Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 09:02   #8926
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I am impressed by the new S III. Apart from hardware enhancement, there are new software features too which i like.

Some that stand out imho will be buddy share, s-health, s-voice, s-beam, gesture support, 20 shot burst mode, 50gb dropbox and pretty good photo sharing features.

I hope it looks good in hand. In photos it looks ok. Will have to wait till june till it comes out and then compare with One X.
+1. Also am happy that S3 has a notification LED too Probably by next phone will be this
Old 4th May 2012, 09:05   #8927
Senior - BHPian

I am using the S2, and I honestly dont think that the usage of plastics is a big negative to the phone. Yes, they could have used metal or more premium materials, but its not a show stopper. What disturbs me more is the phone heating up while talking or while running resource hungry apps.

Samsung surely has another winner in their hands in this power packed phone, and buyers will surely not regret it.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:13   #8928
BANNED

Any idea when S3 will be sold in india and what will be the approximate price?

Does it have all features of note? like wifi hotspot ect

Last edited by joshguy : 4th May 2012 at 09:34.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:21   #8929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You can try 2.4.20 and if it accesses the market, your job is done.
The battery performance is so good, I am most inclined to switch back to WIUI. But do I really have to disable proximity sensor, that is a pain. It switches off in 5 seconds even if there is nothing in proximity. Shouldn't this be a screen saver issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yup. 2.3.16 was the best WIUI IMO..but for want of better battery life, switched to CM7.2
What? And I want to switch from CM7.2 to WIUI for better battery life too.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th May 2012 at 09:23.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:57   #8930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Any idea when S3 will be sold in india and what will be the approximate price?

Does it have all features of note? like wifi hotspot ect
Yes it has most features of note and then many new ones too. It also has s-beam which uses wifi and nfc to transfer media files from one phone to another phone at very high speeds. I am sure it will have hotspot too.

My best bet would be june for release in India. This is same as what happened to S-II. It was launched on may 9 2011 and it came to India in June. So i would expect the same for S-III. S III goes on sale in major Europe markets on May 29th so i expect within a month it will come in India.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:09   #8931
BHPian

I was watching 'unpacking the S3' via live feed and was disappointed with the presentation and demo. I dont know if S2 unpacking was this drab and uninspiring, maybe Jobs I' presentations have spoilt me.

I am not overly excited about the S3 specs either; and of all the 'S' features, i liked the Smart Stay which I think will be really useful. I am still thinking the S2 will be a good-enough option for my usage (considering am using a poorly performing M110-S).
Old 4th May 2012, 10:10   #8932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The battery performance is so good, I am most inclined to switch back to WIUI. But do I really have to disable proximity sensor, that is a pain. It switches off in 5 seconds even if there is nothing in proximity. Shouldn't this be a screen saver issue?

Samurai,

Did you try my workaround or not? I told everyone very clearly earlier on that my proximity sensor had issues with WIUI: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2592899

CM7 worked almost 100% with my proximity sensor. The White Rabbit ROM was ideal but ate up battery.

I used that youtube link to correct the proximity sensor and now WIUI runs fine.

someone smart said - When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
Old 4th May 2012, 10:48   #8933
Senior - BHPian

Samsung Galaxy S III performance preview
AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S III Performance Preview: It's Fast
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5811/s...-s-iii-preview
Old 4th May 2012, 11:45   #8934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you try my workaround or not? I told everyone very clearly earlier on that my proximity sensor had issues with WIUI: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2592899
I didn't have to, I had switched to CM7.2 by the time I saw your message.

But now I have a new problem. The baseband switch utility is missing in my Defy now. So, I don't know what baseband it is on.

Quote:
someone smart said - When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
That was Sherlock Homes I think, who else talks like that.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:00   #8935
Senior - BHPian

Unlike opinions above, the S3 fails to impress me.
Old 4th May 2012, 13:17   #8936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
No linkie Sir, I think I got this off ROM Manager - Download ROM option

Details are: CM 7.2 RC1 -20120424- unofficial jordan, build date : April 24, 22:26:46 JST 2012, Build Number GWK74 Gigglebread, Kernel version 2.6.32.9-gb08c3c8 vfcj78@zch68lnxdroid50 # 1

And I run the V6 Supercharger Script by Zeppelinrox!

[Script-U9RC8.2]Be A Super User! Use The -=V6 SuperCharger=- Lag, Redraw & RAM Fixer! - xda-developers

Cheers
Hope this helps you Samurai Sharat

If you get the version I got, it gives great battery life and runs GB kernel as well. The only downside is the UI is not as smooth as WIUI..but
Old 4th May 2012, 13:36   #8937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I am not overly excited about the S3 specs either; and of all the 'S' features, i liked the Smart Stay which I think will be really useful. I am still thinking the S2 will be a good-enough option for my usage (considering am using a poorly performing M110-S).
Well Just like the iPhone 4S, it is more of a Galaxy S2S than S3 actually. More eye-candy software features than any real mind-blowing hardware upgrades. Theres very little to distinguish between S3 and Note actually!

G3 would be successful (riding on the S2 wave) but it might be more challenging this year. Last year Samsung had a free ride. This year competition is coming with some great devices, all of LG, HTC, Sony, Nokia have some great phones coming in the pipeline. S3 will not remain an android flagship for as long a time as S2 was.
Old 4th May 2012, 17:32   #8938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't have to, I had switched to CM7.2 by the time I saw your message.

But now I have a new problem. The baseband switch utility is missing in my Defy now. So, I don't know what baseband it is on.
Did you find it by now or not?

There are two ways:
a. Its hidden under settings - about phone - baseband switcher or something like that, or inside the defy parts app. check there
b. There is a new APK for it which is out. just install the APK. if you cant find it - call me and i'll email it across.
Old 4th May 2012, 17:41   #8939
Senior - BHPian

I had a chance to see the Studio 5.3 from BLU.
The phone looks like Samsung Note and for 14.5 K, is not a bad deal if you are OK with 5.3 inch screen.
It comes with 2.3.7 and there is rooting info on XDA.

Last edited by S_U_N : 4th May 2012 at 17:43.
Old 4th May 2012, 17:42   #8940
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are two ways:
a. Its hidden under settings - about phone - baseband switcher or something like that, or inside the defy parts app. check there
b. There is a new APK for it which is out. just install the APK. if you cant find it - call me and i'll email it across.
I was busy whole day... so didn't try anything.

But, after seeing this message I started looking. I found baseband selection under settings->Device settings. It was in some european band, changed it to India now.

Thanks a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks