Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 07:19   #31201
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hello , I've been facing several camera issues on my OnePlus 6 after upgrading to android 11. The rear camera is out of focus always for third party apps. Cannot use Google lens or google duo too which I'm most dependent on. Anyone HERE facing the same issue ? I found a link where users reported the same issue as mine.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/r...pdate.1486249/
Old 13th January 2022, 10:18   #31202
Senior - BHPian

The GOOGLE Pixel 6 & Pro is now available at Virgin Dubai, and is one of the smoothest phones around. Camera quality is really great. I like this quirky rear treatment as well (Among the four). Samsung has lost it's mojo of late and Pixel is my choice for a pure android experience. They should launch it in India (Plz excuse the grainy pic shot on my rejuvenated iPhone6s)
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-3e32463275834dfd9e29e910fbba0593.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-6a1aa81ad1ed4e8cb1fee60933960c10.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 13th January 2022 at 10:24.
Sebring is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 13:27   #31203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I wonder what exactly is better in the Samsung compared to the Moto Edge 20 that the asked price is so high even after so called offers and discounts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
There are major screen touch issues when using a screen protector. There are ghost touches, single touches getting registered as double touches, edges of the screen becoming unresponsive etc. Things get better without a screen protector. Sometimes a simple restart improves things - for a while.

Even with all these software issues, I don't see any software updates from Motorola. I know Motorola is slow with updates, but they should at least send out bug fixes.

Now, if anybody is planning to buy one, I wouldn't say don't buy one, but make sure that this will not be your primary phone.
I had forgot to update here: some time in early December Motorola issued a software update that fixed all the touch issues. Applied a tempered glass and touch works well. Still have gripes with respect to camera quality, but the phone is now fit to be used as a primary phone.

Now waiting for the Android 12 update promised to arrive in February.
Old 13th January 2022, 13:35   #31204
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder what exactly is better in the Samsung compared to the Moto Edge 20 that the asked price is so high even after so called offers and discounts!
There are differences in the two phones and then there is probably a brand premium that Samsung charges (and folks are happy to pay as well I guess, personal preference).

I have used Moto X Style in the past, lovely device, stock Android (main reason for choosing it back then) got water damaged. Would have considered Moto again had it not become a Chinese brand (there is some debate on this since some say it is still an American company as a subsidiary of Lenovo) but I preferred to stay away (no offense to Moto owners).

Comparing A52s 5G and Moto Edge 20 specifically, there are differences. Areas where Samsung scores over Moto are expandable storage, headphone jack, stereo speakers, OIS in camera, slightly bigger battery (4500 mAh vs 4000 mAh in Moto Edge 20) and IP rating (Samsung gets a better IP rating 67 - water resistant whereas Moto is IP 52 splash resistant). Areas where Moto Edge 20 scores are that it has a higher refresh rate (144 Hz) and I think it is adaptive also (not very sure) and a fast charger (30 or 33 watt).

Are these extras that A52S offers worth the extra 3K that ones pay for A52s (30.8K) over Moto Edge 20 (28K) is a personal preference. Between these two devices, I would go for A52s personally.

Quote:
You can even get the Google Pixel 5a 5G in the MRP of the A52. Currently listed at around 40K on Amazon India.
Yes, however that is not covered under warranty I was informed. As I had said a few posts back, if Pixel 5A 5G was launched in India, would have bought it, my first choice. However A52s is for 30.8K for (8GB /128 GB variant) which is substantial discount compared to Google 5a 5G which is 43K.

Quote:
I never liked the Samsung cameras which just throw detail-less snaps with heavy processing which make them look like water paintings instead of photographs. Some gentleman posted some photo examples few posts ago, same water-painting kind of effect there again and still people are praising those snaps.

I guess the average quality snaps look better on the small and over brightened AMOLEDs screen so people think the snap itself was actually good!

If anyone want to test the mobile camera hardware then download the Open-Camera app, turn off the noise removal and sharpening processing in the advanced settings and then click the photos in various conditions, that will reveal the true colors of the mediocre mobile camera hardware.
This is an interesting input, the Open-Camera app, would certainly try it out. I have not looked at Moto Edge 20 extensively (since it was never in my list of possible phones) but the review I had seen of it on YT (Geekyranjit) mentioned that camera was not very good (there was some blur issue, probably due to lack of OIS I think). He mentioned that camera wise A52s was better and some users had also commented that the image processing was not on point with this Motorola phone. Probably something which would be fixed via a software update (maybe already done).

Quote:
I also don't like the idea of setting up two ids in phone. Samsung including many other mobile manufacturers have such system where they come with two app sores along with their own cloud based services. Man, Google services are enough, why more clutter?
Correct. On the Samsung phones that we have in the family so far, we have not set up the Samsung account. It seems to be leading to more ads also being shown (as was discussed on Twitter). I am not sure of the benefits of the Samsung account and Google is good enough so far for our usage. Maybe once I get a new phone (Samsung) would be able to comment better on this.

Quote:
Then software update, heavily customized OS usually receives very few OS upgrades in it's life cycle because it requires lot of work from the devs. On the other hand vanilla OS is easier to update for the manufacturer so they continue supporting it for 2-3 years.
In recent times though, Samsung has upped their OS update game I heard. However there were also reports about One UI 4 being buggy in some of the initial beta releases and hence Samsung had put it on hold for some time. But with 3 years of promised OS updates I would like to think that Samsung should also age well and be up to date for long term.

On related note, folks with S20 FE 5G, the update for Android 12 / One UI 4 is now available and you could upgrade the OS. Do share your findings once you upgrade.

Quote:
If you keep replacing the phone in a year or two then get anyone, it doesn't matter. But if you prefer to use the phone for more than 3-4 years then all the above points do matter.
Agreed. For long term holding, be it mobiles or any other gadgets, one should evaluate all options and take a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The GOOGLE Pixel 6 & Pro is now available at Virgin Dubai, and is one of the smoothest phones around. Camera quality is really great. I like this quirky rear treatment as well (Among the four). Samsung has lost it's mojo of late and Pixel is my choice for a pure android experience. They should launch it in India (Plz excuse the grainy pic shot on my rejuvenated iPhone6s)
6 and 6 Pro are not coming to India but we may see 6A launching in India, as per various reports.

Regards,
S
sukhoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 13:50   #31205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Still have gripes with respect to camera quality
Quality of mobile photos mostly depends on processing done by the camera app and in most cases the culprit is stock camera app. Try to find Google Camera app, turn the HDR+ option on and shoot patiently for surprising results from same hardware.

If you are not apprehensive of tinkering with tons of advanced settings and like to edit the photos in your own way then Open Camera is top alternative.
Old 13th January 2022, 20:01   #31206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Are these extras that A52S offers worth the extra 3K that ones pay for A52s (30.8K) over Moto Edge 20 (28K) is a personal preference. Between these two devices, I would go for A52s personally.
Clean Android was the main reason I went for the edge 20; it being light weight was second. I think the extras that is provided by Samsung is negated by the software it comes with. I am not keen on stock Android, but don't want any phone that bundles crapware. I read that Realme UI and even Funtouch OS is getting cleaner, but OneUI and MIUI are still bloated.
Quote:
Quality of mobile photos mostly depends on processing done by the camera app and in most cases the culprit is stock camera app. Try to find Google Camera app, turn the HDR+ option on and shoot patiently for surprising results from same hardware.

If you are not apprehensive of tinkering with tons of advanced settings and like to edit the photos in your own way then Open Camera is top alternative.
I tried the GCam, and it gave better photos at night with no appreciable difference in regular shots. Will try Open Camera.
Old 13th January 2022, 20:01   #31207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
How has your experience been with the phone so far, been almost 3 months now I think. Did you by any chance get the Android 12 update, was reading that Samsung has started rolling out 12 update for A52S series also recently.
Phone is performing pretty good and I don't have any major complaints. There hasn't been any lag or performance dips so far, and the camera is more than sufficient for me. I still prefer a compact form factor, but I'm adjusting well with this. Outside the flagships, this, for me, is still the best phone to buy right now.

A strange thing that happen when I play the DLS football game - the game speed goes into 2x on some occasions. It does settle into a normal pace after a while, but this is a minor irritant.

One feature I really miss from S10e (other than the size) is the ability to mirror the phone display by connecting to an external monitor via HDMI to USB-C cable. This was a very easy way to watch something on the streaming platforms when I want to take a short break from work.

I heard A52 and A52S models in Russia are getting the OneUI 4 update, but no luck here, I'm checking multiple times a day for this.
dragntailonfire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 05:56   #31208
BHPian

S21 FE will be available at 50k during the upcoming sale. With additional card cash back of 10%, the model may be within your reach.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20220114_055534.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I'm in the market to change my S9 as it has to be charged twice in the day now. I was considering S21 FE but maybe need to wait till prices go down.
girishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 08:40   #31209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post

One feature I really miss from S10e (other than the size) is the ability to mirror the phone display by connecting to an external monitor via HDMI to USB-C cable. This was a very easy way to watch something on the streaming platforms when I want to take a short break from work.
Most other brands' flagship phones don't implement the full usb-c 3.x specifications.

Especially true of Xiaomi. Their USB is just USB 2.x, and without a cardslot it is near impossible to get data out of their phones. Most people don't realize how many corners they cut to sell their "flagships" at rock bottom prices.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 08:45   #31210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
S21 FE will be available at 50k during the upcoming sale. With additional card cash back of 10%, the model may be within your reach.

Attachment 2259676
This price is only with HDFC card otherwise it's 55k.
Oneplus 9RT is launching at around 42k. It does not make sense to pay 55k or 50k for s21fe when 9RT can be had for 40k or thereabouts.

Anyway will see if pixel 6a gets launched. I can wait for sometime as now mostly am at home only.
Old 14th January 2022, 09:16   #31211
Oxy
BHPian

What would be a good buy for parents (aged 70 plus)? Currently they are using a Redmi Note 3, so they do like to keep it long term.

I am thinking Moto G71 for it's amoled screen and stock android. Or maybe the Samsung F22.

Anything else I can consider?
Old 14th January 2022, 09:56   #31212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
Hello , I've been facing several camera issues on my OnePlus 6 after upgrading to android 11. The rear camera is out of focus always for third party apps. Cannot use Google lens or google duo too which I'm most dependent on. Anyone HERE facing the same issue ? I found a link where users reported the same issue as mine.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/r...pdate.1486249/
I had this same problem with my 1+3T when it went out of security update warranty. No matter what I tried could not solve this issue. Seems that this is a standard trick of 1+ to force customers to go for a new phone.
Old 15th January 2022, 12:48   #31213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
What would be a good buy for parents (aged 70 plus)? Currently they are using a Redmi Note 3, so they do like to keep it long term.

I am thinking Moto G71 for it's amoled screen and stock android. Or maybe the Samsung F22.

Anything else I can consider?

F22 has Helio G80 processor. Its very old and battery backup may not be great. As for Moto G71 it's a good phone. Stock OS will remain stable throughout the phone's life. Do checkout moto G51 & G60. Both of them don't have AMOLED. There's a notion that AMOLEDs are easy to crack (I don't know if it's really true), however if you manage to crack one, it's very expensive to replace. Also elderly people don't change wallpapers often, this may lead to burn in issue famous with OLEDs. So I wouldn't go with AMOLEDs for my parents.
G60 has a metal frame, it's very hard to come by a metal frame (not the body, just the frame. Like chasis) these days. It will be heavy, but it can take heavy beating. Whatever phone you buy, go with the highest RAM variant since it will be used for a long time.
I bought G60 for my dad after considering all the above, even though Redmi note 10 pro was a no brainer at that price. I didn't want a cracked display and a cracked glass back, since my dad's usage is a bit careless.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 16:26   #31214
Senior - BHPian

Recently I bought the Galaxy A52 for my father. I was seriously looking at Poco X3 Pro but for some strange reason Flipkart was not delivering it at his location. So went with A52 instead. I ordered on Samsung India online and they took almost a month to deliver!!
Anyway I think Poco X3 Pro is a seriously good choice if it is available at your location. Do check it out.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 00:08   #31215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
PIXEL6 is available as imported piece from Amazon India if someone is VERY interested. However, the cost markup(Rs 65k) takes away the VFM quotient, and the lack of support will be a headache, as many have reported screen issues with P6.

Google Pixel 6 5G (Kinda Coral, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09LZ5G39D/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Caffeinated is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed