Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 04:55   #8056
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
-Even with 8MP cam, the shooter doesn't seem so good. My Neo's 8MP shoots much much better in comparison, especially in low light.
-Not much support over net if you're kind of a ROM roaming person.
-Not as snappy as the SGS2 HW
Thanks. I was looking some comments on this phone.

Overall I hear Motorola HW being much more robust than others,
If one is just a use person rather than tinkering with the phone, how would you rate this
phone over Neo and the refreshed Galaxy series (Galaxy I with updated CPU, AMOLED, bigger RAM etc).

If it works nicely out of the box, I was thinking this would be more robust than others.
Any comments?
Old 6th March 2012, 08:30   #8057
Senior - BHPian

Any of you guys clean/wipe the dalvik often? I was having some apps non responsive at times, maps startup slow, and laggy operation etc. all such issues were solved after i wiped dalvik and restarted. Just figured that i never did so after restoring all my apps into the new ROM. Now phone feels much smoother...
Old 6th March 2012, 09:17   #8058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks. I was looking some comments on this phone.

Overall I hear Motorola HW being much more robust than others,
If one is just a use person rather than tinkering with the phone, how would you rate this
phone over Neo and the refreshed Galaxy series (Galaxy I with updated CPU, AMOLED, bigger RAM etc).

If it works nicely out of the box, I was thinking this would be more robust than others.
Any comments?
If you don't do much of tinkering I think Atrix 2 will be a good buy. Its better than Neo in all respects other than the camera part. I can get you two negatives of Atrix in this department.

1) It has a dedicated camera button, but not like the conventional 2 stage buttons used in most AF cameras including Neo. Its just a single stage button which will do both focusing and shooting.
2) Quality of shots, especially in low light is unacceptable.

If you're not a shutterbug, you can discard these two things. Being said that, I think Galaxy series is also not a master in this department.
Screen is no competition to AMOLED but its equally good. The most surprising part was that even at 4.3" it felt really comfortable to hold and to pocket it.

If you like a sturdy HW with an overall nice feel and excellent support for business users, yes go for it!!! With a 1Ghz Dual-Core and 1GB RAM, this will hopefully withstand another couple of years of Android evolution.

Resale will not be good as Moto is something which misses the WOW factor in this side of the world My friend with Atrix is still struggling to find a scratch guard while a Galaxy accessory can be found even in those foot path mobile stores.

If you have some more time before finalizing, I suggest wait a bit as I think the price may slash down and settle around 20K which seems to be a steal !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Any of you guys clean/wipe the dalvik often? I was having some apps non responsive at times, maps startup slow, and laggy operation etc. all such issues were solved after i wiped dalvik and restarted. Just figured that i never did so after restoring all my apps into the new ROM. Now phone feels much smoother...
I always do that while switching ROMs. Otherwise not. It cure most of FC issues too. Is cleaning cleaning dalvik suggested more often?

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2012 at 17:07. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 09:48   #8059
BHPian

Quote:
I always do that while switching ROMs. Otherwise not. It cure most of FC issues too. Is cleaning cleaning dalvik suggested more often?
I do it a little frequently (Once in 3-4 days). I have an app which takes care of cleaning cache on every reboot. Because I play around a lot with my handset, do a lot of kernel changes so my dalvik keeps getting cleaned.
Also there is a small script (I think the one I'm using is for samsung S2 only) which i run everytime i change my kernel, this script removes all the changes made by older kernel, there by providing a clean platform for new kernel installation.
Gadgetfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 09:52   #8060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you're not a shutterbug, you can discard these two things. Being said that, I think Galaxy series is also not a master in this department.
If the basic point and shoot feature is good enough, I would be OK.
I am not expecting much with low light and flash.

But the more important items are business/office related. If they are good,
then nothing like it.
Old 6th March 2012, 09:54   #8061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If the basic point and shoot feature is good enough, I would be OK.
I am not expecting much with low light and flash.

But the more important items are business/office related. If they are good,
then nothing like it.
You can't go wrong with business functionality of this device. It's stock email app is something I do miss in my Neo. Go for it
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 14:26   #8062
BHPian

Quote:
If you don't do much of tinkering I think Atrix 2 will be a good buy. Its better than Neo in all respects other than the camera part. I can get you two negatives of Atrix in this department.

1) It has a dedicated camera button, but not like the conventional 2 stage buttons used in most AF cameras including Neo. Its just a single stage button which will do both focusing and shooting.
2) Quality of shots, especially in low light is unacceptable.

Screen is no competition to AMOLED but its equally good. The most surprising part was that even at 4.3" it felt really comfortable to hold and to pocket it.

If you like a sturdy HW with an overall nice feel and excellent support for business users, yes go for it!!! With a 1Ghz Dual-Core and 1GB RAM, this will hopefully withstand another couple of years of Android evolution.

Resale will not be good as Moto is something which misses the WOW factor in this side of the world My friend with Atrix is still struggling to find a scratch guard while a Galaxy accessory can be found even in those foot path mobile stores.

If you have some more time before finalizing, I suggest wait a bit as I think the price may slash down and settle around 20K which seems to be a steal !!!
I had used the Atrix last year. I could live with the average cam, specs, usability and locked bootloader, but the pathetic battery life ensured that the device did not complete even 7-8hrs of mild usage. Disposed it off after 3 weeks.

Not sure if the Atrix2 inherits any of these!

Last edited by xotiq : 6th March 2012 at 14:27.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:36   #8063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More than Delvik the cache clearning helps in clearing the services based cache while installing roms.

Today morning i went back to GB from ICS on Note after hearing more news on bricking the device.

Had some problems loading the first screen. The touch screen was appearing but some of the services were crashing.

Cleared the cache and everything went fine.

Now kies can recognize my device and already has a request for firmware upgrade from KL3. GOing to do that till i move to ICS once a stable rom and kernal are released.

Missing ICS for sure as the operations were far more smoother and fresher if i can say that word.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:06   #8064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
I had used the Atrix last year. I could live with the average cam, specs, usability and locked bootloader, but the pathetic battery life ensured that the device did not complete even 7-8hrs of mild usage. Disposed it off after 3 weeks.

Not sure if the Atrix2 inherits any of these!
Atrix 2 seems to be much better in this aspect. My friend confirmed he is getting an average 1-1.25 days with full time data, exchange sync, some gaming and wifi for around 3-4 hours per day

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 6th March 2012 at 15:08.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:17   #8065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
I do it a little frequently (Once in 3-4 days). I have an app which takes care of cleaning cache on every reboot.
Dalvik Cache and Cache are different

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
More than Delvik the cache clearning helps in clearing the services based cache while installing roms.
Wiping Dalvik while installing a new ROM is recommended and I always do that. My point was different.

After installing a new ROM, we usually restore apps from Titanium backup or any other backup mechanism one by one. As every app gets installed, the Dalvik cache is built incrementally. I was running my phone like that and started seeing some sporadic issues.

Then I went ahead and wiped Dalvik again - on next reboot, phone will automatically create a fresh Dalvik cache for all the apps installed in the phone. Since I was not seeing any not responding apps and Maps load pretty faster and smoother, I think recreating Dalvik had a positive effect. Plan to do this once in a while.

BTW, My Dalvik cache, cache and apps (except system apps) are in an ext3 partition in SD card.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th March 2012 at 15:19.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:20   #8066
BHPian

Quote:
Dalvik Cache and Cache are different

Hi Clevermax,

I know they both are different. And i meant normal cache only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
After installing a new ROM, we usually restore apps from Titanium backup or any other backup mechanism one by one.
Just deviating from the topic. I'm sure many users would be using Titanium backup to take backups of your data before flashing a new ROM. What step's are you following to do that?

Last edited by Gadgetfreak : 6th March 2012 at 15:26.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:43   #8067
BHPian

Quote:
If you don't do much of tinkering I think Atrix 2 will be a good buy.
How do you rate the browsing capabilities of Atrix 2 over Neo and other dual core phones ?
Old 6th March 2012, 15:57   #8068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Quote:
Just deviating from the topic. I'm sure many users would be using Titanium backup to take backups of your data before flashing a new ROM. What step's are you following to do that?
My workflow is pretty simple - I run a batch back up of all user apps from old ROM. Then in new ROM, I run a selective batch restore of the apps I want. If you are migrating from a GB ROM to another GB one, there won't be any issues with this kind of restore.

I also back up all my SMS and call history with Ritesh Sahu's apps from market. Restoring the call history is such a nice thing!

All the contacts are also backed up in myPhoneExplorer in PC, just in case. After Google sync is set up in the new ROM, they appear anyway.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th March 2012 at 16:01.
Old 6th March 2012, 16:01   #8069
BHPian

Usually correct way of Titanium backup is given below. This is not written by me but followed by me.

Please note this is for the Pro version of titanium backup, the free version is limited and your backups and restores are not guaranteed on the free version.

In Titanium Backup hit the backup/restore tab, then press menu, then batch.

Scroll to backup all user apps and hit the RUN button, to start backing up your apps, when finished go back to backup/restore.

Here in the list you will see your apps that have been backed up and the files that haven't, the files that haven't are the system files, now you only need from these files your personal data and few titanium backup files which i'll name below.

Accounts and sync settings - highlighted in RED
Contact's
Sms/mms/apn settings