you compare it with the likes of Phablets from OnePlus/Opp/Vivo Samsung.
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 00:21   #30590
Senior - BHPian
 
SoumenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 5,280 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
If your requirements are primarily Camera, Compact shape and Stock android with guaranteed updates( 3 yrs for pixel line), there is no better alternative.
Guaranteed update is what I like along with the excellent form factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I don't have the 4a but have been using the 3a for close to 2 years now. My usage - Calls, WA, office emails, browsing, navigation and most important, camera. I have been happy with this purchase.

Worth it, IMO.
Do you see any lag in performance after 2 years of usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Unless you really need top-of-the-line specs (few really do, to be honest), it's a great compact device. Stock Android plus guaranteed multi-year OS support.

The iPhone Mini (I love the form factor!) is significantly more expensive and has arguably worse battery life. If you can forego some bling for VFM, the SE 2nd gen is a pretty competent device too (same chipset and internals as previous-gen iPhone) and will have support for several years. The LCD display is probably the most obvious compromise but Apple calibrate their displays like nobody else.
I am currently using an old 6s(probably all time best iPhone model) and the SE would almost feel similar. That was still ok but the LCD screen is something I don’t want in 2021. Infact apple very smartly removed the iPhone X and 11 pro from lineup which actually had LED screens and left only the LCD ones so that anybody looking for LED has to go for 12

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th June 2021 at 00:31.
SoumenD is offline  
Old 14th June 2021, 08:22   #30591
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,219
Thanked: 9,487 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Do you see any lag in performance after 2 years of usage?
No lag in performance except for the camera response time. It isn't as fluid as an iPhone but it wouldn't frustrate you during daily use.

After spending 7 years with iphones, 2 years with pixel and 1 year with Galaxy (back in 2011-12) - I would say that iphones' performance remains consistent over time but its iOS updates can be a hit or a miss (the next patch always fixes the bugs).

Pixel has smoother and better performance than any other Android phone I have experienced. Android updates are also smooth.

As for Samsung, I hope the new generation phones age better. We had very bad experience with 3 samsung phones over the years and have avoided them since then.

Last edited by navin : 14th June 2021 at 13:14. Reason: typo
ashis89 is offline  
Old 14th June 2021, 10:28   #30592
BHPian
 
dragonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 45
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

---Mostly rant---

The 4a discounted price has been tempting me all through the weekend even though it is absolutely not the phone I want.

It is too small for me.
It has a single camera
It has a mediocre chipset
60hz refresh rate

It is a phone that is at least 2 years behind competition at an overpriced 26K (albeit discounted) asking price.

Yet here we are salivating over a mediocre device with an exorbitant price tag for what? THE CLEAN OS. Its the only phone out there with a tolerable Android OS.

Which brings us to the elephant in the room. The one major drawback of all the Android phones out there - The Android OS.

Time they did something about the OS.

We praise Android for being extremely customizable - yet the only tolerable version of Android - in a Pixel - is the least customizable one. There is very little difference between an Android in a Pixel and iOS in an iPhone in terms of customization.

All the regular Android phones out there are processor hungry, RAM hungry, battery hungry behemoths which we buy only for their price.

iOS was built on BSD - a UNIX like OS.
Android was built on Linux - another UNIX like OS.

Wonder what did Apple get right that Google didn't.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:41   #30593
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 381
Thanked: 587 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
---Mostly rant---

iOS was built on BSD - a UNIX like OS.
Android was built on Linux - another UNIX like OS.

Wonder what did Apple get right that Google didn't.
While apple has tightly controlled hardware in addition to OS, Linux / android needs to cater to multiple hardware. This makes it difficult to optimise for any particular architecture.

Try a Linux system which is built from scratch on any machine and I can assure you that it matches mac in stability, say Linux from scratch or gentoo.

May be that's the same reason why pixel phones are more stable compared to other android phones with similar specifications.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:11   #30594
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10,657
Thanked: 23,809 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
The 4a discounted price has been tempting me all through the weekend ...
Even I felt some temptation. I dislike the "thinner" screen format, but truth is that the 4a screen is very nearly as wide as my Mi A1, but taller... On a considerably smaller body than my Mi. The Mi A series also has a very clean Android. But they discontinued it

I would just love to have an overall-smaller phone. Plainly, millions of us would, but, for its own reasons, this is a market demand that the industry completely ignores.

Saving for the annual tax bill: a luxury purchase this month would be irresponsible. But it is a good thing this price wasn't matched on Amazon!
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 14th June 2021, 20:45   #30595
BHPian
 
dragonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 45
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Even I felt some temptation. I dislike the "thinner" screen format, but truth is that the 4a screen is very nearly as wide as my Mi A1, but taller... On a considerably smaller body than my Mi. The Mi A series also has a very clean Android. But they discontinued it

I would just love to have an overall-smaller phone. Plainly, millions of us would, but, for its own reasons, this is a market demand that the industry completely ignores.

Saving for the annual tax bill: a luxury purchase this month would be irresponsible. But it is a good thing this price wasn't matched on Amazon!
The 4A is really a small phone. Has a much narrower screen than the A1. I have a MI A2 with Android one. Yes it is much better than all those stupid skins.

I like small phones, but not practical for me. I now need reading glasses, so small text on small phones does not work well with my eyes. For taking calls, I have a small iPhone. For everything else, big screen helps.

Last edited by dragonfire : 14th June 2021 at 20:47.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 21:17   #30596
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10,657
Thanked: 23,809 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
The 4A is really a small phone. Has a much narrower screen than the A1.
Thanks. I was doing some guestimating based on the overall size compared with how much of the phone it occupies, which is almost all of it. On the basis of Amazon photos. My guesses were obviously wrong.

Why they can't just give length*width screen size, I don't know. The diagonal is more like a rating than dimensions. Same goes for monitor screens.

I have used reading glasses for years. I can browse text on my Mi A1 --- but I am not keen on the screen being narrower, as the the line gets too short.
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 14th June 2021, 21:38   #30597
BHPian
 
dragonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 45
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks. I was doing some guestimating based on the overall size compared with how much of the phone it occupies, which is almost all of it. On the basis of Amazon photos. My guesses were obviously wrong.

Why they can't just give length*width screen size, I don't know. The diagonal is more like a rating than dimensions. Same goes for monitor screens.

I have used reading glasses for years. I can browse text on my Mi A1 --- but I am not keen on the screen being narrower, as the the line gets too short.
With multiple aspect ratios (20:9, 19.5:9, 18:9, 16:9 etc) its quite hard to guess the size of the display from the diagonal. I rely on the pixel density, and with most phones (in my consideration) are of the 1080p type, it gives a fair idea.

I can read fine on the A2, but not on the iPhone 6S. It would look awkward if I have to increase the text size on the small screen.

Anyway, phone size growth has slowed down lately. Looks like we would be settling down around the 6.4-6.7 inch mark.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 22:49   #30598
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Ponda
Posts: 132
Thanked: 347 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
The 4A is really a small phone. Has a much narrower screen than the A1.
4A isn't all that small. The difference is due to the fact that pixel 4A has end to end screen with much smaller bezels than the previous gen phones with huge top n bottom bezels like those in A1 (see the image below)
Name:  IMG_20210614_224808.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  78.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why they can't just give length*width screen size, I don't know. The diagonal is more like a rating than dimensions. Same goes for monitor screens.
Agree.

May I suggest you to head over to gsmarena.com and search the model you looking for to get all the specs including l * w * h and such. You can even add other models side by side to do a comparo.

Here's how 4a stacks up against A1 for eg:
https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?...idPhone2=10123

Hope this helps.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th June 2021 at 01:12. Reason: Posts merged. Picture inserted in-line. Spacing fixed.
ToThePoint is offline  
Old 14th June 2021, 23:48   #30599
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10,657
Thanked: 23,809 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Anyway, phone size growth has slowed down lately. Looks like we would be settling down around the 6.4-6.7 inch mark.
That's the maximum for my shirt and for my pocket. And they say that phones are designed by men according to what they want. I can understand and sympathise with that. I don't have large hands, but they are not particularly small either.

What do our wives want? My wife wanted a 5 inch phone. Not much chance, eh? There is a huge sector of the market is just being ignored.

/rant... yes, I know. We all know that already.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 00:24   #30600
BHPian
 
dragonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 45
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
4A isn't all that small. The difference is due to the fact that pixel 4A has end to end screen with much smaller bezels than the previous gen phones with huge top n bottom bezels like those in A1 (see the image below)
Gsmarena pics are not to scale. To see the actual size difference try this:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-19b9cdd3a536409295708b8cbfd80bf0.png

Last edited by aah78 : 18th June 2021 at 01:13. Reason: Alignment.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks