Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 19:19   #8806
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Reinstall Samsung drivers should resolve most issues..But why KIES and what do you love in it so much?
Old 27th April 2012, 19:28   #8807
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Or else email the contacts file that you backed up on your pc to the email account you have synced on your phone.
P.s try to resolve the connection issues from the kies on pc. It has a separate tool that says " Solve connection issues" whenever you get connection error it shows that option in the same dialog box.
Okay, so now I have managed to get the phone show up as a device in My Computer.

But, Samsung Kies still doesn't recognize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Reinstall Samsung drivers should resolve most issues..But why KIES and what do you love in it so much?
I don't want to have anything to do with it; just want to restore the contacts somehow :P
Old 27th April 2012, 19:37   #8808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Okay, so now I have managed to get the phone show up as a device in My Computer.

I don't want to have anything to do with it; just want to restore the contacts somehow :P

Now, where are your contacts? Phone or Gmail?

Both ways are easy and can be done without KIES!!!
Old 27th April 2012, 19:41   #8809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987

Had you synced your contacts with Gmail? You can retrieve them easily by syncing with gmail. All the contacts get backed up onto your phone. Also try retrieving the contacts from your sim card if you had stored contacts on the sim too.
Old 27th April 2012, 20:06   #8810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Looks like you have not been following this thread since start. There's a hacked version of Google maps available which enables turn by turn voice navigation even for India. It's called BRUT maps. Google it or search in this thread.
I have not gone through the thread completely but thanks for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Just go thru page No. 160 of the dedicated satnav thread. You will get your answer. Works flawlessly
Thanks Jo.
Old 27th April 2012, 20:36   #8811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Thanks Jo.
We all need to thank dkaile. He's the man.

Though I should tell you that using navigation just depletes your battery in matter of minutes! My 1650 mAH were gone in about an hour of use (from Bangalore airport to Marathalli) If you plan to use it in your car do buy a car charger for your mobile.
Old 27th April 2012, 21:06   #8812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
You should go for lumia 710.For your price range Id definitely suggest the lumia 710. And best part is you'd get faster processor and more ram than the galaxy ace.

Pros for lumia 710: Metro UI, Live tiles, easy facebook photo tag and upload, easy contacts transfer from previous nokia phones, 1.4ghz Qualcomm processor with 512mb ram v/s Ace's 800mhz and 256mb ram. Plus Nokia drive with turn by turn voice navigation

Cons for lumia 710: lack of bluetooth file transfer, songs can only be downloaded using extra apps such as easy ringtone. Better to stick to download on pc and then transfer to phone via zune. Only 8gb memory and non expandable

Phones you can look into within your price range:- Galaxy Ace+, Htc wildfire S, sony ericson neoV, samsung omnia W(superAMOLED screen vs lumia 710s Lcd) and if you could increase till 18k, id suggest you look no further than Htc One V. Flipkart is currently also giving 16gb memory card free with it.
Try to avoid blackberry if you can even though their service centers are very good.
Samsung wave 3 is also a good contender even though its not android.
P.s another member Shankar.balan sir also has the lumia 710. You may ask him about his experience with the phone.
Thanks for detailed review.

To be honest, the phone is not gonna be used much. Especially not for social networking. Major things it will do is call, sms, photos and emails. May be once in a blue moon they see pictures on it. Also its important that transfer to and from phone with pc should be easy. So camera is important, wifi is needed.

You mentioned GPS. Is it free with phone or one has to pay for it?

The processor is a win win. I didn't know ace plus had such a slow processor.

I am aware of other phones from HTC, Moto, Sony which are good but my dad is not keen on those. So have to skip those as he will be using those.

I have asked him to check all of above in stores. He will let me know today so I will update which one he likes. Hope to decide on one by tomorrow.

Thanks to all members who replied.
Old 27th April 2012, 21:41   #8813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
To be honest, the phone is not gonna be used much. Especially not for social networking. Major things it will do is call, sms, photos and emails. May be once in a blue moon they see pictures on it. Also its important that transfer to and from phone with pc should be easy. So camera is important, wifi is needed.
bluetooth transfer on windows phone are a headache but otherwise a beautiful OS.
i would strongly recommend the Wave 3 (S8600)
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s8600_wave_3-4126.php

the bada OS does all the basic functions.has real good camera and functional browser too.
to add to all this is a 4 inch display which is hard to get at this price range!

just for pointers:
Samsung Wave 3 s8600 bada 3g video calling 5mp with flash | eBay
Old 27th April 2012, 21:48   #8814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

Thanks for detailed review.

You mentioned GPS. Is it free with phone or one has to pay for it?
The gps is free. You only need to download the maps via wifi or pc. Plus an active mobile internet connection also helps to find routes faster. But that shouldnt be a problem.
Transfer to and from pc is handled via Zune and no other software works. However you wont be able to transfer files via bluetooth from phone to phone and this includes photos too. You need to transfer the photos to pc and then you can share it.
Lumia 710 has good low light photography.
If you want to avoid this hassle of file transfer better to opt for android phones. But then you wouldnt get bluetooth file transfer in iPhone also only iphone to iphone transfers work.

But the lumia 710 shines in other areas.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 27th April 2012 at 21:52.
Old 27th April 2012, 22:59   #8815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Well, looks like Sony removed the option to take a screenshot.

First impressions are very good. ICS version is 4.0.3 instead of 4.0.4. Google apps are much better, especially GMail. Overall UI feels much better polished and slick.

From Sony's side, they've improved the UI further. Most important functional change is smart dialing in the stock dialer, now I don't need any third-party dialer.
I found this video which explains all the new features of Android 4.0 for Xperia phones. The screenshot option is now a button combination instead of a menu item.

Old 28th April 2012, 11:05   #8816
Senior - BHPian

Just did some battery testing for my phone - Motorola Defy.
Battery is now at 10% after 3 days and 1 hour.
Usage:
---------------------------------
1 hour, 50 minutes of voice calls
Alarm in the morning.
30 minutes of music
---------------------------------
This is probably equivalent to an E-Series Nokia phone (I had E51 previously).
This shows that Android itself is not memory hungry.

If I continue I can expect 100 hours standby with 100 minutes talktime on a single charge.
Old 28th April 2012, 14:38   #8817
Distinguished - BHPian

After moving to the Samsung galaxy s2 , I was finding the battery life a little less compared to my earlier Nokia E72, so ordered a Samsung extended battery 2000 mah from Mobilefun.co.uk. My S2 is white and only the black extended battery kit was available in India. It cost me nearly 3700 including delivery and The product was delivered within 5 days. I would recommend this website to people looking for hard to find accessories.
So far been using for 2 days and looks like it should last 30% more. I am also using the Battery defender app which helps use reduce the consumption.
Any suggestions on good apps which other users can recommend?

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 28th April 2012, 15:04   #8818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
So far been using for 2 days and looks like it should last 30% more. I am also using the Battery defender app which helps use reduce the consumption.
Any suggestions on good apps which other users can recommend?

Regards,
Behemoth
For god's sake. You shouldn't have to do all of this battery management stuff with an extended battery.

There are two things:
a. Use a good ROM (S2 users can tell) - wajkIUI for defy is brilliant - i use about 60% in 13 hours. It is there for S2.
b. Install a ROM toolbox. It will manage alot of the apps that auto start (and youll be surprised) and eat your battery. e.g google maps which has never been used
Old 28th April 2012, 18:57   #8819
BANNED

@Parthasarthig; Kies is just a pain in the backside. Also, autostarts so is hogging your PC resources. Igot rid of Kies pronto. Since then I have also got rid of Samsungs - 551 and Epic 4G and switched to htc (Wildfire S and Incredible 2). Mind you their Sync though very small is still a pain. For accessing the internals it blocks/shields access, so the way is to install it (gets the drivers) and then remove sync. Let us accept our friends from Taiwan and Korea write lousy software, else they will take over the world. The Japanese have improved of late.
Old 28th April 2012, 19:33   #8820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
@Parthasarthig; Kies is just a pain in the backside. Also, autostarts so is hogging your PC resources. Igot rid of Kies pronto. Since then I have also got rid of Samsungs - 551 and Epic 4G and switched to htc (Wildfire S and Incredible 2). Mind you their Sync though very small is still a pain. For accessing the internals it blocks/shields access, so the way is to install it (gets the drivers) and then remove sync. Let us accept our friends from Taiwan and Korea write lousy software, else they will take over the world. The Japanese have improved of late.
I agree completely with that sir. And the problems with Kies are never ending.
However if you can sometime do try Kies air. Requires no installation just wifi on your laptop or pc. Easy to transfer files and folders. If you dont have wifi router also you can switch on the phone's hotspot feature and use this. Its pretty good.
Currently i am using Kies air since ive too removed kies for pc.
Htc devices and sense what a lovely combination yet one starts cursing with the difficulties in pc to phone syncing with these devices.
On a different "note", Just recently bought the galaxy note but my hunger for a better UI still remains. Note however is one heck of a phone.
Note+ ICS - samsung TouchWiz ≡ one of the best phones

Most Viewed