Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 05:53   #7891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter

Same here. I have been on 2.3.6 for over a month now and it is much better than 2.3.3. The battery life has increased a lot compared to earlier too.
I've tried atleast 7 times to update from 2.3.3 to 2.3.6 but kies stops working somewhere in late 40s.How have you guys managed to do it?I find kies to be a pathetic software.Moreover i dont know anything about rooting or the KL1 or whatever build you guys talk about. :-P Can someone please explain with a screenshot?I'm using Samsung GSII.
Old 24th February 2012, 07:10   #7892
KRN
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I am looking for a phone in the 15k range to replace my 1.5 year old HTC wildfire. Requirements are as follows:

1. Ice cream sandwich update is a must
2. 3.7 to 4 inch screen at least
3. Decent camera
4. Good support for emails (outlook)
5. I will NOT be rooting the phone
6. Decent battery life

I have short listed Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V (13.9k on ebay) and the Nexus S (LCD version available for $350 from US). Nexus S looks attractive from the perspective of bigger screen and official updates from Google. While I like Sony for their beautiful phones, camera, UI, good price (eBay) and Facebook integration.

I am a bit worried about the battery on the nexus. If it is too close to call, I will go for the Sony. Any suggestions?

Can anyone who bought the Sony Ericsson Neo V on eBay confirm which country the phones are imported from and if there is any indication on which market those phones are for?
Old 24th February 2012, 09:34   #7893
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
From now on every phone from sony will come with a rootkit which will log your every move, and send it to sony. Removal of this will brick the phone

I guess, after rootkitting CD buyers, sony needs to nuke its phone buyers!
youre joking, right?
I mean, CD's ok, I understand the problem.
But what additional/leaked revenue would sony get from a sold phone?
Just to deny warranties?
Old 24th February 2012, 09:50   #7894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
A noob question here.

I upgraded my Galaxy S2 to XWKL1 2.3.6 (officially through KIES), which turned out to be the worst decision ever! My phone has become very unstable and apps crash now and then. The phone reboots on its own. Now, I wish to revert it to back to my old firmware (2.3.3). Is it possible?

Also, I have rooted my phone. Can it help in reverting back to 2.3.3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
youre joking, right?
Just to deny warranties?

We are in an open source age and if such a move will be made by sony then the impact would be lesser sales and also competitors would gain in a big way.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:18   #7895
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
youre joking, right?
Just to deny warranties?
My post was jest, but only half of it. Location based, and usage based advertising is a big thing now. So your smartphone is already serving you targetted advertisements, and making money for the software makers even after it has been sold
and this is true for most smartphones.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 10:26   #7896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I've tried atleast 7 times to update from 2.3.3 to 2.3.6 but kies stops working somewhere in late 40s.How have you guys managed to do it?I find kies to be a pathetic software.Moreover i dont know anything about rooting or the KL1 or whatever build you guys talk about. :-P Can someone please explain with a screenshot?I'm using Samsung GSII.
I also had a hell of an experience trying to update from KIES. Then, one fine day, it just worked fine within minutes. I agree with you, KIES is pathetic.

XWKL1 is the code (based on region and other things) for 2.3.6 and I believe the current one you are having is XWKF3 which is 2.3.3. The same can be seen in the Settings > About Phone in your S2.

Rooting is nothing but gaining root access to your system so that you can have freedom to play around with custom ROMs or tweak your phone as per your wish.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 24th February 2012 at 10:28.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:32   #7897
BHPian

Quote:
I also had a hell of an experience trying to update from KIES. Then, one fine day, it just worked fine within minutes. I agree with you, KIES is pathetic.

XWKL1 is the code (based on region and other things) for 2.3.6 and I believe the current one you are having is XWKF3 which is 2.3.3. The same can be seen in the Settings > About Phone in your S2.

Rooting is nothing but gaining root access to your system so that you can have freedom to play around with custom ROMs or tweak your phone as per your wish.

Wow _raVan_, you gained quite a good knowledge about rooting. So at last which rom did you install and which kernel are you using?
Old 24th February 2012, 10:45   #7898
BHPian

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why do SII users need Kies to upgrade to a new firmware? Don't you get OTA updates that the phone itself upgrades itself?
Old 24th February 2012, 10:47   #7899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do SII users need Kies to upgrade to a new firmware? Don't you get OTA updates that the phone itself upgrades itself?
OTA doesnt work for S2 Samsung provided desktop KIES software to do the same.

For 2.3.6, I see some options in the Software Update settings of the phone. Dont know if it will work.
Old 24th February 2012, 11:34   #7900
Senior - BHPian

^
Correction: OTA does NOT work for 'Indian' S2. For most other S2's procured from abroad (like my D710), the OTA works perfectly over Wifi and data.
Old 24th February 2012, 11:39   #7901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

Naveen, once you're done flashing a custom ROM on your LG O1, please do let me know your inputs on the ROM you flashed.
Yup, done installing CM7. Installed one of their latest nightly builds. Looks stable, looks better. Only thing was you have to install GAPPS - flash it in fact cause Google Apps are not bundled with CM7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
CM7 is the best ROM for the LgP500. Period. Go for it.
Thanks. Installed it. Updates will come as I check out battery life etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Have used Oxygen for a short while and CM7 extensively. Oxygen is not as smooth as CM7.

I don't know where you can find a stable CM7 for P500 but I guess Klub Class can help you.
Hehe, Klub Class was asking me what I was planning to install. Love CM7 so far. Will update as I go...
Old 24th February 2012, 11:41   #7902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Should work , yesterday 76MB OTA happned on my Note using WiFi and BSNL boradband , Usually OTA works fine if done using WiFi and there is no reset by service provider during large data transfer. Also keep the charger plugged in.
Also I got to know from some friends ( Hearsay ) that it failed on Airtel broadband.

PS : Indian S2 is open market Galaxy S2 so if there are no complaints from other open markets there is no reason for it to fail in India.

One more input , Kies Air is good for transferring bulk data from PC but it works with Firefox and Java plug-in installed.
If you try with internt explorer the browser appelet takes one file at a time from PC rather then bulk transfer.

Last edited by amitk26 : 24th February 2012 at 11:45.
Old 24th February 2012, 11:44   #7903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
Correction: OTA does NOT work for 'Indian' S2. For most other S2's procured from abroad (like my D710), the OTA works perfectly over Wifi and data.
Do both Wave and Galaxy series use the same KIES? I have a Wave 1 and have KIES installed on my laptop. My father has a SGS2 and doesn't have it installed on his. Can I update his phone from my machine without installing another copy on his machine (and vice versa)?

Also, why backing up is required on SGS2? I had updated my Wave firmware over KIES twice and didn't lose any data.
Old 24th February 2012, 11:51   #7904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Should work , yesterday 76MB OTA happned on my Note using WiFi and BSNL boradband
Yeah i also did the OTA update on my Note using wifi yesterday..but did you notice any significant changes apart from the new keyboard?
Old 24th February 2012, 11:55   #7905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
4. Good support for emails (outlook)

I have short listed Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V (13.9k on ebay)

Can anyone who bought the Sony Ericsson Neo V on eBay confirm which country the phones are imported from and if there is any indication on which market those phones are for?
I am using Xperia Neo (big brother of Neo V. 8MP vs 5MP of Neo V) bought from eBay. If you are OK with dealer/seller warrantly, Neo is the best bet compared to Neo V. Also, the seller from whom I purchased, provided a "seal" packed phone. My comments on your requirements are as follows.

1) Outlook integration

a) Outlook can be integrated via EAS support in Neo/Neo V. Syncing mail, calendar and contacts are supported.
b) Stock email app has some limitations. For e.g. it can't sync subfolders, cannot open eml attachments (eml attachments will be used by Exchange server for forwarding mails from mobile device). Also, HTML support on Exchange 2003 is limited.
c) I use a 3rd party app called Enhanced Email from market. Its a neat app with subfolder sync, optional disabling of smart forward (mail will be forwarded in the conventional manner than as .eml attachments).

2) Markets

As for Neo, different sellers sell different variations of the same model. For e.g. we bought 8 Neos in our company from different sellers. I bought from a Chennai based seller. Phone was seal packed and model was MT15i (international variant) while some others got MT15a (US model). While both are same in all respect, MT15a will have US base bands. So, getting MT15i is a safer play with respect to network compatibility in India. I think the same will be applicable for Neo V also. All the phones were labelled, "Made in China".

3) Battery life

All the phones we purchased had moderate battery life, averaging about 1.5 days depending on usage. All phones were having data enabled 24/7 for corporate sync. But, in the course of time battery life improved after a calibration and I am currently getting 2 days+ with 24/7 data. Screen shot attached for your reference. When the screenshot was taken, the phone still had 13% left. My usage statistics on this charging cycle is as follows.

1) 2 hrs voice call
2) Full time data ON
3) GPS used for 2 hours
4) WiFi for some 1 or 2 hr
5) Full time corporate sync in Push mode
6) Facebook updates

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120224_0616.png
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed