Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 18:10   #23671
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hello All - Update on my moto G4 plus. I have returned because of heating while operating camera. I use my camera almost daily and in the beginning I was able to tolerate it. Later on , I couldnt. Also even though the RAM provided was 3Gb, sometime i observed lags, especially while using Chrome or facebook. The lag is in touch. Like I would scroll up and it would take 3 to 4 secs delay to perform the action. Since I had the option to return it, I returned it.I moved to iphone 6s 64gb, since most of the devices in android having one or other issues. I am a hard core android fan. It was quiet difficult for me to switch, but I did it. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
You landed at the right place. But if you had the taste and money for an iPhone, you should have never considered a Moto. Motos are built for a price and can never match the premium devices. While comparing phones, the specs are what you notice first and often that is where the decision is made. The rest of the research is often only for justifying your choice. Core specs are only half the story, while the screen quality, camera, etc are stories that remain untold.

Enjoy your iPhone. It will last you for a long time.
Old 6th June 2016, 18:23   #23672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
You landed at the right place. But if you had the taste and money for an iPhone, you should have never considered a Moto. Motos are built for a price and can never match the premium devices. While comparing phones, the specs are what you notice first and often that is where the decision is made. The rest of the research is often only for justifying your choice. Core specs are only half the story, while the screen quality, camera, etc are stories that remain untold.

Enjoy your iPhone. It will last you for a long time.
I never considered the iphone from the beginning but considering that I have changed as many as 4 to 5 phones in the past 5 months, I wanted a phone which would serve me longer. I considered the iphone after this
Old 7th June 2016, 08:03   #23673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
It is true only Sony have had the brand appeal AND quality to give it back to Apple, but they couldn't actually do it, yet.
I'm afraid I feel the Z3 was the last legendary phone and the Z5 the last great phone made by Sony. They just don't seem to be going anywhere near those standards today.
Great post! They will, if any company can prove their expertise and quality it would be Sony. Its the only Japanese company that beats Europeans when it comes to a combination of durability, quality and feel and that's saying something. They spend big when it comes to R&D and that is something no company does today, Samsung and LG made their fortunes by copying Sony and decreasing the quality of input so as to undercut the price. I respect Akio Morita's vision and their subsequent near world-domination until the mid-90's. America was their biggest market for televisions & Walkman until then with Europe & India coming 2nd & 3rd.

Coming to the higher-pricing, its how things should be if everything were to be fair & legal. If you remember Ericsson is in the process of suing Xiaomi for violating patents, Xiaomi like every other Chinese company just blatently copies without acquiring the legal paperwork and giving royalty. They are also in the midst of many lawsuits in their home ground because they simply do not have enough patents to protect their product. In the global production scenario its essential that one either invents, or gives gratuity to those that invent, the figures stack up like this :

Xiaomi Patents : 5000+
Samsung Patents : 11,000+
Sony Patents : 33,000+ (they own almost every telecommunication technology patent because of their past collaboration with Ericsson & outright purchase of all patents developed during the joint venture)

This shows that Sony has paid for all the patents related to GSM/LTE/CDMA class of signal technology and more. Their patents in their newly formed Sony Mobile entity will also run into a few thousands additionally. A company that has no expenditure by means of R&D which leads to thousands of man-hours of trial & error, yet also not legally giving the patent holders their due like much of these Chinese firms do, naturally have the ability to sell their phones cheap. They source the chipsets from location A, camera lens from location B, body shells from location C and screw them together and voila! Their homeland will also protect them ferociously because its how their economy functions.

That apart I'm not using the above statements to justify high pricing by Sony, I don't think they've ever done well with their mobiles, so why should that change now. They made smaller-sized Androids from 3-4 inches and they never sold because Samsung & Chinese brands came out with LCD TV sized phones. The Z3 Compact which is a terrific phone to hold and use was never bought during the size-craze era and now they didn't bring in the Z5 Compact this time around as a result. Excellently specced phones like the M5 Dual, M4 Aqua Dual, and like you said the Z3 which were all priced very moderately for their time, didn't sell. Even today I feel the Z5 and Z5 Premium are the best phones in their class, period. At about 40k & 50k respectively they propose terrific value with class leading technology but who is buying them? Sony remains a company restricted to a limited fan-base and we buy because Its a Sony, that's about it.

As for what you've written, I have to agree there for the most part.. but its not the sole reason for the sales failure, its also because Samsung is en-vogue now, they've penetrated the market better in most countries by consistently selling cheap phones to begin with and now with the ultra-expensive ones whereas Sony always took the premium route. I personally wouldn't take a Samsung even if given for free, I hate what they've done with Android but that's just me.

Now the future of X, we shall both wait and see. The company has the ability to make quick changes to the line-up, and the pricing should get corrected in under 4 months time (not that it would boost sales). I hope just like M & Z Series that the X also gets waterproofing universally, and also a more premium positioning with 4K recording, fingerprint reader & newer USB standards. The reviewers (Indian ones specially) must also get over their excessive love for anything Samsung, it is nauseating to watch.
Old 7th June 2016, 11:40   #23674
Senior - BHPian

^
I understand your passion for Sony but a normal buyer who doesn't share the same passion and does not care about how many patents Sony has, what is Sony offering to him? I have used a Xperia phone long back and the experience was not so great anyways - poor camera, average screen etc
The X series is the most overpriced phone I have ever seen. Comes with chipset similar to phones costing 1/5th of it's price. And neither does it have any standout features. Plus, even the camera is nowhere close to the likes of Galaxy S6 etc (Ref:gsmarena).
I see absolutely no reason to buy the X even at half the price quoted.
Iphone fans can at least claim that they pay the premium for the IOS experience which they claim is far superior than Android. Sony can't even claim that!
Old 7th June 2016, 12:29   #23675
Senior - BHPian

While I won't disagree with the points about technology, I think Sony is like Fiat in India. (Maybe not completely)

Makes good camera sensor modules and has some patents, buy their phones don't sell in large numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
. The reviewers (Indian ones specially) must also get over their excessive love for anything Samsung, it is nauseating to watch.
Come on, don't be critical.

Samsung is fabulous, software being their only weakness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Iphone fans can at least claim that they pay the premium for the IOS experience which they claim is far superior than Android.
Although I love android , I think that the iOS is fabulous. It's easy to use, especially for technologically handicapped people.
But it's way too overpriced.
Old 7th June 2016, 12:42   #23676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

Although I love android , I think that the iOS is fabulous. It's easy to use, especially for technologically handicapped people.
But it's way too overpriced.
I have just relegated my wife's old IP4 to be the ipod for my car. The only reason being that the stereos are Idevice compatible.
It has not been used in ages, and I had forgotten the password to iTunes. The last 3 days, trying to get it to work can be compared to the frustration of the floppy drive install days of windows 95. It is unnecessarily complicated.
Agreed, Ios is wonderful, but what it giveth, it taketh away.
I can see my dad using the iphone without a hitch. I cannot see him ever using itunes. That has to be at the level of Vista, that bad.
PS: Downloading an update to whatsapp. 60 mb. Say what?????

PPS: I will submit to being a sony fanboy.
Old 7th June 2016, 13:46   #23677
BHPian

I used to be a Sony fan boy but after my Xperia Z3 Compact, I'm sold on Samsung. I bought the z3 compact on a whim, at an airport where I paid full price (thanks Croma). 3 months in, the phone died in my hand.

Of course, I took it to the service center where it took them 4 months to source a motherboard. This wasn't in some small town where spare parts are hard to come by. This was Bombay.

The phone came back not waterproof. So I complained again. Another 3 months passed. I bought a Samsung S5 at 23k, since Sony refused to give me a standby handset. When I got the phone back, I used it as a backup handset. The S5 took some great photos in Bhutan and the waterproofing was tested in the monsoons and an impromptu swim in a puddle. It passed without a hurdle.

Finally, after 11 months since purchase, the motherboard died again. This time the turnaround was quick. I got it back in a month and promptly sold it before it became another paperweight.

I even wrote to the Ceo of Sony India and asked for a replacement, since it was clearly a defective piece. They replied to me saying that the company policy was to never replace and only repair. Since I'd spent 47k, I decided that the company policy and me don't go well together.

Today, I'm a happy camper with my galaxy s7. Battery life is superb, the camera is truly amazing and it seems to be holding up OK.
Old 7th June 2016, 14:17   #23678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I used to be a Sony fan boy but after my Xperia Z3 Compact, I'm sold on Samsung. I bought the z3 compact on a whim, at an airport where I paid full price (thanks Croma). 3 months in, the phone died in my hand.

Of course, I took it to the service center where it took them 4 months to source a motherboard. This wasn't in some small town where spare parts are hard to come by. This was Bombay.

The phone came back not waterproof. So I complained again. Another 3 months passed. I bought a Samsung S5 at 23k, since Sony refused to give me a standby handset. When I got the phone back, I used it as a backup handset. The S5 took some great photos in Bhutan and the waterproofing was tested in the monsoons and an impromptu swim in a puddle. It passed without a hurdle.

Finally, after 11 months since purchase, the motherboard died again. This time the turnaround was quick. I got it back in a month and promptly sold it before it became another paperweight.

I even wrote to the Ceo of Sony India and asked for a replacement, since it was clearly a defective piece. They replied to me saying that the company policy was to never replace and only repair. Since I'd spent 47k, I decided that the company policy and me don't go well together.

Today, I'm a happy camper with my galaxy s7. Battery life is superb, the camera is truly amazing and it seems to be holding up OK.
Wow!! Thats pathetic response from Sony!! This is one area where apple shines. They replace the handset/tablet without any questions asked if the device is really faulty. I have 2 such cases- one of my friend's iphone 6s got bricked after updating his ios. He walked into the service center and walked out with a replacement. I had an ipad which had some scratches. It was not caused by any fall or abuse. I walked into the service center and they refused to replace it initially. Later i chatted with apple support and they had the service center replace my ipad. This is one area where apple still shines.

P.S: I am not an apple fanboy
Old 7th June 2016, 14:22   #23679
BHPian

Team,

Can you help me to buy HTC One A9 32 GB Deep Garnet Red version? I'm unable to find the same anywhere in our local and US shopping sites.
Old 7th June 2016, 17:56   #23680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Team,

Can you help me to buy HTC One A9 32 GB Deep Garnet Red version? I'm unable to find the same anywhere in our local and US shopping sites.
Hi..I respect your choice but just curious to know why you want to buy the HTC A9. Since this falls in my budget and meets the basic requirements, I looked at this model in details but I felt it is overpriced for what it offers and the camera quality is also not great plus have a smallish battery. So, just curious to know why you decided to buy this. May be I have missed something.
Old 8th June 2016, 04:17   #23681
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi, I ended up giving my Huawei Nexus 6P to my father in law and was stuck with a three year old Galaxy S3. Having tasted super fast mobility it was difficult to stay put with the Sammy. After a lot of research ended up buying the younger sibling LG Nexus 5X from eBay. It's a US import and though not top of the line, meets all my requirements.
Old 8th June 2016, 04:28   #23682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
ended up buying the younger sibling LG Nexus 5X from eBay.
Why would you buy from eBay?

Your can't claim warranty if anything goes wrong.
AFAIK, all frequently used computer electronics are cheaper/similarly priced in India.
Old 8th June 2016, 04:30   #23683
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Why would you buy from eBay?

Your can't claim warranty if anything goes wrong.
AFAIK, all frequently used computer electronics are cheaper/similarly priced in India.
Yes, that's true for most of the devices however the US prices of Nexus are much lower and hence I got this device for 22K as against 30K in India. Serves me well.
Old 8th June 2016, 10:07   #23684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
......So, just curious to know why you decided to buy this. May be I have missed something.
@adimicra,
I am using HTC One A9 for past 3 months. Wanted to buy a phone urgently as my Mi4 screen shattered after falling in my table from my hands! My requirements were 5", No lags, and a good brand.

There is a dearth of phones in 5" screen size. LG is basically absent in offline stores and except overheating Z3+,Sony doesn't have a contender at 30K. I narrowed my choice to Galaxy S6 and Htc One A9. Galaxy S6 has better camera and internals but A9 had SD card slot, lag-free UI and a fast fingerprint scanner. That and good looks made me choose A9.

The basics are right-loud ringer, great sunlight legibility, feels great to hold. At last, I can carry my entire music collection of 12GB with me after long time (Had a iPhone 5s 16GB before Mi4). I only play casual games. I have WiFi on all the time with occasional 3G moblie data.

Screen on time is 4 to 4.5 times on average. Holds for a day easily despite a small battery. No complaints on camera either and I take tons of photos and videos of my eleven months old lil' daughter. The ultrapixel Selfie camera is great for indoor low light shots.

I'll be happy to answer to your queries about A9!
Old 8th June 2016, 11:19   #23685
Senior - BHPian

^

Thanks a lot. Actually I want a decent 5" phone and I don't have much of a choice.
I love HTC as a brand, their designs and the HTC sense UI.
My wife has a HTC one M8 eye which I purchased for her and it is supremely fluid and also got updated to Marshmallow. Battery life is great, the sound quality is the best among all mobiles I have heard, the boomsound speakers are loud and clear, the supplied earphones give solid thump. My only complain would be the average camera for such a pricey phone. Even mid-range phones from other manufacturers have better camera.So, I was very much interested in the A9. I am not sure how the A9 camera is compared to others but when I compared the shots in gsmarena, it looked far inferior than S6 or Nexus 5X.
Check he following link
http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?...&idPhone3=7556

How does the A9 camera fare relative to MI4 or any other phone camera you have used? I think the Mi4 had a pretty decent camera.

Another area of concern I had is the battery.Its only 2150 mah. My current phone is the first gen Moto X which has 720p 4.7" screen and 2200 mah battery. Initially, never had issues with battery life but with the phone now almost 2 years old, the battery doesn't even last throughout the entire day. HTC A9 has 1080p 5" screen with only 2150mah battery. So, I have concerns on how the battery life would be after a year or so. And I tend to keep my phones for at least couple of years if not more.

Anyways, great to hear that you are happy with your phone. Hope it serves you well!

My current shortlist are -
Nexus 5X 32 GB - 20K from ebay (seller warranty)
Honor 7 - 20K
Galaxy S6 - 26K
Galaxy A5(2016) - 22K

Both are 5.2". I don't see any good upcoming launches with 5" screen either :(
I have one question - Do you all feel 2GB RAM will be an issue 2 years down the line? Should be go for at least 3 GB RAM ?
I somehow feel 2GB RAM will be good enough even couple of years from now on and won't be obsolete

Last edited by adimicra : 8th June 2016 at 11:26.

Most Viewed