Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:10   #9241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Good news for GALAXY NOTE Users

Samsung has officially released Android 4.0 for the Note in India. Just updated my phone OTA.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 23rd May 2012 at 18:14.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:03   #9242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l
hello all,

I thought i should share some experience about my defy+ till date.

Thanks a lot to all who gave in their good words about this wonderful fone. Touch wood so far i have not faced any reboot issues or any other issues whatsoever.

I have not done any modification in terms of custom rom or rooting on my fone and have been using it as it was out of the box. Just added my email accounts, twitter etc and things have been going great. In the initial days i used to get battery life for one day due to constant play around with the new fone. But since things are settled now i get amazing battery out of this fone. I do a full charge on day 1 morning before leaving for work and that charge lasts me till about 17:00-18:00 day 2 evening.

My useage pattern

1. Push email x 2 (Gmail & Work ID) on 24/7
2. avg 1-1.5 hrs of calling per working day
3. tbhp app ( placed on home screen)
4. VERY VERY little gaming. only 2 games installed. Angry Birds and Temple Run
5. Screen resolution kept to Automatic
6. Vibration OFF
7. Whatsapp is always buzzing so i have switched off the alert tones. (heavy whatsapp user)
8. I use data on EDGE and when i need to do some heavy application / internet work i use wifi.
9. Removed the FB app; i figured out that it was a main culprit for draining the battery.

My fone was full charged yesterday morning and its 16:46 as i am typing this and the battery level shown is @ 30% still.

I do not intend to root or use any sort of custom roms on this as i am very happy the way it is.

Now coming to the DEFY+ factor. tested scratching the screen with a fork and also accidentally dropped the fone in mud and had to wash it after. All working absolutely fine.
Congrats & thanks for sharing your experiance. This the best rugged smartphone one can buy. Many others tried to copy, like one concept from Sammy & one from Sony Eric. Did not work out. Defy still is the ONE.

Enjoy the same for a much as you can. Just do not try to prove its proof ness deliberately
BTW, after a year or so I don't think its still as waterproof as new, coz now my Defy's USB cover is kinda lose than earlier. Just a word of caution.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:09   #9243
BHPian

Any feedback from people who picked up the Sony Xperia U ?
Sony Xperia U: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com
Old 24th May 2012, 10:54   #9244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh, thanks, I never understood that.

I don't have a data plan as such, just a prepaid Aircel connection which is 3G (actually, I don't make many calls at all) and, yes, I've noticed that data is very expensive indeed. I only use it occasionally, so not too fussed --- but is it cheaper to say use 2G only?

sorry, this is more a general telecoms question than an android question
Yes it is definitely cheaper to use 2G generally. But operators do have some good offers/tariffs on 3G. It is better to go for a preset plan than ad hoc usage. Also, 3G network is heavier on your battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

Samsung has officially released Android 4.0 for the Note in India. Just updated my phone OTA.
Thanks for this! Just updated my NOTE to 4.0.3! Initial impressions are nice! Looks and feels good and the general colour scheme/theme is a bright orange on black! Data counter is a big advantage! Browser is improved and feels nice too
Old 24th May 2012, 11:01   #9245
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am facing a very silly problem with the Explorer. Everytime I turn on the bluetooth I also have to tick the box to make my phone 'discoverable'. Not only this. The phone remains discoverable for only 120 seconds. How do I make it permanently discoverable ?
Old 24th May 2012, 11:06   #9246
Team-BHP Support

I got the ICS update via Kies.
The phone is much faster now, thanks to dual core support of the kernel.,
however, I ran into the kernel wakelock fuel_alerted issue.

Powered of the phone, and then removed battery. Put it back in, restarted, and phone is now going to deep sleep.
With samsung releasing the Galaxy note source code, custom kernels should have fixes for both the Locationfinder as well as fuel_alerted bugs.
That will be the time I will move to a custom kernel
Old 24th May 2012, 11:06   #9247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I am facing a very silly problem with the Explorer. Everytime I turn on the bluetooth I also have to tick the box to make my phone 'discoverable'. Not only this. The phone remains discoverable for only 120 seconds. How do I make it permanently discoverable ?
This is a default android feature. You cannot make it permanently discoverable. On the plus side, once a particular device pairs with yours, you need not make your device discoverable to exchange data with that paired device. You'd just have to switch bluetooth on!
Old 24th May 2012, 12:39   #9248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Thats the default for stock android OS. Permanent discoverable is possible in rooted device only. (read Custom ROMs).

BTW, Try on XDA if there is any trick available for explorer.
Old 24th May 2012, 19:12   #9249
BANNED

Hi All,

May be OT, but need some mail contacts for motorola india to escalate issues with my Defy. All i have is "'info.in@motorola.com'". I didnt get any reply even after 7 days.

My defy was under warrenty and its touch screen conked off. After 25 days, they gave me replacement of screen, But when i received handset, i was shocked to see following problems.

1. There were 2/3 DEEP Grooves in handset body – just on periphery of touch pad. It was certainly not there when I gave it to service centre. It seems , grooves happened during touch pad replacement. Some sharp object inserted to remove old screen.
2. There is noticeable gap on left hand side between screen and body. On top of it, some white stuff is visible in the big gap. New screen placed is not properly aligned.
3. Under screen white patches and finger prints were visible.

This is clear example of shabby workmanship and worst service job. Any customer will not accept this. I have showed all these faults to attendant Raj out there. I didn’t take delivery of handset. Mr Raj told me that he will take pics all these faults and send it to over mail to concerned for further action.
No movement till then :-(.

Here are couple of pics

Please help with any seniors of motorola / complaints / escalations. (Mail and mobile)
I have asked for replacement or change of body without any further delay.

@ Mod: Pls let me know if i need to open thred for this

Pics might not be very clear as taken from mobile.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img007.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img002.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img003.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img004.jpg  

Last edited by idea : 24th May 2012 at 19:16.
Old 25th May 2012, 02:15   #9250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

I've upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 too. Noticed very good improvement in the S-Pen accuracy (earlier in Gingerbread 2.3, the S-Pen tip and the line appearing as you write/draw were not aligned, now the writings appear directly below the tip and its much more responsive and with more fluidity while writing.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th May 2012 at 02:16.
Old 25th May 2012, 03:01   #9251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Galaxy S III cometh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Got the below message on Facebook yesterday from Saholic:
Saholic.com
How good is this website? Have you had any purchase experience with this website? The prices are good.
Old 25th May 2012, 04:12   #9252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
This is a default android feature. You cannot make it permanently discoverable. On the plus side, once a particular device pairs with yours, you need not make your device discoverable to exchange data with that paired device. You'd just have to switch bluetooth on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Thats the default for stock android OS. Permanent discoverable is possible in rooted device only. (read Custom ROMs).

BTW, Try on XDA if there is any trick available for explorer.
Thanks a lot. I will try and put up a review in sometime(till I am done enjoying the phone )
Old 25th May 2012, 07:47   #9253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea
Hi All,

May be OT, but need some mail contacts for motorola india to escalate issues with my Defy. All i have is "'info.in@motorola.com'". I didnt get any reply even after 7 days.

My defy was under warrenty and its touch screen conked off. After 25 days, they gave me replacement of screen, But when i received handset, i was shocked to see following problems........
That's why shops do not keep motorola. Try Facebook page, else try & escalate to international management.
I am not sure, but there is an official motorola forum as well. It is specially for development section, but at least we get a faster response from moto officials. May be they will give you email Id of concerned person.

Else keep consumer forum mail I'd in CC. You will immediately get an reply.
Good luck.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:05   #9254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
That's why shops do not keep motorola. Try Facebook page, else try & escalate to international management.
I am not sure, but there is an official motorola forum as well. It is specially for development section, but at least we get a faster response from moto officials. May be they will give you email Id of concerned person.

Else keep consumer forum mail I'd in CC. You will immediately get an reply.
Good luck.
Thanks for revert. I am trying to get mail id's for both Motorola India and Motorola Mobility, but no luck as of now.

In meantime, raised ticket in CC call centre. Sent complaints using their motorola india website mail connect.

Sadly no movement till now.

PS: Motorola is owned by google now :-(
Old 25th May 2012, 11:08   #9255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels

Did the same on my Note. Exploring the enhancements.. I used kies desktop. Took around 40 mins for the whole process.
Any idea if we can add/remove icons in the notification widget ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks