Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2016, 16:47   #23611
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@phamilyman & @adimicra - surprised to hear that G4+ camera is average. I own one and after the latest update, its very much better. Did you check in the settings whether the resolution is set to high? Have you updated the phone with latest May 2016 patch?
Old 31st May 2016, 18:45   #23612
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
@phamilyman & @adimicra - surprised to hear that G4+ camera is average. I own one and after the latest update, its very much better. Did you check in the settings whether the resolution is set to high? Have you updated the phone with latest May 2016 patch?
I checked in office lighting which is not so great. I don't know about any patch as it is my friend's phone. I compared with similar priced phones and found it to be similar to those in terms of image quality but the camera focuses very fast. I didn't say bad, I just said it's par for the course. Motorola made lot of noise about the camera..so My expectations were high. We had a Iphone 6S to compare as well. The Iphone 6s is miles ahead but it costs at least 3 times more.

By the way, dxomark says the new Moto G4 plus camera is same as Iphone 6S PLus and better than IPhone 6S. I guess they are smoking something.

EDIT: Just now noticed that DXOMARK seems to have a soft corner towards Motorola. They rated the Moto Droid Turbo2 camera same as the Iphone 6S Plus which is same as Moto G4 Plus (84) while Motox Style/Play are just behind (83). Iphone 6s is rated at 82.

Having used MotoX Play/Moto G4 Plus and Iphone 6S, I whole-heartedly disagree.

Last edited by adimicra : 31st May 2016 at 18:59.
Old 31st May 2016, 18:52   #23613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I checked in office lighting which is not so great. I don't know about any patch as it is my friend's phone. I compared with similar priced phones and found it to be similar to those in terms of image quality but the camera focuses very fast. I didn't say bad, I just said it's par for the course. Motorola made lot of noise about the camera..so My expectations were high. We had a Iphone 6S to compare as well. The Iphone 6s is miles ahead but it costs at least 3 times more.

By the way, dxomark says the new Moto G4 plus camera is better than Iphone 6S. I guess they are smoking something.
Dxomark is not wrong. I used to own an iphone and was amazed by its quality of images. Moto G4 has now improved a lot. The image processing is now at par or almost par with iphone and other flagship devices.

Here are my G4 photos - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3979911
Old 31st May 2016, 19:03   #23614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dxomark is not wrong. I used to own an iphone and was amazed by its quality of images. Moto G4 has now improved a lot. The image processing is now at par or almost par with iphone and other flagship devices.

Here are my G4 photos - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3979911
May be you are correct and so is DXOMARK. And it's great that you have flagship image quality at 1/3rd the price.
I am wondering what Iphone users will think.

By the way, check my edit on the above post.
It seems the Moto X style/Moto X PLay/Moto Droid Turbo all have better cameras than the Iphone 6S as per Dxomark.
So, Motorola was already ahead or at par with Iphone, nothing new with the Moto G4 plus (as per Dxomark).

BTW I will wait for some more reviews to come up like gsmarena etc. where you can do side my side comparison.
Old 31st May 2016, 19:09   #23615
BHPian

@adimicra - Ha ha! I used to own a Moto X play too. I say that G4 is definitely an improvement in display & camera. For G4, Moto took Lenovo's help in camera and it has helped a lot i would say.
I agree somewhat with your iphone remark. probably its the display which makes it look good?
Old 31st May 2016, 19:44   #23616
Senior - BHPian

Just saw that the Lenovo Zuk Z2 and Z2 pro have been launched having screen size of 5" and 5.2". Superb specs and the price is great too (in China). Most importantly, the Z2 is having 5" screen with a big battery (3500 mah) and costs only $280.
If the camera is good, makes sense to buy instead of MI5.

I am thinking to put my Nexus 5X purchase on hold for now. Anyone knows the launch dates?
Old 31st May 2016, 20:10   #23617
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to flog my wife's first generation Moto G (with a broken screen). What is the best price I can expect?
Old 31st May 2016, 22:28   #23618
BHPian

Quote:
Just saw that the Lenovo Zuk Z2 and Z2 pro have been launched having screen size of 5" and 5.2". Superb specs and the price is great too (in China). Most importantly, the Z2 is having 5" screen with a big battery (3500 mah) and costs only $280.

I am thinking to put my Nexus 5X purchase on hold for now. Anyone knows the launch dates?
Zuk Z2 definitely looks interesting. Z1 comes with Cyanogen OS but it has still not got the Marshmallow update. I am not familiar with flashing custom ROMs and don't know how easy/difficult that will be. So that is my apprehension about Zuk, but hardware wise they seem great VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Guys, I am planning to flog my wife's first generation Moto G (with a broken screen). What is the best price I can expect?
You can check on reglobe.in but I doubt you will get anything much for a phone with broken screen. But they will still collect it from you for recycling.
Old 1st June 2016, 05:25   #23619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Guys please suggest a game to stress test my Moto G4+. I want to figure out how much the phone heats up before I pass it on to my MIL.

Do try NOVA 3 and Real Racing 3. Both will give the GPU a good workout.
Old 1st June 2016, 10:50   #23620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I am in the same boat as you. Looking for a phone that is not beyond 5 inch , with 64 bit processor, >= 3Gig RAM . Nexus 5x was also under consideration. But with Zuk Z2 , i think i will wait!
Old 1st June 2016, 11:07   #23621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am in the same boat as you. Looking for a phone that is not beyond 5 inch , with 64 bit processor, >= 3Gig RAM . Nexus 5x was also under consideration. But with Zuk Z2 , i think i will wait!
What I see from the specs is that the ZUK Z2 is similar to MI5 but with a bigger battery..the screen probably won't be as good as MI5. The big unknown is the camera. MI5 camera is just okay as per today's standards. SO, the Zuk Z2 should be similar or better than MI5 in terms of camera. The other part unknown is the price. In China, the ZUK Z2 is priced slightly below MI5. So, here we can expect in the range of 20-22K which is fine.

The Z2 Pro has better design, more features, lots of sensors etc and will be priced at 30K or higher.

I don't know about updates on the ZUK. Did ZUK Z1 receive Marshmallow?

One good thing about buying Nexus is that you get updates for at least 3 years and hence you can keep the phone for a longer time.

Having played a lot with rooting, custom ROMs and all, I strongly feel it's not worth the effort. If things go wrong, then you have to spend lots of time to correct which can be frustrating. I nearly bricked my MotoX once and somehow managed to recover it after lots of effort.

I have seen the Nexus 5X, It does not look that great or premium but it runs fast and has an awesome camera. I found the camera better than Iphone 6S. Add the guaranteed updates for 3 years and no headache of fiddling with custom ROMs to get the latest features, Nexus 5X still makes a strong case for itself.

Last edited by adimicra : 1st June 2016 at 11:08.
Old 1st June 2016, 11:46   #23622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen the Nexus 5X, It does not look that great or premium but it runs fast and has an awesome camera. I found the camera better than Iphone 6S. Add the guaranteed updates for 3 years and no headache of fiddling with custom ROMs to get the latest features, Nexus 5X still makes a strong case for itself.
The biggest drawback with Nexus 5x is battery life. It just manages 12 hours on full charge even when new. This will only go down as the phone ages. It does come with a fast charger. But who can carry that fast charger everywhere they go!

If lenovo puts in a above decent camera, then my money is on Z2

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st June 2016 at 21:00. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Thanks!
Old 1st June 2016, 11:46   #23623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Not worth your time, honestly. Anything over a thousand would be a bonus.

Quote:
@adimicra - Ha ha! I used to own a Moto X play too. I say that G4 is definitely an improvement in display & camera. For G4, Moto took Lenovo's help in camera and it has helped a lot i would say.
I agree somewhat with your iphone remark. probably its the display which makes it look good?
I think G4 and redmi note 3 have an equally average camera except G4 screen is visibly nicer (samsung like). dxomark have lost credibility big time in my eyes giving g4+ camera the rating they gave. Its not even close to my iphone 6, forget 6s!
Old 1st June 2016, 13:11   #23624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The biggest drawback with Nexus 5x is battery life. It just manages 12 hours on full charge even when new. This will only go down as the phone ages. It does come with a fast charger. But who can carry that fast charger everywhere they go!

If lenovo puts in a above decent camera, then my money is on Z2
Yes, people have been complaining about that but I never knew it was so bad. While I love my 1st gen MotoX, I have been terribly upset with battery life lately and I know the pain of carrying a cable/charger/power bank everywhere. I definitely do not want to do this in my new phone.

Nexus 5X has 2700 mah battery with 5.2" 1080p screen. I wonder why the battery life is so bad.
Old 1st June 2016, 14:03   #23625
Senior - BHPian

Get ready for more bloatware - MS office and skype - on Xiaomi phones following a partnership with Microsoft. http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/xia...cle8676697.ece

Redmi Note 3 is now available sans registrations from today on amazon and the mi sites, although I can see only the 16 GB variant on amazon today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks