Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 00:45   #8731
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Have you tried showing this to iPhone fans? They will make you believe that he is saying totally wrong things....

I agree that Android user experience is more straight forward and things can be more easily done, but in iPhone you have to get used to that specialized way of using it, then it becomes comfortable. Without JB our with a developer account, most of these things are not possible in an iPhone.
I showed a couple of those cool features to my wife who is an iphone fan and she was impressed. She wished something like this would have been available without JB. She is not a JB fan as its still under warranty. She has already told me that her next phone will be an android based phone only as she is bored with iphone. its a little over a year and she has been yearning for the next upgrade from a long time.

Other friends whom i showed had nothing to say after this except that i still love iphone and did some beating around the bush saying crap things. All i do is smile.

Last edited by chevelle : 25th April 2012 at 00:49.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:55   #8732
BHPian

Ok guys, I picked up a galaxy S2 9100 yesterday and it came running android 2.3.5.

I read on gsmarena that the S2 is upgradable to android 4.0 and runs better on this platform.

Now, is this upgrade something that an android newbie like myself could do on his own or would i need to approach a samsung sercice centre??

Please advise...

Last edited by vikash49 : 25th April 2012 at 07:59.
Old 25th April 2012, 09:43   #8733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Ok guys, I picked up a galaxy S2 9100 yesterday and it came running android 2.3.5.

I read on gsmarena that the S2 is upgradable to android 4.0 and runs better on this platform.

Now, is this upgrade something that an android newbie like myself could do on his own or would i need to approach a samsung sercice centre??

Please advise...
first and foremost,make sure its the I9100 version and not the I9100G version.

secondly android 4.0 or ICS hasnt been upgraded to S2 phones in India.
you can check it by connecting via Kies which will automatically update your phone.
Old 25th April 2012, 09:49   #8734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj

first and foremost,make sure its the I9100 version and not the I9100G version.

secondly android 4.0 or ICS hasnt been upgraded to S2 phones in India.
you can check it by connecting via Kies which will automatically update your phone.
Hi,
I also bought my Samsung Galaxy S2 around 10 days back and it is the I9100 , Jan 2012 manufactured and mine is with Gingerbread 2.3.6 android Os. Need advice from experts on whether to move to ICS or not and which variant? I am a complete noob to Android.
Thanks!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 25th April 2012, 09:57   #8735
BHPian

Quote:

Please advise...
Is your S2 a I9100 or I9100G?
The official ICS update from Samsung over their proprietary software Kies hasn't been released yet for India. When they do that, it is as simple as backing up your hard drive to update.
Connect your phone after you have downloaded the software, it'll check if you have the latest, if not it'll will ask whether you want to update & to backup all your data. Depending on the speed of your net & lappy you should be done in an hour or two time.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:39   #8736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV

Is your S2 a I9100 or I9100G?
The official ICS update from Samsung over their proprietary software Kies hasn't been released yet for India. When they do that, it is as simple as backing up your hard drive to update.
Connect your phone after you have downloaded the software, it'll check if you have the latest, if not it'll will ask whether you want to update & to backup all your data. Depending on the speed of your net & lappy you should be done in an hour or two time.
Hi avinash, thanks for the detailed explaination... I got his from Dubai... so does this change the status in any way?

Pls see screenshot of phone properties... I'm confused between the two models you guys are talking about...

Name:  ForumRunner_20120425_103721.png
Views: 846
Size:  278.7 KB
Old 25th April 2012, 12:06   #8737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi,
Need advice from experts on whether to move to ICS or not and which variant? I am a complete noob to Android.
there is only one version of ICS if your upgrading via samsung.so plug into kies,check for updates
if updates present,backup via kies and update to ICS.
Quote:
Pls see screenshot of phone properties... I'm confused between the two models you guys are talking about...
As per the screenshot,the model number given is for I9100 version and not
I9100G.

As per my knowledge the I9100 OR I9100G haven't got ICS updates in India yet.
Old 25th April 2012, 13:03   #8738
BHPian

Yesterday night I finally got my Nexus S upgraded to ICS 4.0.4.
Old 25th April 2012, 13:52   #8739
BHPian

US Galaxy nexus contract free price drops to 399$. It is now available at Play Store.

Contract-free Galaxy Nexus falls to $399 as Galaxy S III looms
Old 25th April 2012, 14:46   #8740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Anyone visiting the USA can now pick up the galaxy nexus GSM version directly from the google play store. unlocked and without contract for a low price of <20K

Google back in the smartphone sales game: unlocked Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (GSM) available for $399 -- Engadget
This is a super deal.

Any way we can use Market enabler to set a US IP and book the phone to someone in the US from here?
Old 25th April 2012, 15:38   #8741
BHPian

Folks - I am picking up a Samsung Note tomorrow. Heard a few opinions on Nexus being a better one, but not sure when will this come to India.

Any pearls of wisdom on Note??
Old 25th April 2012, 15:51   #8742
Senior - BHPian

^^
Note is a super phone. Only it is super big as well.

Nexus is definitely better pick of the two (being the official Google phone). Its so sad that its not yet launched in India. It might only come when it is no longer the best Android phone out there (read to dump here any remaining unsold pieces in the western world).

Go for the Note if you want to buy a phone now.
Old 25th April 2012, 16:30   #8743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Folks - I am picking up a Samsung Note tomorrow. Heard a few opinions on Nexus being a better one, but not sure when will this come to India.

If you are planning on taking the Galaxy note, be sure to avail the special offer running currently : Sennheiser headphone + Free apps + Flip cover.
You can find more details on:
Galaxy Note Offer

I was also considering the Note, but the sheer size and weight of Note made me opt for the S2 I9100 instead.
I also have a hunch that Samsung is going to replace the Galaxy Note with the Galaxy S3 (they are similar in size) and hence this promo could be happening to clear existing stocks. The S3 launch is around May 5th internationally.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 25th April 2012 at 16:48.
Old 25th April 2012, 16:38   #8744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post

I just took the plunge and bought the Note. Too early to comment, still I love it. The other option was S2 and I fell for the extra real estate. I do spend quite a time browsing and hence i went for it.. I think i can live without a tab now :-)
Old 25th April 2012, 17:38   #8745
BHPian

@sbkumar - my reasons for buying note are the same. big screen leading to a better browsing experience. @behemoth - I am getting it through a contact so i am getting it atleast four thousand less than the market price. Not sure whether i can avail the offer though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks