Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2016, 14:15   #23701
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^
Yes, I agree. May be I should wait for a couple of months for the Z2. By that time, we will get some reviews which will tell us more about the camera quality and UI. But, there is absolutely no clue about India launch.

What do you think about the Honor 7? Looks really sexy (metal unibody), got a very good chipset (bad GPU though), 3 GB RAM, 3100 MAH battery and some nice tricks with the camera and the fingerprint sensor.

Apart from the 2 GB RAM and poor battery, another issue with the Nexus 5X is that it looks really cheap. You must buy a back cover to hide the cheap looks
Can any nexus 5X user comment on the battery life? How poor is it?

P.S - Entirely off topic. Looks like both of us bought our cars in 2010. Thinking about a upgrade? I am keeping mine for another 3-4 years if not more

Last edited by adimicra : 10th June 2016 at 14:17.
Old 10th June 2016, 14:35   #23702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
My 5X lasts me the day but that's about it. SOT is around 3 hours.
I think there are far better alternatives around. 5X stutters sometimes and I don't even play any games. Just regular stuff like web, Twitter, WhatsApp etc. The 2gb memory is a serious limitation I think.
I would advise against the 5X.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th June 2016 at 07:54. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 10th June 2016, 14:46   #23703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
My 5X lasts me the day but that's about it. SOT is around 3 hours.
I think there are far better alternatives around. 5X stutters sometimes and I don't even play any games. Just regular stuff like web, Twitter, WhatsApp etc. The 2gb memory is a serious limitation I think.
I would advise against the 5X.
Im surprised about seeing the SOT as 3 hours. How do you calculate that? The Redmi Note 3 probably gets 12-14 hours AFAIK but i dont know how to measure it. It doesn't stutter for anything. but the problem is that ITS HEAVY (atleast for my carpal tunnel hands).

In my iPhone I get 7 hours on 3G on a puny 1800 mah battery.
Old 10th June 2016, 14:53   #23704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Im surprised about seeing the SOT as 3 hours. How do you calculate that?
SOT = Screen On Time

Android Settings > Battery > click on 'Screen' in the list

It will mention the time for which the screen has been on.

@ Adimicra, my mum has a 5X, and from what I've seen, general use gives a SOT of 2.5-3.5 hrs.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th June 2016 at 14:54.
Old 10th June 2016, 15:10   #23705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Im surprised about seeing the SOT as 3 hours. How do you calculate that? The Redmi Note 3 probably gets 12-14 hours AFAIK but i dont know how to measure it. It doesn't stutter for anything. but the problem is that ITS HEAVY (atleast for my carpal tunnel hands).

In my iPhone I get 7 hours on 3G on a puny 1800 mah battery.
SOT is the time for which your screen was ON. Since most usual use of the mobile is interacting with it thru the screen(except for music maybe) SOT is sort of gold standard to compare how good the battery backup is. Most phones are around 3 hour mark only. Some galaxies go upto 5 hours or so.
12-14 hours is definitely not SOT🙂 no phone I know of is capable of that
Old 10th June 2016, 17:24   #23706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
SOT = Screen On Time

Android Settings > Battery > click on 'Screen' in the list

It will mention the time for which the screen has been on.

@ Adimicra, my mum has a 5X, and from what I've seen, general use gives a SOT of 2.5-3.5 hrs.
Aggressive power saving, no data, only wifi. How much SOT would you say?
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160510123109_com.miui.securitycenter.png
Old 10th June 2016, 17:30   #23707
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One click back from here (on the 'Battery' Page), instead of clicking on the graph on top, click on the 'Screen' item in the list below the graph (where individual app battery usage is listed in percent).

That way, it will show you exact SOT and battery consumed in mAh.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160610173056.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160610173107.png  

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th June 2016 at 17:37.
Old 10th June 2016, 18:24   #23708
Senior - BHPian

@phamilyman - that is some amazing battery life you got there.

Thanks everyone for the updates on Nexus 5X. 3 hours SOT is not at all acceptable to me.
In my 2 year old Moto X, I get around 2.5 hours and it has become a huge pain for me.
When the phone was new and had good old Kitkat, I was getting 4 hours SOT.
I wonder why the Nexus 5X has such poor battery life. On paper, 5.2" screen with 2700 mah battery sounds reasonable and Marshmallow is supposed to be be having better battery life. The only reason I was considering Nexus 5X is because of the great camera (best camera in the price range) and the future updates being a Nexus

I need something with at least 4 hours SOT. So, Nexus 5X ruled out for me.
Old 10th June 2016, 18:30   #23709
BHPian

Quote:
On redmi note 3 - Additional Settings > Battery > Battery use > Hardware > Screen will give you time on
Old 10th June 2016, 18:42   #23710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When the phone was new and had good old Kitkat, I was getting 4 hours SOT.
I wonder why the Nexus 5X has such poor battery life. On paper, 5.2" screen with 2700 mah battery sounds reasonable and Marshmallow is supposed to be be having better battery life. .

One thing I can tell you is that there is not always a thumb rule around battery consumption for a particular device. The behavior is dictated by parameters like the apps running, the way the parameters are setup for the phone etc. At times its like searching for a needle in a haystack. For example yesterday night I suddenly realized that my phone has suddenly started eating up the battery pretty fast. After some poking around I have realized that the highest consumption is coming mainly because of the WiFi and the CPU remaining awake at all times. Obviously something has changed this behavior. Will have to find out what that thing is.
Old 10th June 2016, 18:54   #23711
Senior - BHPian

Kindle app keeps crashing on Note 4

Ever since the Marshmallow update, the Kindle app keeps crashing after a few seconds. Tried many things (uninstall/reinstall, moving from SD card to phone memory, resynching etc.), doesn't help. I can open and synch, and can also see the book covers, but the moment I open a particular book the app crashes.

Unhappy with the latest Android update. A pain. Had to get my other ebooks up and running through another workaround. Even Chrome functionality is reduced.
Old 10th June 2016, 19:27   #23712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
On redmi note 3 - Additional Settings > Battery > Battery use > Hardware > Screen will give you time on
This is my screen on time on the S7
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1465567054027.jpg  

Old 10th June 2016, 19:27   #23713
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kindle app keeps crashing on Note 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Ever since the Marshmallow update ... ... ... Even Chrome functionality is reduced.
If you mean what I think you mean...
Chrome -> Settings -> Merge Tabs and Apps -> Off
You will now have tabs within Chrome like it was before.

If you didn't mean this, what else did I not notice? I was not a heavy user of Chrome before having this phone. I didn't do much browsing on the phone itself before having the 5.5-incher.
Old 10th June 2016, 19:55   #23714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
One thing I can tell you is that there is not always a thumb rule around battery consumption for a particular device. The behavior is dictated by parameters like the apps running, the way the parameters are setup for the phone etc. At times its like searching for a needle in a haystack. For example yesterday night I suddenly realized that my phone has suddenly started eating up the battery pretty fast. After some poking around I have realized that the highest consumption is coming mainly because of the WiFi and the CPU remaining awake at all times. Obviously something has changed this behavior. Will have to find out what that thing is.
Yes, I have played enough with Android to understand that.
But, most people having Nexus 5X have used other phones and have references to compare with. So, when most owners say battery life sucks, we should consider that as it indeed sucks.

I have installed tons of Apps to find out the real cause of battery drain and that has been mostly a frustrating experience. If you have installed some Apps recently and there is a drop in battery life, you can quickly check the stats, find out the culprit and get rid of it. But, most of the battery drain problems are intrinsic in nature (OS/screen size/pixel density/battery capacity etc). So, after all that wasted effort, I have decided that if I am spending a good chunk of money (25K) on a smartphone, I should not be spending lots of time in fixing my phone and it's battery life. You can do it once in a while but not regularly. Hence, looking for some phone which can run through the entire day without needing charging or me carrying a power bank everywhere.
Old 10th June 2016, 20:22   #23715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apart from the 2 GB RAM and poor battery, another issue with the Nexus 5X is that it looks really cheap. You must buy a back cover to hide the cheap looks
Battery life of the Nexus 5X is better than the Moto X 2nd gen I had but that's not saying much.

Good battery life is becoming difficult in these higher end phones. It's only on the mid range devices.

The new Moto Z gets only 2600mAh with a 5.5" QHD display. I don't know how that will last even half a day in today's day of heavy phone use with LTE.

Other than that the phone is very good in usability. You have to get over the plastic body but initially I was quite unhappy as within a week the back completely wore out the matte finish. I put a cover on it after that and now it feels no different than my Moto X which had a case as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks