Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2012, 19:47   #7741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi

I've claimed US warranties in India previously (you just have to be firm about it).

Neo V looks good too except for very low internal memory, just 200mb available to user. That's a deal breaker for me. I don't really want to flash custom ROMs etc but still want lots of apps/customizations installed on my phone (my poor XCD35 right now has 100+ apps installed).

It's back to Galaxy SL vs Nexus S with Nexus leading.
Hi Gandhi,

I have suggested in post above that why don't you look at HTC inspire 4g. Its a Betty nice phone in your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327
Guys need some help. A friend of mine is looking for a android mobile with a budget of around 22 to a max 25k. Needs a minimum of 4 inch screen and a good dev support. (No LG for some apparent reason)

PS: Personally i use a HTC explorer. Cant be of any help to him wrt dev and stuff.
Hi,

Buddy if the budget can be stretched a little then he can buy SGS2 which as on date is one of the best phone. Great screen excellent specs.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th February 2012 at 21:43. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 12:12   #7742
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2012 at 12:44.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:02   #7743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Hi,

Buddy if the budget can be stretched a little then he can buy SGS2 which as on date is one of the best phone. Great screen excellent specs.
No the ideal budget is around 22 and max if need be is a strict 25k. So no S2 for sure.
With Galaxy R gone, Galaxy S plus is a serious contender. ICS update and dev support is the only concern.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:24   #7744
Senior - BHPian

General questions about Android phones:

What measures are you taking to ensure that your online accounts are not compromised if your phone is lost?

As is the case with most users, we allow automatic login to Facebook, Gmail etc, hence these accounts will get compromised if the phone is lost.
1. Do you use automatic logon?
2. Do you use screen/ pattern unlock?
3. Do you use PIN for unlocking the SIM
4. Do you use a boot password?
5. Do you use any Android app for encryption?
6. Something else?

Please share your opinions or inputs.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:53   #7745
Senior - BHPian

I use theft aware. Paid around 200 bucks and it works very well. Check Theft aware in market for review and feedback.

I have sim locked,
App protection on mails,
and Theft aware.

Theft aware alerts when a new sim is inserted as well as lets to erase everything remotely.

Tried it and it works provided the crook just replaces the sim and doest do R&D to make the theft aware useless.
Old 13th February 2012, 14:10   #7746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

What measures are you taking to ensure that your online accounts are not compromised if your phone is lost?

As is the case with most users, we allow automatic login to Facebook, Gmail etc, hence these accounts will get compromised if the phone is lost.
6. Something else?

I am using AVG Free version on my Neo. It has anti theft features which will alert me through mail if the SIM card is changed along with the last known location data. It also allows me to remote wipe all details on my phone. Also there are numerous paid apps which provide such features Along with that, since my corporate account is configured on this device, there is a 5 minute PIN based screen lock also. 4 Successive wrong inputs will wipe entire data. So I am OK with the basic protection provided by AVG. Hope this helps
Old 13th February 2012, 15:51   #7747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N

6. Something else?

Avast Anti-theft. It's free. And is hard reset proof on rooted devices.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:12   #7748
BHPian

Finally decided on the Neo V. Mainly because of planned upgrade to ICS and HDMI out. Did all the calculations based on my current usage and the low internal memory shouldn't be that big a problem.

I ordered it from buytheprice.com for 16700/-. Now eagerly waiting for the same.
Old 15th February 2012, 16:27   #7749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Finally decided on the Neo V. Mainly because of planned upgrade to ICS and HDMI out. Did all the calculations based on my current usage and the low internal memory shouldn't be that big a problem.

I ordered it from buytheprice.com for 16700/-. Now eagerly waiting for the same.
Congrats and welcome to Xperia family Regarding the pricing, have you checked all other sources. I am seeing Neo V listings from around 14K on eBay.
Old 15th February 2012, 17:19   #7750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Congrats and welcome to Xperia family Regarding the pricing, have you checked all other sources. I am seeing Neo V listings from around 14K on eBay.
Yes I did but I didn't want to take chances. All the listings on ebay gives only vendor warranty and no manufacturer warranty. Also they say that they check the handset before shipping so it will not arrive in a sealed box. That sounds fishy to me, so I decided to play safe.
Old 15th February 2012, 19:49   #7751
Senior - BHPian

Heyy guys!!

Have you ever noticed that the latest flagship phone featured on SE Website is branded as SONY instead of SE.

Got the following mailer from Sony Ericsson regarding the same. What do you guys have to say about it?

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-se.png
*Subject to regulatory approval

And here's peek into the first SONY branded Xperia S. Looks quite promising!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-sonyxperias1.jpg

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 15th February 2012 at 19:53.
Old 15th February 2012, 22:19   #7752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Heyy guys!!

Have you ever noticed that the latest flagship phone featured on SE Website is branded as SONY instead of SE.

Got the following mailer from Sony Ericsson regarding the same. What do you guys have to say about it?
Its simple. Ericsson is exiting this business (as its a losing business. only apple, htc and samsung made any money in this business this year.) Ericsson is world leader on the network side and they want to concentrate more on that.

Sony would also be focussed only on high end (read smartphones) phones now. They will stop making feature phones.

I think it is a good development.

Last edited by joslicx : 15th February 2012 at 22:20.
Old 15th February 2012, 23:40   #7753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

Its simple. Ericsson is exiting this business (as its a losing business. only apple, htc and samsung made any money in this business this year.) Ericsson is world leader on the network side and they want to concentrate more on that.

Sony would also be focussed only on high end (read smartphones) phones now. They will stop making feature phones.

I think it is a good development.
Yup.
This has been out for sometime now.
Now there'll be more of Sony's design philosophy.
And man does the xperia above look good!
Old 16th February 2012, 07:44   #7754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I use theft aware. Paid around 200 bucks and it works very well. Check Theft aware in market for review and feedback.

Theft aware alerts when a new sim is inserted as well as lets to erase everything remotely.

Tried it and it works provided the crook just replaces the sim and doest do R&D to make the theft aware useless.
Guys,

Stop agonizing over this - just be ready to be able to lock out all your accounts quickly.

Theft aware is crap. There - I said it. The worst 200-300 you will ever spend.

I had only posted about it and raved etc. But the fact is that while it does have clever programming to survive a factory reset - it does not survive flashing a new ROM. And to me, that is #fail.

PS: I bought the multi-SIM version but i havent bothered to reinstall it after i figured out its limitations about 3+ months back
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 11:43   #7755
BHPian

Samsung nexus

When is the samsung nexus launching in India? Any idea about this guys? The last i hear was it was coming in the last week of Feb.

Most Viewed