Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 11:48   #9886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Its a shame to use Android and not provide regular updates for their phones. I am tempted to throw away Samsung devices and get a google phone to be on the top of the line to recieve all updates.

Samsung is such a drag when it comes to software updates.

Samsung S3 itself may take close to a year to get Jelly bean when the next version of Android may come up.
Old 28th June 2012, 12:02   #9887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Its a shame to use Android and not provide regular updates for their phones. I am tempted to throw away Samsung devices and get a google phone to be on the top of the line to recieve all updates.

Samsung is such a drag when it comes to software updates.

Samsung S3 itself may take close to a year to get Jelly bean when the next version of Android may come up.
I have the exact same thoughts everytime I look at my HTC Sensation! It is still on 2.3.4! Google has already come up with 2 more generations of its software! So its not just Samsung. All Android manufacturers are the same. Shame on HTC for this kind of royally ignoring their customers (only last year it was their flagship device).

This much is for sure. Next time I will only buy an official Google phone if it is an Android. Or will move on to the Win8 eco system.
Old 28th June 2012, 12:05   #9888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Or will move on to the Win8 eco system.
Then you will hate nokia for the lumia 900 - WP8 issue

Updates are unfortunately non-trivial.

The day Google has to support 30+ models the way Samsung does, then we will see. Its not like Motorola has improved their Android updates since Google takeover either!!

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th June 2012 at 12:06.
Old 28th June 2012, 12:11   #9889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Then you will hate nokia for the lumia 900 - WP8 issue
Well phamilyman it is not analogous. I can understand why Win8 wont be available on present gen Win Phone devices. It has support for multi-cores and has other hardware requirements. MS is giving a 7.8 update which shall be available for all present gen devices. This much is OK for me.

Problem with Android world is, there is no uniformity in updates! With iOS and Win any update is instantly available to all people but it is not like that for Droids and that sucks really. Why is ICS still not made available for me?? I can understand IF it was not meant for my device at all. Then I wont have as much problem. But some people in the world have it and I dont. Moreover, Google phones are always the first ones to get it which royally hurts! Why should they get a preferential treatment like that. Its really bad. Why should I buy a HTC or Samsung droid when it is not going to be updated for ages!!!

Last edited by joslicx : 28th June 2012 at 12:13.
Old 28th June 2012, 12:19   #9890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well phamilyman it is not analogous. I can understand why Win8 wont be available on present gen Win Phone devices. It has support for multi-cores and has other hardware requirements. MS is giving a 7.8 update which shall be available for all present gen devices. This much is OK for me.

Problem with Android world is, there is no uniformity in updates! With iOS and Win any update is instantly available to all people but it is not like that for Droids and that sucks really. Why is ICS still not made available for me?? I can understand IF it was not meant for my device at all. Then I wont have as much problem. But some people in the world have it and I dont. Moreover, Google phones are always the first ones to get it which royally hurts! Why should they get a preferential treatment like that. Its really bad. Why should I buy a HTC or Samsung droid when it is not going to be updated for ages!!!
I think its since even though its ICS, different manufacturers use their own proprietary interface and tweaks for their devices which forces them to go through another cycle of development -> testing -> certifying -> deployment. Or is it the same with WP devices too? iOS updates are definitely understandable since they need to develop for very limited number of devices (only Apple devices). Why all manufacturers of droid want to use a different interface than stock is a different subject all together. However as you said the delay in updates is simply unacceptable. When I got my official ICS update from Sony, Jelly Bean is already round the corner and suddenly lost interest in ICS that I prefer to stay on GB now.
Old 28th June 2012, 15:12   #9891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch
Guys I'm getting the Htc one x white today for less than 30k brand new. Do I bite? One x users please advise...urgent!
I hope it's not with dealer warranty....
Old 28th June 2012, 16:16   #9892
Senior - BHPian

Having used GB for a few days before upgrading to ICS recently, I'd say those who haven't got upgrades aren't loosing too much. There is some added eye candy, some apps that don't work on lower versions, some added advantages like being able to disable pre-installed apps, etc... but other than that, whats the deal? On the other hand, the 1st version introduced swarms of bugs and bugged out most users. Many just downgraded. The second version is better, but its way far from bug free. In fact GB itself felt much more "finished". Maybe because it was the last version of the previous OS.

Now I'v learnt not to jump on the latest version after it is released. It pays to wait and watch until the bugs are addressed. But now the wait is going to be a real long one, as 1st the manufacturers take their time and still churn out very buggy code. After that you have to wait and watch until the bugs are quashed. Phew!!

And maybe thats not just my experience with Sony; even Samsung users here seem to be complaining about buggy ICS.

One good thing about Sony is that there seem to have done very li'l in terms of customization. Bloat is minimal. In fact I was surprised to be able to uninstall some (Not all - the absolute garbage, battery hogging offical FB app still can't be uninstalled, amongst some others) pre-installed apps. Is this true for other phones running ICS too?

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th June 2012 at 16:21.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:29   #9893
BHPian

Received a small update around 8MB for my Galaxy Note yesterday. The build number now is IML74K.DDLPA from previous IML74K.DDLP8. Other than that no changes and no 4.0.4.

Contrary to others I have faced no issues with ICS update to my Note. Battery life also remains the same i.e. 24 hours with full time 3G, Bluetooth on and with 2 hours of talk and some 1 hour play.

Wonder what the update was about.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:33   #9894
Senior - BHPian

Motorola Defy +

Guys,

I am back with more doubts

I have been noticing recently that every time i restart my Defy+ for what ever reasons, i get a Flash Player 11 update. Even if i do it like 5 times a day. In my earlier post i had pointed out the screen lag when connected to mains charger. That problem is still here but surprisingly that doesn't happen when charging the phone via the usb cable connected to the laptop.

In regards to the lag, a new development has happened. Similar lag is felt now when the phone is connected to wifi.

Any other defy / defy+ users feel the same. I did try to follow the xda forums in regards to rooting and installing ics 4.0.4 etc but did not feel confident and most terms just did not go into my head.

Any suggestion / solutions / pointers welcome.

Thanks.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:49   #9895
BHPian

Re: Motorola Defy +

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I am back with more doubts
Any suggestion / solutions / pointers welcome.

Thanks.
In my earlier post i had pointed out the screen lag when connected to mains charger. That problem is still here but surprisingly that doesn't happen when charging the phone via the usb cable connected to the laptop.

This is probably the infamous touchscreen issue when connected to wall charger. You can google and find lot of similar issues. Nothing to worry about. Not even Defy, but a lot other phones has faced such touch screen problems while charging.

Any other defy / defy+ users feel the same. I did try to follow the xda forums in regards to rooting and installing ics 4.0.4 etc but did not feel confident and most terms just did not go into my head.

Thankfully, the dev support for this device is really awesome. You can confidently upgrade your device. I have tried like a 20 custom ROMs on my wife's Defy and its still going strong. Its currently running on a GB MIUI ROM.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:53   #9896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post

This is probably the infamous touchscreen issue when connected to wall charger. You can google and find lot of similar issues. Nothing to worry about. Not even Defy, but a lot other phones has faced such touch screen problems while charging.

Thankfully, the dev support for this device is really awesome. You can confidently upgrade your device. I have tried like a 20 custom ROMs on my wife's Defy and its still going strong. Its currently running on a GB MIUI ROM.
Thanks.

So touch screen lag while charging is something i need not worry about. Will have to sit and read through xda forums and understand the rooting and custom rom setup for defy+. A friend scared me that defy+ has some red / green lens issue and one small error and the phone will brick.

Regards
Old 28th June 2012, 17:01   #9897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Thanks.

So touch screen lag while charging is something i need not worry about. Will have to sit and read through xda forums and understand the rooting and custom rom setup for defy+. A friend scared me that defy+ has some red / green lens issue and one small error and the phone will brick.

Regards
Its very hard to brick a Moto for its locked bootloader Regarding RED/GREEN Lens, yes but since you got Defy+ its the RED Lens most probably. Read more here [ANSWER] Does my Defy have a RED or a Green lens? - xda-developers

And for starting your life with Defy, look out here. Its a bible for Defy

[GUIDE] All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide - xda-developers
Old 28th June 2012, 17:49   #9898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
I hope it's not with dealer warranty....
Nope got it proper with the HTC warranty...you haven't had any problems have you? Also could you answer my questions below? Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Few things:

Any good recommended cases? I am in love with the Spigen Crumena Leather pouch: HTC One X Crumena Leather Pouch Series - One X - HTC - Cell Phones but not sure of best way to buy it here.

Also do I need a screen protector even though its got gorilla glass?

And how is the white? Does it get dirty easily??

Cheers/
Old 28th June 2012, 18:25   #9899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Very true. I still find it very difficult and irritating to text (even with Swiftkey) in a vehicle or even while walking. Swype aside, I feel there is nothing better than a nice tactile hardware QWERTY keyboard for typing in all kind of scenarios. Touch even with Swiftkey (or equivalent) just falls flat in these scenarios. Swype is somewhere in the middle.

However, on a 3.3" narrow screen like that of the Ray, I don't find Swype upto it. There just isn't enough real estate to Swype without speeding off the cliff, so to speak. In landscape, its possible, but that mode does not work for me as one can't see the sent messages above, can't access WA emoticons, etc. Swiftkey saves the day for me as it actually makes the portrait mode usable.
But guess what? Jelly bean's keyboard takes off on Swiftkey. Here is the story:

The new Android also promises a smarter keyboard, with a feature for predicting your next word before you type.

That IS what swiftkey does. Clearly, Google put its money behind prediction and not swiping. Think about it.
Old 28th June 2012, 20:44   #9900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Hope the suggestions above helps.
Very much appreciated, thank you. BTW is it running android 4.0.3 or 4.0.4? And what is realistic battery life that I can expect??

Cheers.

Most Viewed