Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:48   #23641
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Are there any phone less than 4.5 inches that have good workable specs.
I mean not everyone had hands of Goliath to maneuver the gargantuan 5.5 inch screens that are in vogue these days ...
The trend with Android phone size is "Bigger is better" .

Every manufacturer launches new phones with increasing screen size. Literally NO phones with 4.5 inch to 5 inch screen size with good specs and RAM . Nearest one is OnePlus X but has an ancient SoC.
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:05   #23642
Senior - BHPian

^^

That's precisely the reason I have not yet upgraded from my Moto X 2013. It is so ergonomic and well built. But, Motorola has gone on to make gigantic phones only.

Surprisingly, Samsung has restricted their flagships to near about 5" which is great.
Hopefully, other manufacturers will follow suit.

The recently launched Sony X series are all 5" but they are ridiculously overpriced (even more than Honda BR-V )

So, our choices are very limited indeed. I am having to relax my size restriction to 5.2" otherwise I am not left with any choices at all.

Within 15K, the Lenovo Vibe S1 and Oneplus X seem to be the best choices but none of them have a fingerprint scanner.

15-20K --> almost nothing here. You can get Honor 7 or Nexus 5X 16 GB from ebay

20-25K -> Nexus 5X 32 GB, Mi5, Galaxy A5(2016)
25-30k-> Galaxy S6

Did I miss out anything?

I didn't mention the upcoming ZUK Z2 phones as I don't know the price
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:12   #23643
Team-BHP Support

This whole 'bigger is better' drama is pushing me to embrace iDevices. I neither want nor need phones with footprint the size of actual footwear, but Android doesn't seem to have anything half-decent in a smaller form factor.

I guess I'll wait until iPhone SE gets priced down a bit then take the plunge. Not a big fan but meets my needs, the biggest being compact form factor.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd June 2016 at 16:14.
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:48   #23644
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Every manufacturer launches new phones with increasing screen size. Literally NO phones with 4.5 inch to 5 inch screen size with good specs and RAM . Nearest one is OnePlus X but has an ancient SoC.
but SD 801 is as good as any mid range devices in that price range. Are you looking for anything specific that 801 cannot handle?
Old 3rd June 2016, 19:10   #23645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I mean not everyone had hands of Goliath to maneuver the gargantuan 5.5 inch screens that are in vogue these days
If you are not too concerned about latest hardware or flagship phones, I would suggest you to try the Redmi 2 Prime. Its at 4.7 inches and it quite workable. On top if it, they also have a "single hand use" mode wherein the contents of entire screen shrink to 4 inches of the screen on either side, depending on whether you are a left hander or right, and this can be selected.

It also has decent hardware, with 2 gb RAM, Snapdragon 410 64 bit 1.2 Quadcore, very good camera and a 2200 Mah battery, which easily last all day of regular usage and still sits at 40% EOD.
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:18   #23646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

15-20K --> almost nothing here. You can get Honor 7 or Nexus 5X 16 GB from ebay

20-25K -> Nexus 5X 32 GB, Mi5, Galaxy A5(2016)
25-30k-> Galaxy S6

Did I miss out anything?

I didn't mention the upcoming ZUK Z2 phones as I don't know the price
I'm apprehensive about buying phones from eBay, but Nexus 5x seems to be far more expensive on official sites.

In 15-20k range you can add Nextbit Robin about which I have heard positive things.

I'm not very confident about Zuk even though they offer good specs for its price. Saw a lot of poor reviews for Z1 on Amazon.in. My thumb rule is to avoid products having more 1 star reviews than 4 star reviews

It is sad to see so few options in 5-5.2 inch range too. And I use 2 Sims so phones like Nexus 5x are ruled out.

Last edited by JonSnow : 3rd June 2016 at 22:21.
Old 3rd June 2016, 23:05   #23647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Right said. Once used to Nexus and other custom roms, it becomes difficult to adjust to other UI's. Did you not try to get the 32 gigs Nexus 5X. This would have helped you to an extent.
The Nexus 5X uses type C charging/data port. This would mean an additional Micro USB to Type C adapter to carry as well.
Yes, Planning to purchase a good quality Type C to type A cable soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Did you do the buy sell transactions at any store or through classified sites?
Yes, Sold and purchased via OLX Mumbai
Old 4th June 2016, 05:37   #23648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a non-android phone- iPhone SE.

I agree with you that it's cumbersome to carry large 5.5" screen phones. The market for android phones with screens from 4" to 5" is practically dead I think. You don't see too many phones with 4.3" and 4.7" display these days.

Samsung, Xiaomi and Nexus (5x) have phones that are around 5" to 5.2".

Good luck with trying to find a phone with a smaller screen size and (better) specs.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th June 2016 at 05:39.
Old 4th June 2016, 12:02   #23649
BHPian

Any suggestions for a good android phone within 10k max. This one is for my cousin sister, her current phone is nokia lumia 830 since last 4 years. Expect the new phone to last minimum 3-4 years. Usage pattern will be Whatsapp, Facebook, clicking photos, music(good output) and net surfing.

I suggested Moto G3(non turbo) but it seems the device has been withdrawn from Flipkart from last 3-4 days and the one available on Amazon is for Rs.10,999/- and she is not willing to put extra cash.

I am leaning towards Asus Zenfone Max 32GB Version. Any idea about the performance of Asus ?
Old 4th June 2016, 13:06   #23650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Any suggestions for a good android phone within 10k max. Expect the new phone to last minimum 3-4 years. Usage pattern will be Whatsapp, Facebook, clicking photos, music(good output) and net surfing.
I suggested Moto G3 (non turbo) but it seems the device has been withdrawn from Flipkart from last 3-4 days and the one available on Amazon is for Rs.10,999/- and she is not willing to put extra cash.
I am leaning towards Asus Zenfone Max 32GB Version. Any idea about the performance of Asus ?
The Redmi Note 3 2GB RAM variant is up for exactly 10k, and is probably the best option. Beastly battery, simple interface, not abuse-friendly but premium to the touch (for the price) and quite snappy for basic tasks. Ladies may also love the gold colour option, for it looks really good.
The main problem though is availability. It is hard to simply get hold of one. However, the 2GB RAM variant should be relatively easier to find. Check out on the Mi website for more info on the flash sale.
Also, the camera is nothing to write home about, especially after using a Lumia device. The Moto G4+ has the best cameras in the segment, but is 3 grand costlier for the equivalent variant.
Quote:
This one is for my cousin sister, her current phone is nokia lumia 830 since last 4 years.
Sir, I guess you have gotten the model wrong. The Lumia 830 didn't exist 4 years ago! It launched only in late 2014.
Old 4th June 2016, 14:17   #23651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post

Sir, I guess you have gotten the model wrong. The Lumia 830 didn't exist 4 years ago! It launched only in late 2014.
Thanks mukul32 for feedback on Redmi Note 3.

It is Nokia lumia 800 and not 830 it was a typo error from me.
Old 4th June 2016, 14:33   #23652
BHPian

Quote:
I suggested Moto G3(non turbo) but it seems the device has been withdrawn from Flipkart from last 3-4 days and the one available on Amazon is for Rs.10,999/- and she is not willing to put extra cash.
I just checked amazon and the Moto G3 is available for 10k for the Black coloured one. Only the white one is 11k.
Edit: It says only 2 left in stock.

Quote:
Check out on the Mi website for more info on the flash sale.
They have done away with the flash sale model, but availability is still a problem as it is out of stock most of the time. As you said, 16GB model is more likely to be available.

Last edited by JonSnow : 4th June 2016 at 14:36. Reason: additional info
Old 4th June 2016, 19:36   #23653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Expect the new phone to last minimum 3-4 years.
I think she'll be changing her phone at under 3 years. The phone market is very dynamic.

I think Moto G3 is a better option compared to Redmi note 3 for these reasons:
1. Lighter software= Quicker response
2. Better Camera
3. Waterproof body
4. Smaller Size (debatable)
Old 4th June 2016, 22:06   #23654
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions for a good android phone within 10k max.
Quote:
The Redmi Note 3 2GB RAM variant is up for exactly 10k, and is probably the best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think Moto G3 is a better option compared to Redmi note 3 (debatable)
Its either of the two - Redmi Note 3 or Moto G3. I have used both and they are VFM devices. I personally have come to like Redmi note 3 more given the features already inbuilt in the phone.

I beg to disagree on the lighter software point, I think its how well optimized the software is with the given hardware. MIUI has done a fairly good job of it. Stock android can feel slow on Moto G3 if you keep the window animations high.
Old 4th June 2016, 23:24   #23655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Had been trying to get a Mi5 for some time but not lucky enough to get through sale. Managed to get Zuk 1 today on Amazon flash sale! ...
Have been using Zuk1 for the past one week! Just one word for this phone "Awesome"!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks