Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2016, 10:20   #23596
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

OK Guys, here is my problem.

Have a stock One+ 1 that is currently on Cyanogen OS 12.1.1 (YOG7DAS2K1). Now for the last month or so, I am getting a message that there is an update available - Cyanogen 13.0 (ZNH0EAS2JK)

I read on the OPO forums that this is a buggy update and so decided to not go for the update - I am happy with 12.1.1 and see no reason to update.

Now the phone automatically downloads the update and tells you that you have an update and you should install it - fine till now. What has started happening now is that after the update (519 MB) has been downloaded, it seems to forget that the download has been done already and goes about downloading again. ( I have checked to see that these are not incremental versions - it is the same YOG7DAS2K1 that gets downloaded each time).

So what keeps happening is my phone goes downloading the update everyday. I got a shocker a couple of weeks back when I saw my data consumption within a fortnight of the billing cycle was 4 GB, I usually dont clock more than 2 GB a month. Found out the download was being triggered on Mobile data too. I have since gone and set "Restrict Background Data" for the System Updates - and this has stopped the downloads on mobile data.

But I still keep getting the irritating download everytime I get home / get into a Wi-fi zone with the download getting auto triggered.

Any help or pointers on how to stop my phone from downloading the updates ??

Thanks.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:53   #23597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
OK Guys, here is my problem.

Have a stock One+ 1 that is currently on Cyanogen OS 12.1.1 (YOG7DAS2K1). Now for the last month or so, I am getting a message that there is an update available - Cyanogen 13.0 (ZNH0EAS2JK)

I read on the OPO forums that this is a buggy update and so decided to not go for the update - I am happy with 12.1.1 and see no reason to update.
I have installed latest version and have been using it since more than a month or so. I have not faced any issues and in fact the battery consumption has been improved in this latest version. So, i strongly suggest you to install the latest version.
Old 31st May 2016, 12:12   #23598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am planning to buy the Nexus 5X 32 GB from ebay with seller warranty at 20K after coupons.
I feel this is an excellent deal.
It's got the best camera for sure in this price range. The chipset is also very good and you guaranteed to get updates for a long time.
The cons are - average battery life. ordinary looks (I will put a cover anyways). and only 2 GB RAM.
I think 2 GB RAM should be good enough for multi-tasking though 3 GB RAM and >3000 mah battery would have been perfect.

Is there anything better in the market right now at this price range?
MY priorities are 5" screen, good camera, good performance (less bloatware), battery life.
Hey, i have similar requirements like yours and have also finalized on Nexus 5x. There is a seller on ebay who gives Indian warranty for 18500. Looks like a sweet deal for me too.

I'm waiting for an olx seller who has a 1 month old phone that he wants to sell for a much lower price.
Old 31st May 2016, 12:21   #23599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I have not faced any issues and in fact the battery consumption has been improved in this latest version. So, i strongly suggest you to install the latest version.
Thanks @kavensri. I have been hearing on the forums that there are camera issues and few people have commented on issues with syncing new contacts with the attached gmail account - You seem to have a different opinion on the new version.

Still in 2 minds
Old 31st May 2016, 12:42   #23600
BHPian

Korean phones in India

Hi

Has anyone used korean phones in india?
I wish to get a LG wine smart or LG galaxy folder from Korea ( dont seem to be available anywhere else). Basically need a good looking flip phone

Not able to get any information regarding usability in India
Any help shall be greatly appreciated
Old 31st May 2016, 12:47   #23601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Hey, i have similar requirements like yours and have also finalized on Nexus 5x. There is a seller on ebay who gives Indian warranty for 18500. Looks like a sweet deal for me too.

I'm waiting for an olx seller who has a 1 month old phone that he wants to sell for a much lower price.
Which seller you are talking about?
Please share link.
I guess 18.5K for the 16 GB version.

Are you sure 16 GB will be enough for you?
I think phones without microsd support should have a minimum of 32 GB, 16 GB phones without miscrosd slot should not exist.
Old 31st May 2016, 13:09   #23602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Which seller you are talking about?
Please share link.
I guess 18.5K for the 16 GB version.

Are you sure 16 GB will be enough for you?
I think phones without microsd support should have a minimum of 32 GB, 16 GB phones without miscrosd slot should not exist.
I'm coming to this phone from a Nexus 5 16 GB and it serves me good. With gb as usable storage, i'm more than happy.

It is the 16 gb version.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/LG-NEXUS-5X-1...kAAOSwEOxXQLhZ

Which one are you talking about?
Old 31st May 2016, 13:42   #23603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks @kavensri. I have been hearing on the forums that there are camera issues and few people have commented on issues with syncing new contacts with the attached gmail account - You seem to have a different opinion on the new version.

Still in 2 minds
I agree with @kavensri. The latest update to 1+1 is Dragonfruit which is Cyanogen version of Android M (I am hoping you are on Cyanogen and not Oxygen OS). This version is actually very good and battery life is phenomenal. I had some issues with the sound quality on the calls with L but that has also got resolved with M.

One caveat though. I would suggest that you do a factory reset and then update to M. You will be amazed at how it changes the behavior of your device.
Old 31st May 2016, 14:19   #23604
BHPian

Quote:

Still in 2 minds
Hey @GJ01, try Cyanogenmod 13 ROM from Sultan. I'm using it on my oneplus and the Snapdragon Camera on his ROM is pretty good and also the battery life is really good for my 1.6 year old phone.
Old 31st May 2016, 14:25   #23605
Senior - BHPian

Guys please suggest a game to stress test my Moto G4+. I want to figure out how much the phone heats up before I pass it on to my MIL.

(short summary - the phenomenal screen and lighter weight is the only reason i'll choose it over the Redmi Note 3. The camera is a letdown personally i.e at par with RN3. The fingerprint sensor is brilliant but the ergonomics are .. awkward. I end up using it like the iPhone only to realize the sensor is not clickable).
Old 31st May 2016, 14:27   #23606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I would suggest that you do a factory reset and then update to M. You will be amazed at how it changes the behavior of your device.
Thanks Zappo.

Yes my OPO is on Cyanogen 12.1.1

Its been 1.5 yrs running this phone, a factory reset will surely do it good, but I have just too many apps installed from apk's directly and not from G-Play. Doing a factory reset will be too much of a hassle in getting all of that restored and will run into a couple of days.
Old 31st May 2016, 15:35   #23607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Guys please suggest a game to stress test my Moto G4+. I want to figure out how much the phone heats up before I pass it on to my MIL.

(short summary - the phenomenal screen and lighter weight is the only reason i'll choose it over the Redmi Note 3. The camera is a letdown personally i.e at par with RN3. The fingerprint sensor is brilliant but the ergonomics are .. awkward. I end up using it like the iPhone only to realize the sensor is not clickable).
I think you can try death trigger 2. It is a bit heavy in the graphics front.
Old 31st May 2016, 15:51   #23608
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Zappo.

Its been 1.5 yrs running this phone, a factory reset will surely do it good, but I have just too many apps installed from apk's directly and not from G-Play. Doing a factory reset will be too much of a hassle in getting all of that restored and will run into a couple of days.
You can use any of the backup apps to create a restore point. Titanium back up is the best. Though root would be required for this app.
Old 31st May 2016, 16:00   #23609
Senior - BHPian

I played with my colleagues' Moto G4+ for some time and did some comparisons with other phones. One word - disappointed.

Let me give the pros first -
nice screen
value for money
front camera is very wide
fast camera
Light weight

Now the cons -
Doesn't feel like Moto phone. The build quality is just not there. No water-repellent coating.
Camera is fast to operate and focus but picture quality is at best average. Photos look similar to Samsung J5, nothing great. Oneplus X photos looked better.
Too big even for 5.5". Compared with Leco 1s and that one was quite a bit narrower with slimmer bezels.
Fingerprint scanner placement is odd.

Only reason to pickup this phone is the specs : price ratio and overall value for money.
Also, I don't know if there is a better alternative in this price range with fingerprint scanner and decent hardware. The new Zenfone 3 might be a good option to consider within 15K range.

Last edited by adimicra : 31st May 2016 at 16:01.
Old 31st May 2016, 16:03   #23610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Zappo.

There are ways to store the APKs as backup first before you do a factory reset. But if you ask me, it's worth every penny and more to do a clean install of M. You will love what you will achieve.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks