Games:
Subway surfers
Asphalt 8
Temple Run
Candy Crush, if you play it
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
It all depends on whether you want to root the phone or not! Assuming your don't want to root, then you may install whatsapp, mint financial, cymera (camera app), vlc player, fb, temple run 1 & 2, and subway run. Again games depend on the specs of your phone. By the way, rooting is similar to jail-breaking of iPhones.
Why is rooting necessary for apps? I thought that it was necessary only if we want a custom-rom (OS) tobe installed.
Old 5th January 2014, 22:19   #17387
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Thanks.

Why is rooting necessary for apps? I thought that it was necessary only if we want a custom-rom (OS) tobe installed.
You can tweak system behaviour like under-clocking/over-clocking your phone's processor, disabling proprietary memory hungry apps and much more! Some apps require Root (super admin access) to work like titanium backup.

Last edited by bluevolt : 5th January 2014 at 22:21.
Old 5th January 2014, 22:49   #17388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
You can tweak system behaviour like under-clocking/over-clocking your phone's processor, disabling proprietary memory hungry apps and much more! Some apps require Root (super admin access) to work like titanium backup.
I am having trouble using swiftkey. I cannot use flow/swipe function in it although it is enabled in the settings. Also it does'nt predict words, I have set swift key 4.4 beta as default keyboard. Can anybody give me some hint?
Old 6th January 2014, 07:11   #17389
BHPian

Quote:

I am having trouble using swiftkey. I cannot use flow/swipe function in it although it is enabled in the settings. Also it does'nt predict words, I have set swift key 4.4 beta as default keyboard. Can anybody give me some hint?
Can you please elaborate your problem? Which version are you using? Latest is 2.4.1.241. Have you selected flow under settings? In fact I have typed this post using swift key flow! Is your app under trial period or a full version?
Old 6th January 2014, 10:04   #17390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's not necessary. If this is your first Android, take it easy. Use the system as is initially and load apps as you feel the need. If you start installing apps left right and center, it will eventually bog down the device and you will start cursing Google that android is laggy.

As you develop a better understanding of the OS, you may then explore rooting etc.
Old 6th January 2014, 11:41   #17391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Can you please elaborate your problem? Which version are you using? Latest is 2.4.1.241. Have you selected flow under settings? In fact I have typed this post using swift key flow! Is your app under trial period or a full version?
It is a full version, I have selected flow in keyboard settings. The version is 4.4 beta. Actually, I downloaded on my PC through utor and then installed it on the cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
It's not necessary. If this is your first Android, take it easy. Use the system as is initially and load apps as you feel the need. If you start installing apps left right and center, it will eventually bog down the device and you will start cursing Google that android is laggy.

As you develop a better understanding of the OS, you may then explore rooting etc.
Thanks, exactly what I was thinking. The problem is, it does'nt shows suggestions/predictions and I cannot use flow, I use it just as a normal keyboard but the swiftkey icon is present on the keyboard.

Last edited by mercedised : 6th January 2014 at 11:44.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:24   #17392
BHPian

Quote:
You can try Touchpal keyboard, which has Curve and Wave prediction where you can use swipe the keyboard with good prediction and it is completely free. I have been using it and loving it compared to the default Samsung keyboard which supports swipe.
Old 6th January 2014, 15:49   #17393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
You can try Touchpal keyboard, which has Curve and Wave prediction where you can use swipe the keyboard with good prediction and it is completely free. I have been using it and loving it compared to the default Samsung keyboard which supports swipe.
Thanks alot. This thing works. But when I press space after typing a word the result is other word. Like I have to type gandi, now when I press spacebar, the end result is HANDLING. How to switch this feature off?
Old 6th January 2014, 17:02   #17394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks alot. This thing works. But when I press space after typing a word the result is other word. Like I have to type gandi, now when I press spacebar, the end result is HANDLING. How to switch this feature off?
Settings - Advanced - Spacebar completion mode - change that to always insert a space or complete the current word.
Old 6th January 2014, 17:16   #17395
BHPian

Quote:

It is a full version, I have selected flow in keyboard settings. The version is 4.4 beta. Actually, I downloaded on my PC through utor and then installed it on the cell.
Beta but full version?! Why dont you just download the stable version from play store? Did you download apk files on your pc? Otherwise use phone's browser and download apk file and install then.
Old 7th January 2014, 11:09   #17396
Senior - BHPian

I need a Word/Excel files reader/editor. Which one is the best? Office 365 requires data connection is'nt it?
Old 7th January 2014, 11:18   #17397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need a Word/Excel files reader/editor. Which one is the best? Office 365 requires data connection is'nt it?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en

Quick Office from Google, its free.
Old 7th January 2014, 11:43   #17398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en

Quick Office from Google, its free.
I'm using Quick Office and its pretty good. Fast and gets the job done!
Old 7th January 2014, 12:09   #17399
BHPian

I used to call US numbers through laptop using gmail phone option. Is there any free software similar to it to call US numbers, I tried using Google voice but it didn't work. Tried Vonage and it works only for vonage numbers.
Old 7th January 2014, 13:56   #17400
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to use whatsapp on my organisation's wifi but rest all apps are working including team-bhp app, playstore and browser.

Any pointers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks