Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 23:16   #1231
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Is there something wrong with galaxy S or is it a genuine shortage in the market ?

i have been searching for the same since 3 weeks and only answer Ive got is - not available as the last shipment came 2 months ago from the company. Reason given- no idea. ETA - cannot be given.
Are you checking at big shops like Croma, Vijay Sales etc? Check out smaller shops, try National Market. I had trouble finding it in bigger shops, but was readily available in smaller shops here in Bombay.
Old 29th December 2010, 23:27   #1232
BHPian

I saw the Dell XCD 35 at a store and was amazed with the clarity of the screen. An 800X480 pixels display definitely beats the budget android crowd. Pictures, video and web pages looked so much better rendered. Only downer, it cost around 16.9k (MRP) and the cheapest I could find it was for 15.5k.

Of course, before that I had set my sights on an Optimus One (12.5k) and was waiting for the Samsung Galaxy 551 with the slide out qwerty keyboard. But after seeing the XCD screen, I guess I would feel a bit sad about the screens on other phones. Do you guys think a stretch of 3k over the optimums/Galaxy 551 is worth it. Cos in other respects, (Processor, Camera etc they are pretty equal). AND the Optimus has 2.2, upgradable to 2.3. The XCD comes with only 2.1 for now.
Old 29th December 2010, 23:34   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Yeah but what happens if you break the contract? do we have to pay them the full money for the phone?
lets say if its for a 2 year contract - to break free from the contract (note phone is not locked) you will pay minimum monthly committed amount for remaining months (out of 24). This will typically be much more than buying the phone outright - contracts only make sense if you plan to use em not break out
I am sure before you can even get into contract - you will have to prove you will be in US and have a valid visa for the period of contract. If you plan to just run away, then make sure you don't ever go back to the US

Edit - Note again, nexus S even as part of a tmobile contract is unlocked. You can get it to India and put whatever sim you want in it. Google phones are not locked. Can't say the same about the other 2 phones.

Last edited by jassi : 29th December 2010 at 23:36.
Old 30th December 2010, 02:24   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Are you checking at big shops like Croma, Vijay Sales etc? Check out smaller shops, try National Market. I had trouble finding it in bigger shops, but was readily available in smaller shops here in Bombay.
Q Where is this National Market? detailed location please. contact details if any would be highly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I saw the Dell XCD 35 at a store and was amazed with the clarity of the screen. The XCD comes with only 2.1 for now.
Have you considered the Dell Streak? similar or better screen and runs on 2.2, the price may be a deal breaker though, I understand it is closer to 20K.
Old 30th December 2010, 07:14   #1235
KRN
BHPian

Re: Wildfire Froyo Update!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Hi KRN,
I am considering HTC WildFire as my next phone. I am searching for reviews of the phone - specifically the GPS and navigation features.
Does this come with free maps?
How good is the GPS?
The phone comes pre-loaded with Google maps (like most other android phones), however, Google has not enabled navigation in India and so turn by turn (voice guided) navigation is not available yet.

GPS on the phone is pretty good and it is easy to get a lock very quickly with GPRS on.

There are other apps available in the android market which can do navigation (have not tried most of them and so can't provide inputs).
Old 30th December 2010, 08:25   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post

I have checked with every shop who gives 1 year unconditional warranty on the cell phones (Sangeeta, univercell, themobilestore etc etc). None of them have it. Yes, it is available on ebay. But no unconditional warranty.

Got to know that NEXUS S is gonna be launched in India soon. If it is for sure then its worth the wait. And also heard that it is been sold/marketed by Samsung.
Let me postpone the shopping by a month just to see if nexus is launching in india..

EDIT : eBay India: SAMSUNG Google Nexus s Mobile ANDOROID 2.3 Ginger Bread (item 270685159572 end time 05-Jan-2011 08:00:00 IST)
Pre-installed with Ginger Bread !!!!

Is this price worth it ? (Without B&W)

Last edited by livyodream : 30th December 2010 at 08:32.
Old 30th December 2010, 09:28   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Thanks, will check this out and update.
Well i checked this, but its behaving the same way. After selecting media player, its connected and tries to read for 10 secs and after that nothing happens. Dont know where the problem is.
Old 30th December 2010, 09:39   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Q Where is this National Market? detailed location please. contact details if any would be highly appreciated.
National market is Bangalore's version of our good old Gaffar market, Karol Bagh.
Old 30th December 2010, 10:26   #1239
BHPian

Think the Nexus S is releasing soon in India Samsung Nexus S Price India, Samsung Nexus S Review & Features, Buy Samsung Mobiles - Infibeam.com
Old 30th December 2010, 12:22   #1240
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Got a s/w update yesterday on my xperia x10 mini pro! Was gently surprised to see that the update enabled me to un-install the two useless games which were wasting my phone memory, namely, CA gold rush and Roller coaster, without having to root my phone.

Good my Sony Ericsson. Hope they come with future updates that enables one to remove more such needless applications (peggle, music player, navigation, road sync etc), without having to root the phone.
Old 30th December 2010, 12:34   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Guys anyone using Dell Streak??
I rather like this thing, so if anyone has this thing can he/she please post a mini review. Also I gather it is on Android 2.2. One the Gingerbread is out will Dell issue update accordingly??
Old 30th December 2010, 12:50   #1242

Just came to know that flipkart has listed the HTC DesireZ for Rs 25799 and are taking pre-orders for the same with the release date set to the 3rd of Jan.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:18   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Go to the Flipkart website and check out the phones available - I would suggest LG Optimus One or the Motorola phone
Thanks bro. I will check that out. Has anyone used LG Optimus?

Has anyone used the Mobile Tracker option in Samsung Galaxy 3?
Old 30th December 2010, 17:41   #1244
BANNED

The mobile tracker is a feature which sends an SMS to a predifined number if the phone is used with a different SIM. I think it exists on most Samsung and LG models.
Old 30th December 2010, 18:27   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The mobile tracker is a feature which sends an SMS to a predifined number if the phone is used with a different SIM. I think it exists on most Samsung and LG models.
True, but there is more to Mobile Tracker as per the Samsung phone manual and websites. With Samsung Mobile Tracker, you could remotely lock your phone, wipe its data etc if it is lost/stolen by logging onto http://www.samsungdive.com

I wanted to know if it is supported in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks