Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 09:25   #9136
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Congrats on your buy! Will be getting one soon. The price looks like a steal. Just want to know if it was an online purchase or from the brand store. Thanks!

Thanks guys!
Well, I bought it from a Shop in Delhi only as his was the least priced. In fact the guy was so busy selling mobiles (owing to low price sale model), that he outrightly refused to disclose the price for the Galaxy Note on phone call, saying " If you wanna buy, come to shop & don't waste my time".

Yes, I did register online for the Sennheiser Headphones, while the flip cover was free along the phone. The flip cover is just for the looks & is essentially useless as it doesn't protect the Phone in any way.

So, promptly got a screen guard installed & got a Black colored case (wasn't able to find white color in quality i liked) from Molife, for just 500 bucks, from Noida.
The case is rubberised to protect from sides & has a translucent blackish hard plastic back.

Loving the Android Platform as its very open compared to my earlier iPhone 3g, which even after jail breaking was ultra restrictive.
Old 18th May 2012, 09:46   #9137
BHPian

Today i personally used the sony xperia s for quite sometime. By the end of two hours i still couldnt find anything in the phone that i might like even after trying so hard. Please no disrespect to Xperia S owners here. I myself had wanted to buy that phone after reading some online reviews. Had been trying to get a hands on session with the device as I wanted to buy a backup phone.

First up: The Bravia Screen
People said the screen is so beautiful, but i found nothing good about it. In fact forget s2 or any other premium phone, my year old n8 had a better and brighter screen than the Xperia S kept side by side. And i was expecting to be blown away by their so called Bravia engine which everyone has been talkinh about.

The size and construction
The phone feels small or rather very compact. Found nothing premium about the phones materials. The rubbery like texture even the Htc Explorer and incredible has. The glowing band at the lower end of the bezel differentiates the phone from its competition.

The UI
The UI is fast but then Htc one v which i compared side by side seemed better. I did like what sony has done to the preview pane where all the widgets float. Neat touch.

The camera
Yes its a very good camera. The clarity of the pictures were high and the plethora of options sony gives for taking photos is a camera lover's delight.

Battery life
Did not get to use it for a few days so its not relevant.

Overall opinion
The phone didnt feel that special. The reviews just overhype it. Maybe its my lack of knowledge of sony's hidden features, that the phone didnt appeal to me. S2 and htc sensation felt much better to hold. The One V felt like an apt competitor to this phone even though its priced at 16990 and the Xperia S at 30k plus.
The xperia S looks good only in pictures not in my hands. Thinking of going for htc one x when its price reduces a bit.sense still feels great. With a proper task manager, im sure htc phones wont hang or lag. Atleast the wildfire S didnt in my case.

Regards

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 18th May 2012 at 09:53.
Old 18th May 2012, 09:54   #9138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Today i personally used the sony xperia s for quite sometime. By the e----------------------------------SNIP-------------------------------ces a bit.sense still feels great. With a proper task manager, im sure htc phones wont hang or lag. Atleast the wildfire S didnt in my case.

Regards

Sonys are not exactly renowned for performance etc.
Mostly for the way they look, and the cameras.
Oh, they will throw in words like Bravia, and awesome looking specs, but on the ground they usually falter.

This coming from someone who has been using ONLY SE/sony goods for the past 10 years.
Trust me, I never bought one because the specs excited me.
and neither do I plan to.

Last edited by mayankk : 18th May 2012 at 09:56.
Old 18th May 2012, 10:05   #9139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400

So, promptly got a screen guard installed
Doesn't the note come with gorilla glass ?
Old 18th May 2012, 10:17   #9140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
This coming from someone who has been using ONLY SE/sony goods for the past 10 years.
Trust me, I never bought one because the specs excited me.
and neither do I plan to.
Sir Im not a performance freak per se but i want all my devices to look and feel great to hold and use. And not hang or lag when i multitask. I basically went to look for a backup phone and having read so many of sony's reviews thought it was worth a shot. Sorely disappointed. Hated what they have done to the touch keys. I had to press them with a bit of an effort. The centre touch key doesnt bring you back to the home screen. Did let me exit the apps, but then which is the home button. Everything had to be done via the on screen app drawer button. Id even go further saying that the previous Xperia such as Arc(amazing phone), neo V and arc S have got a nice feel to them. Neo V is a very good phone for those on a budget and wanting to go in for Sony.

But this phone really disappointed. One would purchase it and regret it immediately after unboxing it. If one wants beats audio on a similar budget, go in for sensation xl or xe. But best would be to opt for one x as its the latest generation.even the Htc One V felt so nice to use. Both htc and samsung screens are a delight to look at. Bravia disappointed sorely.

All talk and hype it was. I think like most of our modern day actresses, even the xperia S needs photoshopping to look good. Why else does it look sleek in the media photos and not so sleek in my hands.

One X is sexy both in photos and to hold but im yet to get one for long duration use. Just have seen it in the showrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150
Yes it does but its better to get the screenguard. My keys hit my note and kind of made a dent but saved for the screenguard which took the hit. And it also comes with a flip cover but ive kept it away as one handed operation is difficult with the flip cover and i dont like using both hands on a phone.

Regards

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 18th May 2012 at 10:21.
Old 18th May 2012, 10:21   #9141
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Yes it does, though this info is a bit tricky to unearth.

The screen is protected with second generation Corning Gorilla Glass. from Samsung Galaxy S3 Versus Galaxy Note: What Will You Buy? :: Smartphones :: Mobile & Apps
Old 18th May 2012, 10:32   #9142
BHPian

When is the Official launch for the Galaxy S3 in India? and what is the expected price?
Old 18th May 2012, 10:39   #9143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Yes it does but its better to get the screenguard. My keys hit my note and kind of made a dent but saved for the screenguard which took the hit. And it also comes with a flip cover but ive kept it away as one handed operation is difficult with the flip cover and i dont like using both hands on a phone.

Regards
I too find it a little difficult with the flip cover.. got a screen guard and then switched back to original cover.. It feels rather clumsy with the flip cover and I was wondering if it was only me :-) Any other Note owners here using the flip cover?
Old 18th May 2012, 10:49   #9144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
When is the Official launch for the Galaxy S3 in India? and what is the expected price?
Expected launch is in june first week or by June 10th as some websites have reported. Price expected would be around 37-38K for 16GB version although some websites have mentioned 42K as the proce (this maybe for the 64GB version)
Old 18th May 2012, 10:53   #9145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit
Mid june and priced around 37k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar

I too find it a little difficult with the flip cover.. got a screen guard and then switched back to original cover.. It feels rather clumsy with the flip cover and I was wondering if it was only me :-) Any other Note owners here using the flip cover?
I got myself a rubber type cover for the back as the plastic gloss white cover used to feel cheap. Local shops have a plethora of covers for the note some of which have even better functionality than the samsung flip cover. Like i saw one which had slits in thr lower end of the screen.and one above that so that you can see who is calling and can accept or reject calls without having to open up the flip cover.
And if you opened it you could convert the flip to a stand with which "handsfree" video watching is possible.
Regards
Old 18th May 2012, 12:09   #9146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Expected launch is in june first week or by June 10th as some websites have reported. Price expected would be around 37-38K for 16GB version although some websites have mentioned 42K as the proce (this maybe for the 64GB version)
Will there be a drop in prices of S2 and Note after S3 comes in? Is it worth the wait to buy a Note/S2?
Old 18th May 2012, 12:34   #9147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Will there be a drop in prices of S2 and Note after S3 comes in? Is it worth the wait to buy a Note/S2?
Maybe not immediately.

This might happen maybe towards the end of the year.

Quick Question -
Now that its established that both these phones are going to be the same price - which one is a better pick? THE HTC ONE X or SAMSUNG GALAXY S3?
Need your valuble input.
(Tired of using my blackberry - the build quality of the newer bb phones is just horrible and something or the others keeps malfunctioning on me. Time to switch to Android)
Old 18th May 2012, 12:37   #9148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
As somebody said if S3 is priced at 37K, I don't think there will be a dip in either price or sales figures of S2/Note. They're rightly priced. IMO, 37K for S3 feels like an overkill. Suddenly, One X seems more VFM and appealing.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:49   #9149
BHPian

Quote:
which one is a better pick? THE HTC ONE X or SAMSUNG GALAXY S3?
Need your valuble input.
I'd pick the SIII

check this out
Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III vs. HTC One X: Alien vs. Predator - GSMArena.com
Old 18th May 2012, 12:52   #9150
BHPian

Quote:
It should be available early next month, prices will be upward of 43000, will go higher for 32 & 64 GB version.

Got the details from a samsung employee at their HQ in Gurgaon. He said as it is the flagship model so they are not pricing it anywhere near Note. Galaxy Note MRP is still around 38000, of course you do get it for much less.

Most Viewed