Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 23:37   #8581
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

With most phones now using gorilla glass, does it make sense to use a screen guard ? I just got one for my Atrix 2 off flipkart and it turned out to be the matte finish one. It keeps away the fingerprints and stuff but kinda ruins the whole sharpness of the display.

Anybody using their gorilla glass phone without any screen guards ? Does the screen remain scratch free with regular daily usage..?
Old 13th April 2012, 07:03   #8582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun
With most phones now using gorilla glass, does it make sense to use a screen guard ? I just got one for my Atrix 2 off flipkart and it turned out to be the matte finish one. It keeps away the fingerprints and stuff but kinda ruins the whole sharpness of the display.

Anybody using their gorilla glass phone without any screen guards ? Does the screen remain scratch free with regular daily usage..?
I am using my Defy without any screen guard since last 6-7 months. No case either. No problems so far. Only issue is, the screen gets lots of smudges in daily use. I was thinking of putting a matt finish guard on its screen to avoid finger print, but the lack of proper visibility put me off.
Old 13th April 2012, 07:06   #8583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

I bought a cheap scratch guard anyways. kept it for 2 months till the damn thing got scratched by a Canon SLR cap. Since then been happy without it.

A good bumper matters. scratches will be rare. Drops are daily. And one day it can shatter. Just like that.
Old 13th April 2012, 07:57   #8584
BHPian

Anybody has any idea when the galaxy r will get ics? :(
Old 13th April 2012, 09:06   #8585
BHPian

Guys, need a suggestion. Planning to buy an Android phone for my wifey. I have a Desire with GB and extremely satisfied with overall build quality, software etc. Absolutely no issues what so ever. Have been using it for close to 2yrs now.

Now, for the new phone I am confused between the One V (costs arnd 18.5 on Flipkart) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 (imported/unlocked, sealed piece available on ebay India for 28.5k).

Nexus I9250 is a gorgeous phone with undoubtedly better specs than the One V. Only thing is it comes with Samsung International warranty which is not applicable in India and of course 10k more than One V.

I am so confused between the two phones that I just can't decide. Please advise.

I am not interested in the SGS2 (the inferior I9100G) or the Note (too big to carry on a day to day basis) and the Sony Ericsson/Motorola.
Old 13th April 2012, 09:25   #8586
BANNED

@flyingkolors; A lot depends on what she wants her phone for. I have an Incredible2 but for my wife I bought a Wildfire S and could even have gone lower. I did not do so due to Gorilla Glass as the phone kept in a purse is more likely to pick up scratches. Her universe is limited to Calls and sms.
Old 13th April 2012, 09:58   #8587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Now, for the new phone I am confused between the One V (costs arnd 18.5 on Flipkart) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 (imported/unlocked, sealed piece available on ebay India for 28.5k).
Me too was contemplating on buying the One V, but the major drawback I see is the lack of secondary camera. I foresee video calling as the future of communication. Can video calling still be done using the primary camera? If not, in my opinion, the One V is not worth 18k.

My use is limited to music, calls, sms and snaps. Is the Beats audio better than the Sony Walkman series? I prefer the Walkman series over even the iPod, while listening through ear-phones.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:19   #8588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@flyingkolors; A lot depends on what she wants her phone for. I have an Incredible2 but for my wife I bought a Wildfire S and could even have gone lower. I did not do so due to Gorilla Glass as the phone kept in a purse is more likely to pick up scratches. Her universe is limited to Calls and sms.
Hmm, can't agree more with your statement. While I do all kinds of things on my phone (rooting, flashing, etc), her usage is limited to calls/sms and browsing/maps at times. Only concern is One V comes with single core and 500MB RAM and may not see any updates in future (as happened with the Legend), as the future Android versions will certainly need dual cores/gig byte RAMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Me too was contemplating on buying the One V, but the major drawback I see is the lack of secondary camera.

My use is limited to music, calls, sms and snaps. Is the Beats audio better than the Sony Walkman series?
Trust me, seamless video calling is still a farther dream in India. And for the phones even with a front camera most of them are VGA or maximum of 1.3MP which results in very blurred images and frequent disconnects.

And yes, I found Beats better than the Sony series.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:53   #8589
Senior - BHPian

Beats audio can be patched onto a lot of firmwares. Its not a decider.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:06   #8590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Beats audio can be patched onto a lot of firmwares. Its not a decider.
Can you let me know what exactly is this Beats audio in the One V? Is it the hardware or firmware? What about the speakers and earphones?

I have a W705 with clear bass, which I personally rate above iPod. Is the Beats better than that? Will I be able to satisfy my music ear if I go for the lower spec Wildfire S?
Old 13th April 2012, 11:14   #8591
Senior - BHPian

Called the service center and my DOA is still in progress. Damn, its the sixth business day today and these things are supposed to turn around in 3-7 business days. Getting impatient now. :(

Quote:

I got a screen guard for my defy+ the very next morning after i had purchased it. It was the clear one, not matt so did not alter the display in any way. Even though its a gorilla glass i wanted one to avoid any scratches. My BIL has a samsung galaxy which has a gorilla glass (i dont recollect the model #) and it has a fine scratch on it... and he does not even know how this happened (no keys, coins, etc. in the pocket along with the phone).

Better safe than sorry Get one for your phone.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:18   #8592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

With Gorilla glass, I don't find any reason to use a Screen guard. in fact, touch feels great on the glass directly than on any screen guards. I had used two screen guards in the past. One was a smoother glossy one, which accumulated more oil than the glass, other was having Matt finish for improved touch experience, but display sucked. No screen guard is the way to go. There is not even a minor scratch till date, 1 year of usage. There were times I kept the phone without a pouch in my pocket along with my car keys while walking, but it never got scratched.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th April 2012 at 11:42.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:28   #8593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
With Gorilla glass, I don't find any reason to use a Screen guard. in fact, touch feels great on the glass directly than any screen guards. I had used two screen guards in the past. One was a smoother glossy one, which accumulated more oil than the glass, other was having Matt finish for improved touch experience, but display sucked. No screen guard is the way to go.
Cool. After reading this latest series of posts, even I have stripped off the Screen Guard today morning. I am so much happier now.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:35   #8594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I picked up 2 Galaxy Nexus for 24K.
Where did you get it at that price? Seems like a sweet deal to me, although I'm inclined to go for the white but that seems really expensive. Also there have been reports of problems with the latest updates on 'yakju' from Google - are they really falling behind here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
...As far as I have used, I think it has a real premium feel and premium materials are used. I personally liked White much more than brown. It is a very out of the crowd phone. And yes, I am loving the attention.
Thanks for the Pics. There have been reports of the camera getting micro - scratches due to the design - basically its being publicised as a design fault. Any views on this? Also any updates on the battery life?

Cheers.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:50   #8595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 (imported/unlocked, sealed piece available on ebay India for 28.5k).
GNex is an awesome buy at this price. I am using one for the past couple of weeks and the pure ICS experience is much better than GB.

Most Viewed