Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 13:55   #17491
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
by the way here in malaysia the motoG is as good as not having been launched. There are no promos, no ads, nothing. Not even in Plaza Lowyat - not even a standee!
Fortunately it should not be the same here in India.
The Product Manager and others are coming to India for the launch. I expect some sort of press coverage from major cities, at least.
Old 27th January 2014, 18:25   #17492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
2. Speaker quality. Normally I avoid taking calls when I am driving. But if I have to and driving my wagon r which doesn't have a BT kit I answer the call using the speaker phone. Its tad low.

Other than this I have not faced any issue as such with the Moto G. Everything functions the way its supposed to. Lag, Reboots etc seems like a thing from the past with this phone. Its butter smooth .

Regards,
I beg to differ on the Speaker quality part. I actually find the speakers very good. Crisp and Loud! May be you want to check the Equaliser settings?

I agree to the "T" on the "Everything functions the way its supposed to"! No hanging business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
How many apps do you have?
Regular call quality is good?
No lag whatsoever on a budget? Pinch me!
Regular call quality is good. No fuss there. And I haven't seen any lag as such. I have seen HTC Desire X and Xperia SP and this is way too fast. may be it's the Kitkat?

I don't have many apps installed. But, the list given by h@r$h@l is a good indicator on the phone's capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Couple of questions on the Moto G :

2) Is the SIM a micro-SIM or the usual SIM ?
It is a micro SIM.
Old 28th January 2014, 09:36   #17493
BANNED

My htc One on Reliance CDMA is just not connecting on their own data. May take an hour, if at all. Are others having problems in connectivity on Reliance CDMA. It shows eVDO and after a few attempts reverts to 1xRTT!
Old 29th January 2014, 09:33   #17494
Distinguished - BHPian

What are your guesses for the MotoG's launch price? It is available for around 15-17k on ebay, shopyourworld right now. Will Moto launch it at par with US prices or higher?

I think if they manage to price it in the 15-17k bracket, it would be awesome!
Old 29th January 2014, 11:23   #17495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
What are your guesses for the MotoG's launch price? It is available for around 15-17k on ebay, shopyourworld right now. Will Moto launch it at par with US prices or higher?

Considering the 16GB version to be around $199 + taxes, the landed cost is around 13500 INR with shipping. So, with import duty of 6% and other margins, expect at least 20% more as the price here in India.
Old 29th January 2014, 13:53   #17496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Considering the 16GB version to be around $199 + taxes, the landed cost is around 13500 INR with shipping. So, with import duty of 6% and other margins, expect at least 20% more as the price here in India.
I was having a chat with my regular mobile guy and he said their distributor / stockists have hinted them an approx launch date of ~6th Feb 2014. And the indicated pricing as given to them verbally are

Moto G Dual Sim 8GB @ ~₹14000/-
Moto G Dual Sim 16GB @ ~₹16500/-

Now he is no MAJOR stockist or a distributor that i can take his word for final but this is what he was told by his vendor.

Only time will tell what is going to happen.

Regards,
Old 30th January 2014, 06:47   #17497
BHPian

Google sells Motorola to Lenovo for less than 3bn.

I was expecting Google holding Motorola would have offered best of hardware and software for customers... and possibly next Nexus product would be on Motorola hardware.

But now that Motorola is a Lenovo company, I wonder if Moto G would still hold the same appeal particularly in India... and will Moto G continue to get latest android versions in line with Nexus products?

Last edited by rajcs : 30th January 2014 at 06:48.
Old 30th January 2014, 08:34   #17498
BHPian

Well thats bad newsfor me. I was a potential customer primarily due to the availability of latest android updates but now its a different story altogether.
Old 30th January 2014, 08:35   #17499
BHPian

I read on net that Google will discontinue its Nexus range in 2015. Now they will sell Google Play edition devices. Here is the link-:

m.timesofindia.com/tech/tech-news/hardware/Google-to-kill-Nexus-range-in-2015-Report/articleshow/29502971.cms
Old 30th January 2014, 10:14   #17500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Google sells Motorola to Lenovo for less than 3bn.

I was expecting Google holding Motorola would have offered best of hardware and software for customers... and possibly next Nexus product would be on Motorola hardware.

But now that Motorola is a Lenovo company, I wonder if Moto G would still hold the same appeal particularly in India... and will Moto G continue to get latest android versions in line with Nexus products?
Interesting. Bought for $12bn and sold for $3bn! Seems they have kept a majority of Motorola patents with them and sold the licensing part. I remember reading sometime back though that Google was not really using the patents as well as it had hoped at the time of buying Moto. Maybe it had had enough?

Last edited by Dry Ice : 30th January 2014 at 10:15. Reason: correcting the quoted post
Old 30th January 2014, 10:18   #17501
Senior - BHPian

Very surprising indeed. I like how the new Moto was pushing updates faster than even their Nexus line and with this sale, everything suddenly changes.

Quote:
Interesting. Bought for $12bn and sold for $3bn! Seems they have kept a majority of Motorola patents with them and sold the licensing part. I remember reading sometime back though that Google was not really using the patents as well as it had hoped at the time of buying Moto. Maybe it had had enough?
It actually is a good deal. Of the 12 billion, they sold the set top box business for $2.7 bn, saved tax to the tune of 1-2 bn and they retain the patents which they valued at $5.5bn and Moto had about $3 bn on its balance sheets when google took over.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...214150173.html

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 30th January 2014 at 10:30.
Old 30th January 2014, 10:27   #17502
Distinguished - BHPian

Will we see atleast another nexus edition before the Nexus series is discontinued? I was looking forward for Nexus 6 since i had no plans for updating to Nexus 5 from my existing Nexus 4
Old 30th January 2014, 10:36   #17503
BHPian

I am a bit confused on how to react!

Bit happy that I managed to source my Moto G just in time. Not sure if India launch of Moto G would happen now immediately on the heels of this news.

Sad that the next android update might not reach my Moto G soon enough.

Clearly, Google looked at Patents while buying Motorola. But, google selling Hardware (Mobile Devices) was probably a conflict of interest with other Android OEM manufacturers (Samsung, HTC).

I hope that Lenovo continues the Motorola strategy of giving devices like Moto G and Moto X.
Old 30th January 2014, 13:25   #17504
Senior - BHPian

First glitch with Moto G. Don't know how and what happened but restarting the phone solved it.

I woke up in the morning to find my phone screen like this.

It wasn't on over night charge or anything like that.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1391068470848.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1391068485300.jpg  

Old 30th January 2014, 13:57   #17505
Senior - BHPian

Guys how is the newly launched Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 ?

Does the price of 23k justify the features and specs? I was looking for a replacement for my ageing Samsung S Advance, and Grand 2 seem to fit my requirements well.

Most Viewed