Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 17:27   #23731
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Purchased a Samsung Wireless Qi Fast charger from US last month and also a Samsung Qi enabled back cover for my Galaxy Note 3 N9000.
Got it today from my friend who arrived today.
The design is beautiful and so is the performance.

Have not been able to test it thoroughly but it took 10 minutes to charge 15% of the battery (60% to 75%)
I had been using a china made wireless charger and a china made reciever pad kept under the OE back cover (it doesn't come with an integrated reciever)
Compared to that there is absolutely no heating (it used to get really hot)

Also the back cover is now heavier and thicker by a millimeter.
The input is a 2A charger adapter. Overall quite happy with the product.

The Wireless charger available in India is not an "adaptive fast charging" one.
The back cover sot me 45$ and the charger cost me 70$

Seeing the pictures online I had expected it to be little big but it is relatively small. Some photos are attached below.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20160613_163106.jpg
Front View

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20160613_163117.jpg
Side View

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20160613wa0016.jpg
With the phone
Old 14th June 2016, 08:21   #23732
BHPian

I'm looking for a 4G enabled android phone in 15k bracket.
Can anyone here suggest a decent phone with following usage in mind:

1. Primarily use is calls. It should not heat up while talking >30mins.
2. Voice clarity
3. Basic usage of internet browsing, whatsapp & google maps navigation.
Old 14th June 2016, 08:43   #23733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Purchased a Samsung Wireless Qi Fast charger from US last month and also a Samsung Qi enabled back cover for my Galaxy Note 3 N9000.
Got it today from my friend who arrived today.
The design is beautiful and so is the performance.

Have not been able to test it thoroughly but it took 10 minutes to charge 15% of the battery (60% to 75%)
I had been using a china made wireless charger and a china made reciever pad kept under the OE back cover (it doesn't come with an integrated reciever)
Compared to that there is absolutely no heating (it used to get really hot)

Also the back cover is now heavier and thicker by a millimeter.
The input is a 2A charger adapter. Overall quite happy with the product.

The Wireless charger available in India is not an "adaptive fast charging" one.
The back cover sot me 45$ and the charger cost me 70$
I happened to order this for a friend for 47$ from Amazon through prime shipping. The Black was 10$ more. Great product!
Old 14th June 2016, 11:24   #23734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Help me understand the fascination with SOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Would I be right in thinking that how long one can watch movies, play games and even text chat, is more important to a huge number of phone buyers than how long one can use the thing as a phone is? If so, then I suppose that explains a lot of the Screen On Time obession.
Absolutely agree with Thad there. Phone isn't a phone anymore. It's a personal "entertainment" unit of sorts which can also make calls (if need be). If we were to compare the screen on time with the call time, the former would come out on top always. For a majority. Hence the importance accorded to it. Nothing correct or incorrect here, just helps one gauge if a particular phone is suited to one's use case or not.
Old 14th June 2016, 12:20   #23735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Absolutely agree with Thad there. Phone isn't a phone anymore. It's a personal "entertainment" unit of sorts which can also make calls (if need be). If we were to compare the screen on time with the call time, the former would come out on top always. For a majority. Hence the importance accorded to it. Nothing correct or incorrect here, just helps one gauge if a particular phone is suited to one's use case or not.
Well that's what these 'smart' phones are made for aren't they? I also happen spend most of my screen time stuck on TBHP and very little on calls. But hey, I'm not complaining! Who will, when one gets TBHP on the go too?
Old 14th June 2016, 14:37   #23736
BHPian

It seems that Hindustan Times has accidentally published a draft ad for One Plus 3. The ad shows the price as Rs. 27,999 for 6 GB, 64GB version alongwith a few offers from amazon, idea and saavn.
Old 14th June 2016, 14:39   #23737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hi..I respect your choice but just curious to know why you want to buy the HTC A9. Since this falls in my budget and meets the basic requirements, I looked at this model in details but I felt it is overpriced for what it offers and the camera quality is also not great plus have a smallish battery. So, just curious to know why you decided to buy this. May be I have missed something.
Hi Adimicra, Sorry for the late reply. I was little busy and put a hold for this search.

Actually, I did see this particular color and model in flesh, they're amazing to hold/feel. Really willing to buy this one at any cost.

I'm searching almost all the US sites, but could not get the global version (32GB deep garnett red). One of my friend return to India from San Jose, he asked me to share the link where he can purchase. Please let me know if you come across any such reliable sites
Old 14th June 2016, 16:04   #23738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Well that's what these 'smart' phones are made for aren't they? ... ... ...
Absolutely. I also tell people that I do not carry a phone, I carry a pocket computer. I make/receive only very few calls --- to the extent that I actually fumble with the phone calls!
Old 14th June 2016, 16:16   #23739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
@phamilyman - that is some amazing battery life you got there.

Thanks everyone for the updates on Nexus 5X. 3 hours SOT is not at all acceptable to me.
In my 2 year old Moto X, I get around 2.5 hours and it has become a huge pain for me.
When the phone was new and had good old Kitkat, I was getting 4 hours SOT.
I wonder why the Nexus 5X has such poor battery life. On paper, 5.2" screen with 2700 mah battery sounds reasonable and Marshmallow is supposed to be be having better battery life. The only reason I was considering Nexus 5X is because of the great camera (best camera in the price range) and the future updates being a Nexus

I need something with at least 4 hours SOT. So, Nexus 5X ruled out for me.
SOT while widely used as a measure of batter life (maybe since it is easily seen and quantified?) is not very accurate I would say. I have a Nexus 5X too and the SOT generally varies according to usage. For ex a person talking on a phone for a long time will have a lower SOT compared to a person who mostly does browsing since phone will use the battery but screen will be off.

Also from my experience, leaving the screen ON without constantly touching (like reading) will give you much higher SOT than constantly touching the screen (Like during browsing FB). Also screen brightness plays some role too. This is due to the CPU going into touch boost mode when screen is touched so as to have a high frame rate and smooth experience. Constantly touching/swiping the screen will keep the CPU in boost mode longer thereby reducing battery life. So whether the Nexus5X will suit you or not depends on your usage and expectations.

I can get more than 4hr SOT in my 5x most of the time and even went closer to 5hrs a few times. One more factor to consider is that it charges up really quickly due to USB Type-C

Last edited by praveen_v : 14th June 2016 at 16:19.
Old 14th June 2016, 17:47   #23740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
... ... ... One more factor to consider is that it charges up really quickly due to USB Type-C
I thought it was just a different plug/socket, the underlying USB data/power specs being the same USB 2.0. Am wrong? Haven't had the need to do more than just note USB-C in passing.

Quick-Charge 2* certainly makes a difference. The days of needing to charge a phone for hours when it runs flat are over

*and now 3, of course, but, so long as I'm more careful in the next flood, I'm stuck on 2 for a while. And it is more than good enough for me!
Old 14th June 2016, 19:03   #23741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post

2. Voice clarity
Your best bet would be Motorola G4 Plus. Get the one with 3GB ram and turbo charger. My younger brother has been using one since launch and has been very happy with it. The build quality isnt and battery life isnt the bet but manageable.
Old 14th June 2016, 19:54   #23742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I thought it was just a different plug/socket, the underlying USB data/power specs being the same USB 2.0. Am wrong? Haven't had the need to do more than just note USB-C in passing.

Quick-Charge 2* certainly makes a difference. The days of needing to charge a phone for hours when it runs flat are over

*and now 3, of course, but, so long as I'm more careful in the next flood, I'm stuck on 2 for a while. And it is more than good enough for me!
Yes the data protocol is based on USB 2.0 but the type C cable allows higher current to be transferred. The OEM charger is rated at 15W (5V and max 3A current). The charging speed is noticeable. It charges from 15-20% to 100% capacity in around 40 minutes. So yes, USB type C is not just a Gimmick
Old 14th June 2016, 20:30   #23743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post

2. Voice clarity
Look at Lenovo. They have different models below that price point.
Old 14th June 2016, 21:43   #23744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Yes the data protocol is based on USB 2.0 but the type C cable allows higher current to be transferred. The OEM charger is rated at 15W (5V and max 3A current). The charging speed is noticeable. It charges from 15-20% to 100% capacity in around 40 minutes. So yes, USB type C is not just a Gimmick
Oh great, thank you. I thought it was just for those that can't turn a USB plug three times!
Old 14th June 2016, 23:34   #23745
Senior - BHPian

A lot of you are worried about screen on time. It's not the best indicator of battery life as usage varies from user to user.
Here's a tool that might give you an idea about how good your (new) phone is:
http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

The results will still vary as you'll use apps, which might consume a lot of processing power in the background.

Most Viewed