Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2013, 14:12   #16231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Required Non-Samsung Android Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
5) Clarification on Internal Memory Part--
I want Internal Memory to be of 8GB Minimum since Jelly Bean does not allow to move Apps to SD Card (or am I missing out something?).
Need not always be true. On my phone which is running Jellybean 4.2.1 the "Manage Apps" application under "Settings" shows up a "Move to SD Card" link for most apps, and the apps seem to work fine too after moving to SD card (except for a slower startup).

Apparently it is some manufacturers / phones (like Samsung S3 / S4 etc) which disable this feature for whatever reasons.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:59   #16232
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have always been partial to htc. Also, with modern htc units unlocking the bootloader and then rooting is a cinch. I have an htc One - CDMA + GSM at the moment.
Old 13th September 2013, 17:23   #16233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post

Get Nexus 4 from US, it is available for $199 now!
Nexus 4 doesn't have FM and definitely won't last 24h with data on always! And yeah-the camera is nothing to boast about either!
Old 13th September 2013, 18:12   #16234
Senior - BHPian

My brother is facing an issue with his nexus 4.
His handset was purchased from US and was working fine but post 4.3 update, one day suddenly his cell radio stopped working - the signal was always zero but he was able to access internet using 3G.
He took the phone to LG service center - they showed him that the IMEI number is 0 and they said it is a motherboard issue and will cost 12K to fix it.

On searching net, I came across this issue happening to many people - IMEI resetting to 0. Just want to know if anyone here has faced same issue and any work around to fix it. As of now, i have asked him to sit tight, thinking that next few updates from google may fix this issue.

--Anoop
Old 13th September 2013, 18:27   #16235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
My brother is facing an issue with his nexus 4.
His handset was purchased from US and was working fine but post 4.3 update, one day suddenly his cell radio stopped working - the signal was always zero but he was able to access internet using 3G.
He took the phone to LG service center - they showed him that the IMEI number is 0 and they said it is a motherboard issue and will cost 12K to fix it.

On searching net, I came across this issue happening to many people - IMEI resetting to 0. Just want to know if anyone here has faced same issue and any work around to fix it. As of now, i have asked him to sit tight, thinking that next few updates from google may fix this issue.

--Anoop
I am not sure if we are allowed to paste links here...but here goes

1)http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=33

2) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2060780&page=2

Basically what is says is to re-flash the factory image. for this you would need to unlock bootloader, root, install recovery and then proceed.

Whilst I haven't done this to my Nexus 4, I have rooted and flashed a lot on my Motorola Defy and Nexus 7.

Let me know if you need further help.
Old 13th September 2013, 19:04   #16236
Distinguished - BHPian

My defy+ button lights are failing. First there were four, then three, now, a couple of days more and it is only two. The buttons still work. Phone is only 19 months old.
Old 13th September 2013, 19:54   #16237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My defy+ button lights are failing. First there were four, then three, now, a couple of days more and it is only two. The buttons still work. Phone is only 19 months old.
Lights don't matter as long as the phone is fine. Hope you are running jelly bean too. For such an old phone to run the latest android version is simply amazing.
Old 13th September 2013, 21:50   #16238
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, largely because of encouragement from T-BHPers, I am running Cyanogenmod. It works better than the original stock system too.

...Oh, now my wifi is giving trouble. Cold reboot.....

EDIT: That was my fault. Somehow I'd turned DHCP off on the router.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th September 2013 at 22:05.
Old 14th September 2013, 00:53   #16239
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need to buy a mobile phone for my mother. Requirements are pretty basic - should be able to run apps like whatsapp and some games. Although I know she will never play games on the phone and will mostly be using the phone for calls/messages and whatsapp and occassional internet browsing. I am not looking at brands like Micromax, Karbon etc. Budget is also not fixed - I was looking at Lumia range around 16k but my mother is saying she also needs a high end phone as she will not be changing the phone for 3-4 years. Please help me with this! I am inclined towards Android only as of now.
Old 14th September 2013, 18:29   #16240
Senior - BHPian

It took me two hours to add option to turn off data and wifi when screen is turned off. My android reported 4% battery loss in 6 hours, that's 150 hrs or 6 days of idle time! This was with a bunch of apps and messengers running in background (obviously deprived of data).

The only downside is you will not get any updates from network based apps (gtalk, messenger, email, whatsapp etc) when screen is turned off. but they will get updated in seconds after turning on the screen.

EDIT: this test was done overnight with screen turned off and battery charged at 100%.

Name:  Screenshot_20130913122912.png
Views: 642
Size:  22.3 KB

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 14th September 2013 at 18:32.
Old 14th September 2013, 23:05   #16241
BHPian

Superb. Was waiting for something like this. Downloaded and installed. Will post feedback soon.
Old 15th September 2013, 11:52   #16242
BHPian

The volume rocker on my HTC Desire (A8181 - the old phone with Android 2.1/2.2) is broken. Basically, the volume down button is not working any more. It is needed to access the hboot menu (for any customizations).

Because of this volume button, I am not able to upgrade to any new ROM. I want to upgrade it to custom 4.x ROM and use it as a backup phone at home for internet calls & chatting for my parents (more like a deskphone - wired to power point if need be). But, I need to get this fixed first. I dont want to spend a few thousands just to get the volume button fixed.

Any idea where I can get it fixed for lower price (HTC service is uber expensive) in Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Lenovo P780, with 5 in screen and 4000 Mah battery. I recently saw this deal on snapdeal, which is a mouthwatering price (rs 16160), but makes me think - could there be a catch? Any first hand users of P780 who can share their experiences?
I am using P780 for last 2-3 weeks now. Purchased it on Amazon.in for 17K. I am loving it. The battery lasts for 3 days easily for my moderate-high usage which is great. The lenovo ROM in this phone is good with all the apps (power management, launcher, themes etc - gives a fresh feel to android). Old HTC used to last <1 day earlier and even less when WIFI is on.
Some cons:
1. Needs a screen guard & a back case. Build is solid, & a rich look but the back is scratch prone. The aluminum panel is very flimsy & can dent easily. Managed to get a screen guard in a local shop, but no luck with a proper fit case. I do not fancy those soft rubber gel like sticky covers. I have ordered hard cases - multiple colors - from Ali Express now :P I have ordered 20 of them & can sell on ebay.
2. lenovo launcher is great. I love its fancy features. But it is heavy. With all the google nonsense thrown in, memory usage is high (50%+ by default). May be putting custom roms will solve this problem. But I am liking it the way it is. It just works great as a smart phone for professional use & entertainment.
3. I am worried about the power button at the top. Just get a feeling that it will give up much earlier than its life time (surely not as flimsy as the HTC volume rocker).
4. Takes 3+ hours to charge from ~5% to 100%. It is OK considering the size of the battery. Atleast I dont have to lug a charger/usb cable always. I have read comments about charging port is at the top, difficult to talk when charging, but who cares? you need to worry about all this when you have to charge every 2-3 hours (like other phones) to avoid being out of juice by end of the day. This is not the case for P780 users

In a nutshell, it is a no nonsense smartphone with excellent battery. Just go for it

Last edited by null : 15th September 2013 at 12:19. Reason: P780 feedback
Old 15th September 2013, 15:17   #16243
PPS
Senior - BHPian

My Samsung S III is taking awfully long time to charge! The phone is hardly 7 months old. Has it got anything to do with the battery or the charger?
The same thing had happened couple of months back but never happened again until 2 days ago!
Old 15th September 2013, 17:45   #16244
BHPian

Among the slightly lower cost android phones, What is the feedback on Karbonn Titanium S2? Specs look very fine and feedback on flipkart site also does not have major negative feedback. Would like to know BHP' ians experience.
Old 15th September 2013, 18:38   #16245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
My Samsung S III is taking awfully long time to charge! The phone is hardly 7 months old. Has it got anything to do with the battery or the charger?
The same thing had happened couple of months back but never happened again until 2 days ago!
Hello PPS
I have had the Samsung S3 since 7 months too and I have been facing the same problem off and on since June-July and its got much worse now.
See,mainly it could be one of two things. First being your charger has gone bust or something wrong with the battery. Solution to this is to borrow a Samsung charger or use a blackberry charger and see if it charges properly. If its indeed a a problem with your current charger, you will have to buy a new charger since the charger provided with the phone comes with a 6 month warranty. Also, try and swap the battery from a friends battery and see if it charges normally. Normally the phone shouldn't take over 2-3 hours to full charge. The rate of charge should be roughly a little more than 1% increase in battery level every 2 mins or something like that. It's noticeable.

The second thing you could be facing, is a problem with the port on the phone. Where the charger and the usb plugs into the phone. A loose connection or something. The internet is full of people writing about it on various forums. It's a known issue apparently.I came across people complaining about this on the S3 and the Note 2 as well. I noticed something was wrong on my s3 when it would take 6-7 hours to full charge or just charge 5% percent in an hour.I used to use my phone when its on charge, so the movement use to shake things up and it used to charge really slowly. I had to choose between charging or using it. It's extremely frustrating. Ever since I've just about been managing. I plug it in and keep shifting and fiddling with the wire in the phones female port and sit with it for 10-15 minutes to see if its charging normally or not and then leave it still to charge for a couple of hours at night. That's the only way I can charge it. Mind you as soon as the phone is plugged it says its charging but you'l know if its charging properly or not if u come back and check after 15 minutes.
For this you have to contact a Samsung Service Centre as soon as you can.
I haven't had the time or patience to deal with it as yet, because leaving the phone with them for 7-10 days is going to be a task. All my contacts are on the phone, and the micro/mini sim card in the phone is useless to me if I want to use it in a backup phone. I will have to get airtel to issue me a new sim etc etc. All in all, great phone but expected it to be a little more reliable. Samsung
Please do keep me posted. Thanks

Regards
Promit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks