Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2021, 08:37   #30451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
So finally upgraded my phone from OnePlus 6T (8+128) to Oneplus 9R (12+256) today.

More impressions to be shared as I use it over the next few days!
Can you please share your experience with the device over the last few days? Interested in knowing about:
1. Real world battery life
2. Ease of use, is there anything about the phone that feels a little off?

I have been a pixel user for the last 4+ years and in the market now for a replacement. Here is what I think I need:
1. A phone that gets regular security patch updates - work commitments mandate that my phone receive security updates every 3months.
2. Device that will last for the next 2.5-3years. Hence looking at SD865/870 devices.
3. As stock a UI as possible. Did some research on OneUI and Oxygen OS, both of which seem ok to me.
4. Battery life of 1day with moderate usage. I don't play games on my phone. Typically it's work/personal calls and social media. My typical screen time is about 2.5hrs everyday.
5. A decent camera for landscape photography. Use my phone as the primary device when I travel, unless it's wildlife photography. Hence it's important that the phone is able to produce clear, clean images with a decent dynamic range. Prefer natural colors over highly saturated colors. Asking much?

Based on the above, I have narrowed down my options to OnePlus9R, Mi 10T and Galaxy S20 FE. Also keeping an eye on the Mi 11 launch, scheduled for this Friday.

Please do share feedback on the above phones and let me know if there is something that I am missing. Not considering the Pixel 4a as it's an older processer and doesn't seem to be built to last. In fact my Pixel3 seems to be a much better device
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 09:01   #30452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Can you please share your experience with the device over the last few days? Interested in knowing about...
Sure, happy to share my experience over the past few days of usage:
1) battery life which I have been getting is around 30-32 hours with moderate usage and screen on time of around 6 hours over this time. The battery is 4500mah (previous oneplus 6t had 3700mah). The 9r gives be around 25% longer time as expected. I use the phone on 120Hz screen setting.
2) i have not found anything off yet and the experience is better than the Oneplus 6t in terms of speed and smoothness. The phone does not hang and I have not found it to heat in normal usage. (Only time it heated a bit was in first time setup and data transfer, which is normal)
3) for landscape photography there is a wide angle camera and the colours are good, but I have noticed a bit of fisheye distortion, which can be corrected in post processing.
4) the main 48Mp camera is good and also has ois and takes good stable photos and videos.
The Oneplus 9R uses the exact same Camera setup as the Oneplus 8T and you can find many camera image samples of that in reviews There is also an inbuilt pro mode in which you can tweak all the camera settings (aperture, shutter speed, white balance, etc to get the perfect shot)

5) the best part about Oneplus is the Oxygen OS which is very clean and there are no ads anywhere in system apps. It is as close to stock android you can get (without a Google Pixel phone )
The only pre-installed extra apps are Netflix and Oneplus Store. Apart from this there are no unnecessary apps.
6) security updates are quite regular on Oneplus phones and even my older Oneplus 6t used to get security patches and updates once in 3 months. I expect this to also have the same trend and probably be updated for 2-3 years.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th April 2021 at 10:46. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 12:59   #30453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Based on the above, I have narrowed down my options to OnePlus9R, Mi 10T and Galaxy S20 FE. Also keeping an eye on the Mi 11 launch, scheduled for this Friday.
Well, oneplus has reduced 8pro prices by 6k and suddenly they are in the same ball-park as S20FE (49k vs 48k for the S20FE) I think you can even consider the 8pro as it is a proper flagship grade phone and still a great buy in 2021. Only downside is, it's a bit huge.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:33   #30454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
The Android 11 update for Oneplus 7T seems to have been suspended ? I never got the notification and its been almost 3 weeks since the update was rolled out. The official forum is filled with reports of bugs plenty and furious fanboys ! Having so many phones to maintain isn't helping. From 2 phones a year to almost 8-9 phones last year is surely giving the software guys a hard time. There have been reports of even the flagship $1000 OP 9 Pro having heating issues. No wonder they don't have time for the last gen flagships.

My wife has a 3 year old OP 5T and it runs like butter still, just like it was new, battery included. However got a new battery for 1700 bucks just in case they decide to discontinue spares. Aside from the terrible camera, I believe its gonna last 2 more years easy. Anyone here flashing ROMs still ? I can see good reviews for the Lineage 18.1.
I have the same scenario at home. My wife's 5T is smooth without any bugs. My 7T on Android 10 has a lot of bugs.

The volume on Bluetooth speakers both at home & car is extremely low. OnePlus buds which are supposed to have the best connectivity with a OnePlus phone perform very poorly (abrupt disconnection etc.). After using OnePlus for the last 4 years, I am really skeptical about buying a new one now going by the 7T software experience.
Old 24th April 2021, 22:08   #30455
BHPian

I recently updated my OnePlus 7 to Oxygen OS 11 (Android 11). The new fonts and interfaces are quite interesting, but ran into a major bug. Wifi keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every minute or so.

I have a wifi router with both 2.4 and 5GHz networks. Both the networks are saved in my phone, while I connect using only the 2.4GHz network. The 5GHz is solely for the office laptop.

After the new update, wifi keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting, within a span of 3-5 seconds. Not much of an issue during normal surfing, but a major P.I.T.A when playing games like Clash (which logs out during reconnecting). Can across this link while looking for a solution.

The workaround is to "forget" the 5GHz network and connect only using the 2.4GHz one. Tried it and its working fine so far.

Any other OP7 owners facing this issue?
Old 30th April 2021, 15:52   #30456
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at upgrading phones for my mom and wife. They both have the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1, which is currently stuck at Android 9, Sep-2020 Security patch. Since neither of them fancies any significant tech features, I was looking at "safe" option in either the Samsung A52/A72 (more likely the latter). I understand that Samsung has announced 3 OS updates for all S and A series Galaxy phones, so it could be worth it, even if it doesn't receive security patches on a monthly basis.

Any opinions on this?
Old 30th April 2021, 17:34   #30457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am looking at upgrading phones for my mom and wife. They both have the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1, which is currently stuck at Android 9, Sep-2020 Security patch. Since neither of them fancies any significant tech features, I was looking at "safe" option in either the Samsung A52/A72 (more likely the latter). I understand that Samsung has announced 3 OS updates for all S and A series Galaxy phones, so it could be worth it, even if it doesn't receive security patches on a monthly basis.

Any opinions on this?
I myself using 'Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1' since 2.5 years, ordered Samsung A52 yesterday. I was waiting for a particular variant and it became available for short window in the evening. From 'Pro M1' this would be a good upgrade coz of AMOLED screen, Stereo Speakers, IP67 rating and last but not the least primary camera with OIS feature.

BTW, I have Havoc OS ROM on my 'Pro M1' which is based on Android 10. If there is NOT much of wear and tear, I suggest you to install custom ROM. It works beautifully!
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:09   #30458
BHPian

Re: Stock Android Device?

What is the opinion about Mi11x?
I need a phone with 5g, AMOLED and preferably wireless charging for <30K. Mi 11x doesn't have wireless charging, but rest of the specs looks good. I use the phone for years and was using my 2013 Mi3 untill 2019 when Airtel shut down their 3g network. The phone is still working great and hasn't slowed down for my usage. I am currently on a loaner Samsung m20 and need a new phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
1. I wouldn't give much importance to the '5g' in the OnePlus 9R since it supports only 1 5G band and is thus, a token 5G phone.

2. The current version of the Oxygen OS looks very similar to Samsung's One UI with multiple reviewers stating the same. Even I felt the same.
I was waiting for A52 5G, but Mi11x looks tempting. Is the 5G on Mi 11x just for the name sake as in OnePlus?
Old 30th April 2021, 19:09   #30459
BHPian

What do folks here think about the Vivo V60? Not the pro or pro plus, but the regular one with the flat screen. How is the funtouch OS in the Vivo phones? Not a fan of custom skins, but I can live with it if there is not too much of bloatware.

Am looking for something to replace my OnePlus 7. Nothing really wrong with the phone, just bored after 2 years. The new OnePlus series does not look interesting.

Am looking for a light weight phone with decent performance. I was hoping that the MI 11 lite would come, but Xiaomi did not bring it here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st May 2021, 05:15   #30460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

BTW, I have Havoc OS ROM on my 'Pro M1' which is based on Android 10. If there is NOT much of wear and tear, I suggest you to install custom ROM. It works beautifully!
Thanks-looking forward to your A52 experirence if you can share later. As far as custom ROM goes, since the target client is my mom and my wife, who do not look beyond the usual icons on the mobile phone, its of no use. Even right now, my wife is not convinced about any upgrade since she doesn't even use it much for financial transactions. My mom got finally convinced after the battery on her phone started to act up a bit. But we have just had a lockdown extension in MH here, so need to wait for some more days for shops to open. Online retailing of non-essential goods is not allowed right now.
Old 1st May 2021, 10:12   #30461
Team-BHP Support

The S20 FE 5G has reduced from 47,777 to 43,999. They also have 0% EMI.

The specs are some of the best and IMO a much better buy than the Oneplus 9 series.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 10:17   #30462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been a pixel user for the last 4+ years and in the market now for a replacement. Here is what I think I need:
1. A phone that gets regular security patch updates - work commitments mandate that my phone receive security updates every 3months.
2. Device that will last for the next 2.5-3years. Hence looking at SD865/870 devices.
3. As stock a UI as possible. Did some research on OneUI and Oxygen OS, both of which seem ok to me.
4. Battery life of 1day with moderate usage. I don't play games on my phone. Typically it's work/personal calls and social media. My typical screen time is about 2.5hrs everyday.
5. A decent camera for landscape photography. Use my phone as the primary device when I travel, unless it's wildlife photography. Hence it's important that the phone is able to produce clear, clean images with a decent dynamic range. Prefer natural colors over highly saturated colors. Asking much?
Based on feedback from a couple friends and my better half, ended up buying the Mi10T for ~32K on amazon. Here is my feedback after using the phone for a little more than a week.
1. Mi has been providing updates to its top end devices every 45-60 days over the last 18 months, hence it fits my primary need outlined.
2. SD865, very smooth, lag free - 8GB ram more than sufficient for my usage.
3. MIUI is so much better now! I last used an Mi device in 2013 and it seems like over the last few years, Mi has managed to make its UI very user friendly. Really like the separate notifications and settings drop down, Quick Ball is another great feature for quick access to functions, basic gestures for screen lock etc. Did not expect the UI to be so user friendly.
4. The massive battery ensures that I get almost 38-40 hrs of usage without a charge. No gaming, minimal video/OTT viewing, primarily used for communication - both personal and official and some reading.
5. Display is LCD but it does have Mi adaptive sync, which allows max 120hz refresh rate. I have been using my phone at 90hz refresh and it seem more than enough for me. Even though its an LCD, I find the display to be very good (especially when compared to a pixel3), no color fade or burn, view angles are decent and color reproduction is almost natural.
6. Power button works as fingerprint sensor - big plus as I'm not a big fan of the onscreen fingerprint sensors. It works very well and haven't had any issues with it as yet.
7. Find the phone to be very big and heavy. 6.8 inch screen and 200+gm of weight is a lot, when compared to a pixel3. Single handed use of the phone is tricky, especially given the positioning of the camera cluster.
8. Camera - given the current covid situation, I havent tested it out much as I havent stepped out.
9. Mi bloatware - uninstalled many, deactivated a few. Not a big deal as you can stop notifications and forget about them

On the whole, I am pretty happy with the phone and I'm hoping that it works well for the next 3 odd years.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 10:42   #30463
Oxy
BHPian

Does the Pixel 4a still make sense? My current Oppo Reno 10x Zoom is quite good but feel the need for something compact for a change.

The Realme X50 Pro and the Samsung F62 are currently available on Flipkart at great prices but I don't want another heavy behemoth of a phone.

Or should I consider the OnePlus Nord?

Usage is mainly content consumption so a good display matters. I neither play games nor take many pictures.

Budget is around 25k.

Last edited by Oxy : 1st May 2021 at 10:51.
Old 1st May 2021, 13:45   #30464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Usage is mainly content consumption so a good display matters. I neither play games nor take many pictures.

Budget is around 25k.
Perfect choice for the above usage if you are not keen on 5G capabilities and not looking for battery life beyond 1 day after heavy screen usage.

Though you can also consider Moto G 5G which doesn't have any bloatware, comes with stock Android and 5G capabilities, easily delivers battery life of 2 day or more and costs around 20K or even less if some offers are going on.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 01:02   #30465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The S20 FE 5G has reduced from 47,777 to 43,999. They also have 0% EMI.

The specs are some of the best and IMO a much better buy than the Oneplus 9 series.
Thanks for the heads-up. Just ordered on Amazon today. Got an extra 650 off due to some bank discount. Should get delivered tomorrow.

Had been loking for an upgrade for 2 months now as my 4yr old moto g5s plus had significantly slowed down. Was a hit hesitant to go for this due to the slightly old processor and lack of fast charging and was wondering whether to go all in for the OnePlus 9 pro or go for a cheaper one like the OnePlus 9r or the oppo Reno. But the discount finally made my mind up to take a plunge.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed