Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2012, 13:54   #7921
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I had reservations about MIUI and its various clones initially, but after experiencing WIUI and PIKACHU, my opinion on the option seems to be impressive.

CM7 on the other hand has very good tweaks such as Night Hours and CPU settings that MIUI does not have.
Old 25th February 2012, 14:00   #7922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I had reservations about MIUI and its various clones initially, but after experiencing WIUI and PIKACHU, my opinion on the option seems to be impressive.
CM7 on the other hand has very good tweaks such as Night Hours and CPU settings that MIUI does not have.
MIUI is not as snappy as CM7. The scrolling has to improve. But the ROM is feature rich. Checking out some mods on MIUI.

Night settings etc, can be done using Llama so its not an issue - all I had to do was to restore that app to MIUI and it works perfect. CPU settings anyway is done through SetCPU.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:03   #7923
BHPian

I experienced my first mobile freeze on my SGS2. I activated Bluetooth and paired it with my laptop and the phone just froze. I removed the battery to restore the phone. I hope this does not happen a lot.

I need to ask a few things. Today I was trying to transfer some files from my phone to my laptop and vice-versa. I connected my phone to my laptop – copied the files from the PC and just pasted them in any folder. I disconnected the phone, opened My files and I was able to see the videos. This was for transferring stuff from my laptop to my phone.

But I also wanted to transfer some videos from my phone to my laptop. When I connected by phone by USB I opened the phone folder and was able to see all the folders which I see when I open MY FILES on my phone. But I did not find the videos I wanted to transfer to my phone. Transferring by Bluetooth is very slow and I need to transfer a lot of video files. Can someone please tell me how to transfer videos taken from phone camera to your PC??Note that I have not installed KIES on my laptop.

Also the videos I transferred from my laptop to phone - I copy pasted them in the "External SD card" folder. But when I open the VIDEOS application the transferred videos are not visible. I can always go to the "External SD card" folder to view the videos but I would like the files to be visible when opened through VIDEOS too.

Last edited by Saanil : 25th February 2012 at 15:06.
Old 25th February 2012, 16:06   #7924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I experienced my first mobile freeze on my SGS2. I activated Bluetooth and paired it with my laptop and the phone just froze. I removed the battery to restore the phone. I hope this does not happen a lot.

This is strange/rare but then it does happen sometimes when you are doing many multitasking which is eating lot of memory. But not a regular feature. Are you running a custom ROM?

I need to ask a few things. Today I was trying to transfer some files from my phone to my laptop and vice-versa. I connected my phone to my laptop – copied the files from the PC and just pasted them in any folder. I disconnected the phone, opened My files and I was able to see the videos. This was for transferring stuff from my laptop to my phone.

But I also wanted to transfer some videos from my phone to my laptop. When I connected by phone by USB I opened the phone folder and was able to see all the folders which I see when I open MY FILES on my phone. But I did not find the videos I wanted to transfer to my phone. Transferring by Bluetooth is very slow and I need to transfer a lot of video files. Can someone please tell me how to transfer videos taken from phone camera to your PC??Note that I have not installed KIES on my laptop.

Videos are usually stored in /sdcard/media/videos folder. You can use data cable as it is the easiest and fastest way.

Also the videos I transferred from my laptop to phone - I copy pasted them in the "External SD card" folder. But when I open the VIDEOS application the transferred videos are not visible. I can always go to the "External SD card" folder to view the videos but I would like the files to be visible when opened through VIDEOS too.
Try Copying these videos in /media/videos folder in either external or internal sd card and then check if they are visible or not.
Old 25th February 2012, 16:23   #7925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

Follow these steps : Settings-Wireless and network-USB settings-Choose mass storage. Now whenever you connect your phone to any computer, your phone will ask your permission to connect storage. Once you give the permission and connect your phone to the computer, your phone will act like any pen drive. You can copy/paste any files anywhere. Now you must be able to see your videos.

To solve the last issue, do not paste anything in external sd card folder. Just create a folder where all folders are created.

Hope this helps.
Old 25th February 2012, 17:10   #7926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Try Copying these videos in /media/videos folder in either external or internal sd card and then check if they are visible or not.
Thanks but in the Media folder currently there is just one audio folder. I think I need to create one more folder named videos and then transfer all videos to that folder. I am using stock ROM only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post
Follow these steps : Settings-Wireless and network-USB settings-Choose mass storage. Now whenever you connect your phone to any computer, your phone will ask your permission to connect storage. Once you give the permission and connect your phone to the computer, your phone will act like any pen drive. You can copy/paste any files anywhere. Now you must be able to see your videos.

To solve the last issue, do not paste anything in external sd card folder. Just create a folder where all folders are created
I guess I was not clear while writing my query. I will try to explain again: So I took some videos with my camera at a party and now want to see the videos on my laptop. Now when I connect my phone to the laptop I see all the folders on my laptop but I do not see those video files. I know its just a copy paste job but to copy you should be able to see the video right? I mean where are the videos taken by camera stored? (I mean in which folder – media?Bluetooth?). In the sdcard>Media folder I just have an audio folder but no Video folder.
Old 25th February 2012, 17:14   #7927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Thanks but in the Media folder currently there is just one audio folder. I think I need to create one more folder named videos and then transfer all videos to that folder. I am using stock ROM only.

I guess I was not clear while writing my query. I will try to explain again: So I took some videos with my camera at a party and now want to see the videos on my laptop. Now when I connect my phone to the laptop I see all the folders on my laptop but I do not see those video files. I know its just a copy paste job but to copy you should be able to see the video right? I mean where are the videos taken by camera stored? (I mean in which folder – media?Bluetooth?). In the sdcard>Media folder I just have an audio folder but no Video folder.

Ok. The videos recorded are stored in sdcard/dcim/camera folders.
Old 25th February 2012, 17:18   #7928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

I mean where are the videos taken by camera stored? (I mean in which folder – media?Bluetooth?). In the sdcard>Media folder I just have an audio folder but no Video folder.
Is there any folder names DCIM under your SD card? This is where my camera videos are saved by default. again I use Motorola, but think the path should be same as its Android. Else simply connect the SD card for mass storage & search for .mp4 etc files, it will give away the default path.
Old 25th February 2012, 23:57   #7929
Senior - BHPian

HTC Page on Faceboook says:

"This Sunday you will experience something amazing"

Any clue? ICS Sense ROMs?
Old 26th February 2012, 00:14   #7930

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
HTC Page on Faceboook says:

"This Sunday you will experience something amazing"

Any clue? ICS Sense ROMs?
Maybe. But I'm guessing its the release of their new phones for 2012.
Old 26th February 2012, 01:38   #7931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
MIUI is not as snappy as CM7. The scrolling has to improve. But the ROM is feature rich. Checking out some mods on MIUI.

Night settings etc, can be done using Llama so its not an issue - all I had to do was to restore that app to MIUI and it works perfect. CPU settings anyway is done through SetCPU.
Donno but on defy, esp the WajkIUI - there is zero lag, zero un-snappiness.

Infact, it is pure awesomeness - snappiness meets MIUI eye candy meets some interesting apps. even otherwise MIUI was decent enough IIRC.

in defy, CPU settings are enabled through the bootmenu. setvsel (setCPU equivalent) use is deprecated!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 18:55   #7932
BHPian

Almost one and a half year since I've used the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro and now willing to go for another Android device. This time I want to do a through research and buy the best hardware. My requirements are as follows:

(1) Powerful hardware
(2) Medium sized screen (greater than Xperia Mini Pro but lesser than the current Samsung Galaxy)
(3) Definitely good battery life. My colleague uses a Samsung Galaxy and finds it often Problem with the battery life

Please suggest me a good device.
Old 26th February 2012, 19:12   #7933

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
Almost one and a half year since I've used the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro and now willing to go for another Android device. This time I want to do a through research and buy the best hardware. My requirements are as follows:

(1) Powerful hardware
(2) Medium sized screen (greater than Xperia Mini Pro but lesser than the current Samsung Galaxy)
(3) Definitely good battery life. My colleague uses a Samsung Galaxy and finds it often Problem with the battery life

Please suggest me a good device.
Rule no. 1, don't expect too much from battery of any smartphone. It all depends on how much and how you use your phone.

Said that, powerful hardware usually comes with big screens. 4.3 inch if a norm these days.

If you specify your budget, then we will be able to help you with specific models
Old 26th February 2012, 20:10   #7934
BHPian

I do not have any budget in mind. Most of th mobile phones here are given with a contract and the cost of the phone will be minimal.

It is very true that the battery life is not so good with smart phones, but I guess with a minimal screen size, the battery life should also increase. I would mostly opt for a 3.7" screen size. Any devices in that size range?
Old 26th February 2012, 20:56   #7935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I'd also ask you to check out Google Maps with world wide navigation enabled to see if that suits your needs. It is free but it needs data for driving directions calculation. You can have the maps offline in that too. I find it very useful and in fact better than some of the paid navigation maps. Google maps contain lots of detail that others still need to catch up with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Thad Sir, your best bet would be to install Brut Maps (modded Google Maps) with navigation option enabled for India. That way you get the best maps and navigation for free.
Getting there. Have followed the links to the necessary advice for rooting my Defy+ and installed Titanium Backup.

Will now be able to move on to the next steps in installing the navigation-enabled Maps.

I'm very pleased, generally, with the phone so far. Not that it is something I actually do very much but ...it even makes phone calls!

Here's another Dumb beginner's Questionabout buying apps from Android Market. I'm not enthusiastic about trusting financial transactions, banking/card details, etc to Google. I guess the thing is run by Google, and I have no choice?

Klub Class, it is great to hear of your expertise and achievements. Respect... from someone who hasn't been a teenager for decades

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th February 2012 at 20:58.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed