Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 15:21   #17641
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any idea about running fastboot and adb in Windows 8.1. The htc drivers are working fine, but these... I need to unroot by htc One. For this before loading the ROM image I have to do a <fastboot OEM lock>. I guess the RUU will download fine.
Old 13th February 2014, 16:55   #17642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Whatsapp is a battery hogger. Try to observe the battery performance after disabling whatsapp for few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Remove whatsapp and you can be assured of a better battery life. Reason being that continuous usage of whatsapp keeps the screen alive which consumes the most battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But when whatsapp is on, you are continually transacting. And that may be the reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Whatsapp isn't the culprit. Its the use of 3g. Also make sure location is on off as it consumes a lot of battery.
Quote:
Though I run whatsapp but I am not that regular on it. But the app runs in the background all the time.
Yup, Whatsapp seems to be the big culprit - true since the screen on is what takes up most of the battery. Can't keep away from Whatsapp though - sadly - required for work.

But I was also trying to see if my battery is faulty - I had got the phone pre-owned so was thinking the battery life might be because of the earlier owner's usage pattern. Try getting a replacement battery? I have no issues of opening up the phone and replacing it.
Old 14th February 2014, 00:06   #17643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Soumyajit Why did you not just wipe/block the phone through your Samsung account? Had you not activated your Samsung account? With this, the phone would get bricked and would be of no use to the thief!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Good point .. Not necessaily in this case but many times people are so much absorbed by the "bloatware" jibes on tech propaganda sites that they don't activate and use the useful features for which they have paid the money.
Ouch, I never thought of that ! I think I had activated a Samsung account. I was using Chat On Messenger for a try and it felt bad. So I stopped using it. But that must have used a Samsung account, right ? I am right now trying to login to my Samsung account. Thanks a ton guys for reminding me of this !!
Quote:
I think you should always keep the contacts on the cloud and ikeep it in sync with the phone. That way changing phones is quite easy.
And if you are running office mail on your phone, then even better. Because many office mail apps enforce encryption of your phone and on top have a PIN requirement too.
Apart from all this you should also use the Google remote wipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Google also provide "Android Device Administrator" facility to remotely reset/wipe your phone from your Google Accounts. It has to be activated on your phone. First thing I did on my Grand . Optionally, it also syncs your phone book, calendar, app settings, photos etc. You can restore these data back when you sign in to Google accounts from new android phone.-BJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
You can easily export all your android phone contacts to your gmail account. It is very useful in a scenario like yours. I suggest henceforth please export your phone contacts regularly to your gmail account. If in case you need to know the steps, pls PM. Cheers
See, how bad can I be.
- I had configured office email on my device. But too much of spam emails from office resulted me in removing the account, 2 months back. So I had a numeric lock, but was pushed back to simple swipe once I removed the exchange server mailbox.
- I didn't know about this Android Device Administrator, till the point when my phone was stolen and friends on Facebook asked me to wipe data remotely and I was like, How ??
- I had Google, by default set up Sync. But I had manually disabled it so that when I click on contacts, it doesn't show me everyone in my Google contacts, people without a phone number even.
Lots of learnings from the first theft in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Why not consider the MotoG? Great specs in all of 14k. Plus given the current rush, you would obviously not get it immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Agree fully.MotoG chomps all the Mediatek chipset based phones in benchmarks as well as fairly decent real life usage.Its awesomeunles you like holding a phone you cannot hold on to (<5" is my golden rule where it becomes uncomfortable!)
Eeeeeeek phamilyman. Infact I am so much used to loving that 5" phone that my wife's Galaxy Ace of 4.3'' looks like a micro phone to me.
Jokes apart, I loved the Grand. Perfectly fits the basic checks of a mid-range phone. No fancy processors or sensors or anything of that sort. Decent performance with large screen and a good battery backup. Yes, I am now a fan of large screen mobiles. You see, the last 20 movies or so that I have watched, is on my Grand. Even my 9 month old kid loved the mobile so much that I used to play a video for him and my wifey used to feed him non-stop. He wouldn't even blink while watching video (cartoons) on the mobile. It was like a 42" LCD for him !!
So yes, coming to Moto G, I see that its an awesome device. But buying a Moto, I am not very confident. Not that I owned a Moto and had bad experience, but somehow that brand doesn't sound inspiring. I had thought of Nexus, but it shoots my budget, plus its a LG Device, which is again a big no no. May be I can go for Sony Xperia C. I had a K710i which served superb for 6 years, with 2 users (me and mom). So I am basically a fan of Sony, after Samsung.
But what's the point in talking so much, when I don't have an approved budget now to buy a nother phone :(
Quote:
If the thief throws away the SIM as soon as he gets the phone and puts in a one without an active data connection, will these programs still work? Also I guess to be really effective (tracing etc) these would need the location services to be always ON?
Some may work.
- Facebook, GMail and TeamBHP - I have changed my password. So the thief can't use it because the moment he wants to refresh the page, it would ask for the new passord. But for GMail specifically, the thief can see the old emails, I guess.
- WhatsApp - Its one big confusing app. I guess it wouldn't work without my number (SIM) in it, but the existing chat logs and contacts can be viewed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Soumyajit, my BIL went through a similar situation with his Galaxy Y duos, he had locked the phone using Samsung. The phone was sold by a drunkard to another for 500 at a wineshop and when he started using it, the phone froze and we got a message with from his number. We contacted the guy and got the phone back without any damage. It did take about 3 weeks between the phone being lost and us getting it back.In the meanwhile he got a Lenovo A850 and is very satisfied.
I was wondering, may be I shouldn't have blocked the number, and had tried calling it continuously. May be, the thief would have picked up and struck a deal to return it to me. May be I panicked too much and blocked the SIM.
Old 14th February 2014, 06:02   #17644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
- I had Google, by default set up Sync. But I had manually disabled it so that when I click on contacts, it doesn't show me everyone in my Google contacts, people without a phone number even.
Lots of learnings from the first theft in my life.
Another thing about contacts:

- Contacts just does not mean Phone numbers alone nowadays
- Its now email (office/personal), FB, G+, Linked In accounts (contacts to whom you are connected), personal address, location on maps, a profile picture etc etc.
- Android OS does a very good job of pulling every thing under a single entry, provided the entry name is consistent across multiple details.

- Google contact helps you maintain that in a very effective way.
- To summarise you should unify all details of one contact under one heading.
- And Google Contact helps you achieve that quite easily.
- That was something I realised after I got into Android. In fact even then I was syncing my address to office mail server.
- Then I thought why should I update my personal address and contact details to an office mail server which is difficult to access in the cloud.
- Thats when I shifted every thing to Google Cloud

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2014 at 06:08.
Old 14th February 2014, 10:36   #17645
gemi_kk

Guys, Need help.

On my HTC one, i have noticed a weird problem.
I haven't rooted the phone. Stock phone.

- The phone's display wakes up automatically after every 10 min. It stays on for 10 sec or so, and then it sleeps again.
- No new messages. No running apps. Except alarm which is set to wake me up everyday.
- No new calls. Nothing. But the phone wakes up after every 10 min.
- Latest version is running (Whatever provided by the manufacturer). No pending updates.

I think, because of this, the battery drains in ~18 hours flat. Would some one please tell me what could be the reason for this? Any fixes?

Old 14th February 2014, 10:46   #17646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Guys, Need help.

- The phone's display wakes up automatically after every 10 min. It stays on for 10 sec or so, and then it sleeps again.
- No new messages. No running apps. Except alarm which is set to wake me up everyday.
- Latest version is running (Whatever provided by the manufacturer). No pending updates.

I think, because of this, the battery drains in ~18 hours flat. Would some one please tell me what could be the reason for this? Any fixes?
May be due to an erratic 3G network. AFAIK the screen does turn on when the 3G network goes off . This is the case in most prepaid connections where you get a pop up on the usage when the 3G is disconnected.
Old 14th February 2014, 10:50   #17647
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
May be due to an erratic 3G network. AFAIK the screen does turn on when the 3G network goes off . This is the case in most prepaid connections where you get a pop up on the usage when the 3G is disconnected.
That was a Super fast response. Thanks.

But, there isn't any notification. Yes i am a prepaid subscriber. The place where i sit, i can browse at 3+ MBPS over my HSPA+ network. Superb speed. So this is ruled out. I just updated 4 apps and 50+MB got downloaded & installed in < ~25 Sec.
Any other advice?

Old 14th February 2014, 10:54   #17648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Guys, Need help.

Some applications is causing wake locks. Detect it and uninstall it.

You can use wake lock detector from the playstore
Old 14th February 2014, 11:43   #17649
Senior - BHPian

There is a new AppRadio unchained app which will enable you to mirror your phone and remove the restriction placed by Pioneer to only certain apps.

For my Arc S, connection is through HDMI but its disabled after I put cyanogen mod on it :(
Need to go back to the 4.0.4 version of android that came with the phone now.
Old 14th February 2014, 12:19   #17650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
So yes, coming to Moto G, I see that its an awesome device. But buying a Moto, I am not very confident. Not that I owned a Moto and had bad experience, but somehow that brand doesn't sound inspiring. I had thought of Nexus, but it shoots my budget, plus its a LG Device, which is again a big no no. May be I can go for Sony Xperia C. I had a K710i which served superb for 6 years, with 2 users (me and mom). So I am basically a fan of Sony, after Samsung.
But what's the point in talking so much, when I don't have an approved budget now to buy a nother phone :(
If it is just a mind block, I would suggest try it once! Let me remind you, much before the Nexus gained widespread popularity it enjoys today, rockstar of this thread used to be Moto Defy - regulars here can testify. I guess some of them are still using it!

And, nothing wrong in planning your moves.

Quote:
Some may work.
- Facebook, GMail and TeamBHP - I have changed my password. So the thief can't use it because the moment he wants to refresh the page, it would ask for the new passord. But for GMail specifically, the thief can see the old emails, I guess.
- WhatsApp - Its one big confusing app. I guess it wouldn't work without my number (SIM) in it, but the existing chat logs and contacts can be viewed.
Oh, you misunderstood. The apps I was talking about was Android Device Manager and the likes - that claim to trace and wipe your phone in case of theft.
Old 14th February 2014, 16:57   #17651
Senior - BHPian

Moto G (16 GB) is now available on Flipkart. Delivery time is 10 - 20 days.
Old 14th February 2014, 17:58   #17652
BHPian

I am on the verge of shifting from BB to Android, but the only thing holding me back is contacts transfer. I know might have been discussed a lot of times here but can anybody do the honors just one last time in plain simple english please...
Old 14th February 2014, 18:21   #17653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
I am on the verge of shifting from BB to Android, but the only thing holding me back is contacts transfer. I know might have been discussed a lot of times here but can anybody do the honors just one last time in plain simple english please...
Do you have an option to export all your contacts from your BB as a .vcf file? It should be easy then. Otherwise, there is this app called ABC Amber vCard Converter that should help you transfer the contacts from a BB to another format. Please confirm.
Old 14th February 2014, 18:33   #17654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Sync your existing contacts to your Gmail account. When you buy a Android phone contacts will come on the phone automatically

Option 1

If your contacts are stored locally in your BlackBerry handset, it's pretty easy to transfer them to a different smartphone on another platform. Connect your BlackBerry phone to your PC and fire up the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Save a backup of your contacts on your PC's hard disk in the CSV format.
Then, log in to your Gmail inbox via a Web browser and click on "Gmail" in the top left corner. Navigate to "Contacts" and go to More > Import. Import the CSV file that you saved earlier and you should see your contacts appear in your Google account.

Option 2

http://cellphones.about.com/od/howto...l-contacts.htm

The idea is to get all your contacts to your gmail. Once that is done, buy any android phone you want. Now in your android phone, just sync with this Gmail account.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 14th February 2014 at 18:38.
Old 14th February 2014, 20:31   #17655
BHPian

KitKat update available for Moto G now. Downloading now on my 1 week old 16GB Turquoise back slab.

Loving every bit of Moto G. After using Note 1, Grand, Galaxy S4 mini, Xolo Q3000.....Moto G is giving the best experience yet. Equivalent to Nexus-2 and Galaxy Nexus which I had used earlier.

Moto G runs Real Racing 3 extremely fine, has gorgeous screen, battery at the close of the day remains at 20-30% this with 3G full time on when out and Wi-Fi when at home, 20-30 minutes of RR3, multiple times access to Whatsapp, Flipboard and Team-BHP. No stutters whatsoever. Just hope the KitKat update improves camera which is just average. Some photos come out extremely good others bad. Hope this becomes more consistent with the upgrade.

Also after using big >=5" phones loving the handy size of the phone. The pocket remains oh so lite..

Most Viewed