Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 22:14   #17521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Yes, you do not get 3G connection with these models. ... ... ... However, despite this shortcoming and if you are going to use it at home ( on wifi), this is a great tab.

... ... ...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
JLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thad,

Its small and a bit heavy. But better on a budget than others in that price. Else the 2013 if you'd like the latest n the best etc.
Thanks, gentlemen. Maybe someone else may find the offer useful. I know I'm heading for tablet ownership one day ---browsing on the sofa instead of at the desk--- but, nope, maybe not this one.
Old 31st January 2014, 00:33   #17522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I don't think LG Nexus or Lenovo comes with a 5.25 inch screen. Screen size was the biggest consideration for me.
Lenovo K900 has a 5.5" display with a 401 PPI. Its a good phone if you are OK with lenovo.

Do consider it once.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1391108612054.jpg  

Old 31st January 2014, 12:27   #17523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
I would be wary of spending that kind of money (40k ) on an unknown Chinese company's phone.
Although for 40K is a too much for a phone, oppo has been a reputed name in producing good quality region-free dvd/ blu ray players for past few years (which are incidentally is not sold in India).
Old 31st January 2014, 14:47   #17524
BHPian

For those of us concerned about rumours of the Nexus program being killed off, here's some heartening news :

Google calls Nexus 5 a sales winner

Rumors that Google is planning to kill off its Nexus device program have been circulating recently, but if the company's comments today are any indication, it doesn't look like the program is going away anytime soon. During a conference call for the company's fourth quarter earnings report, Google CFO Patrick Pichette noted numerous times that the Nexus 5 was a "very strong" performer for Google.

Pichette stopped short of saying exactly how many Nexus 5s the company actually sold, but in addition to the Chromecast, which was noted as Google's best selling product all quarter, he said the company was very pleased with its sales. "We had great momentum on the Nexus 5 and Chromecast," noted Pichette.
Old 31st January 2014, 15:11   #17525
BANNED

Switching to GSM from CDMA

I have an age old RCom CDMA connection (from DAPO days). Currently I am using a Sprint htc One - rooted, running 4.3. I find the data connectivity dicey and often almost non-existent. I am seriously thinking of porting to a gsm network (Vodafone or Airtel, preferbly the former since they are 3G licensees in UP-E).

Should I stick with my htc One (it is CDMA + GSM) or move to some other phone. I am a bit biased towards Samsung, htc or Nexus. Suppose I root it then how tough are the software updates.
Old 31st January 2014, 16:59   #17526
Senior - BHPian

Anyone hear of the HP Slate 6? Been getting some updates here and there. Any ideas? And they seem to be specifically for Indian customers

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Nex...9#.UuuIq7SJobc
Old 31st January 2014, 17:56   #17527
Senior - BHPian

I got this email from Flipkart.

Seems its all set to go.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1391171166057.jpg  

Old 31st January 2014, 20:16   #17528
BANNED

Hi guys,
I'm new to android. I'm facing a problem - Whenever I unlock the screen, I get this message - "MMI code cancelled".
I also get this message after I send a SMS to someone (immediately after the sms has been sent).

Looked around on the net, people are suggesting adding a "," after a code, But I didn't understand how and where to enter the code and the comma after it.
Phone - Htc Desire 501
Old 1st February 2014, 01:34   #17529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I don't think LG Nexus or Lenovo comes with a 5.25 inch screen. Screen size was the biggest consideration for me.
I would strongly recommend the LG g2. I've been using it since October, and it's seriously the first phone ever that I haven't rooted or run a custom ROM on. I went from a s4 to the g2 and I haven't been happier.

Managed to convince a colleague to dump his note 3 and get the g2 and he's very happy as well. I don't work for LG so can't stick up for them but I've had an excellent experience. Fantastic battery, incredible size for such a big screen and the knock on feature has me tapping every phone hoping it will come on. The button placement is awkward for maybe a day but then it becomes natural.

Saw this offer in the paper yesterday (which also peeves me, since I have a few old Android devices lying in my drawer)
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1391198679004.jpg  

Old 1st February 2014, 08:19   #17530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I got this email from Flipkart.

Seems its all set to go.

Regards,
I am impressed with the Moto G specs., but is it still a buy after the Lenovo takeover?
Old 1st February 2014, 08:48   #17531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I would strongly recommend the LG g2. I've been using it since October, and it's seriously the first phone ever that I haven't rooted or run a custom ROM on. I went from a s4 to the g2 and I haven't been happier.

Managed to convince a colleague to dump his note 3 and get the g2 and he's very happy as well. I don't work for LG so can't stick up for them but I've had an excellent experience. Fantastic battery, incredible size for such a big screen and the knock on feature has me tapping every phone hoping it will come on. The button placement is awkward for maybe a day but then it becomes natural.

Saw this offer in the paper yesterday (which also peeves me, since I have a few old Android devices lying in my drawer)
It is still costs more than a Nexus 5. The price in these ads is farce.. Flipkart i selling g2 at 35K without any buyback
Old 1st February 2014, 10:53   #17532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
I am impressed with the Moto G specs., but is it still a buy after the Lenovo takeover?
Relax - its better now.

What is your worry? lack of quality? bad service centers?

Let me share my perspective (I will be one of the first to buy it to replace my stolen S3, now that WP8 email has disappointed me):
In such large mergers, the manufacturing will not be impacted.
Quality/mfg: Factories are not people that you tell them to come to a new office address next day. So mfg will remain the same.
Software:Kitkat 4.4 update is anyways there.
Service: Only improve - because as of now Motorola has no presence. zero. Through lenovo they can get the presence in many cities right away.

What can go wrong?

yes long term motorola may make crappy "chinese" phones etc - but that's not our problem for now. That said, Lenovo makes nice androids these days - P780 and K900 are much nicer/better built than "Indian chinese" brands
Old 1st February 2014, 13:17   #17533
BHPian

2 years back, there was a lot of publicity surrounding launch of worlds cheapest Android Tablet (as claimed by by GoI). It was called 'Akash', manufactured by Datawind. The price was mouth-watering for any android tab and GoI claimed to have specced the tab for decent performance, so like many others I ordered one too by filling up a form online (no payment) . Eventually, Datawind could not meet the huge demand and most of the eager would-be customers never received their Akash. That was 2012.
Yesterday I got a call from Ubislate (this is the same company Datawind); the caller mentioned my order of 2012 is 'now ready to be shipped' . They claimed to have started manufacturing all new models. After listening to the specs, I liked Ubislate 3g7 model (priced Rs.6990/-) as VFM. The company salesperson on the line was not much knowledgeable about their own product [ he kept mentioning ICS as 'ICE CREAM STRAWBERRY' , and refused to accept ICE CREAM SANDWICH, "Sir, actually ice cream to strawberry flavour mein ata hain na, isi liye naam hai ice cream strawberry" ]
Upon searching in net, I have not seen much review about this product 3g7. My requirements (in order of priority) are : (1) G-Maps support with GPS (2)Internet (3) multimedia (4) browsing PDF e-books
Please suggest if this is a sensible buy.
Old 1st February 2014, 13:32   #17534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
2 years back, there was a lot of publicity surrounding launch of worlds cheapest Android Tablet (as claimed by by GoI). It was called 'Akash', anufactured by Datawind. The price was mouth-watering for any android tab and GoI claimed to have specced the tab for decent performance, so like many others I ordered one too by filling up a form online (no payment) . Eventually, Datawind could not meet the huge demand and most of the eager would-be customers never received their Akash. That was 2012.
Yesterday I got a call from Ubislate (this is the same company Datawind); the caller mentioned my order of 2012 is 'now ready to be shipped' . They claimed to have started manufacturing all new models. After listening to the specs, I liked Ubislate 3g7 model (priced Rs.6990/-) as VFM. The company salesperson on the line was not much knowledgeable about their own product [ he kept mentioning ICS as 'ICE CREAM STRAWBERRY' , and refused to accept ICE CREAM SANDWICH, "Sir, actually ice cream to strawberry flavour mein ata hain na, isi liye naam hai ice cream strawberry" ]
Upon searching in net, I have not seen much review about this product 3g7. My requirementsm--------------snip---------------- (in order of priority) are : (1) G-Maps support with GPS (2)Internet (3) multimedia (4) browsing PDF e-books
Please suggest if this is a sensible buy.
Don't buy it.
I picked up a 7cx as a beater for my nephew, and the quality is quite bad. Battery is poor.
Worse when using the touch screen.
For some 4-5 k more, pick up a known devil.
Old 1st February 2014, 14:03   #17535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Relax - its better now.

What is your worry? lack of quality? bad service centers?

Let me share my perspective (I will be one of the first to buy it to replace my stolen S3, now that WP8 email has disappointed me):
In such large mergers, the manufacturing will not be impacted.
Quality/mfg: Factories are not people that you tell them to come to a new office address next day. So mfg will remain the same.
Software:Kitkat 4.4 update is anyways there.
Service: Only improve - because as of now Motorola has no presence. zero. Through lenovo they can get the presence in many cities right away.

What can go wrong?

yes long term motorola may make crappy "chinese" phones etc - but that's not our problem for now. That said, Lenovo makes nice androids these days - P780 and K900 are much nicer/better built than "Indian chinese" brands
Yes, my concerns were product quality and lack of service centers.

4 more days I am also in line for Moto G

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks