Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 21:19   #2641
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

As per the specs., both the HTC Incredible S(ver 2.2) and the HTC Desire S(ver 2.3) have the front facing camera. But, the one in Inc S cannot be used for video calls while the one on Desire S can be used for video calls. Is this correct or can we have the video calls in Inc S as well(in any other way or by upgrading it to 2.3)?
Old 8th April 2011, 23:02   #2642
BHPian

So finally took the plunge and bought the Samsung I9003.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_6813-copy.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_6865-copy.jpg

Any tips for best usage?

Also in maps what I have heard is the accuracy is +-600mm. So I have to enable GPS everytime I use the maps?

any essential android apps?

Anvancy
Old 8th April 2011, 23:55   #2643
BHPian

@vvrchandra: I was quoting the price off the TOI article in the morning. Flipkart didn't have it on offer then.
@anvancy: Congrats. It's a great phone. Get a case, and keep that screen safe. Have fun dude
Old 9th April 2011, 07:49   #2644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvancy View Post
So finally took the plunge and bought the Samsung I9003.
any essential android apps?

Anvancy
Check the thread on android apps
Link
Cheers
Old 9th April 2011, 12:33   #2645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The Tab is selling at 25K now due to pressure from the iPad.
The Tab is selling for Rs. 22.6K with bill and warranty.
Old 9th April 2011, 15:54   #2646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Galaxy Fit is launched 2 weeks back. It's currently retailing around 10-10.5 k. Wait for Galaxy Gio. Should be in between Fit and Ace in terms of pricing. I'm also waiting for it and there is no announcement of it's launch date.

Why dont you consider Galaxy Ace? At around 14.5 k, it offers great specs.
After some more research, I have narrowed the choice down to Galaxy Ace and HTC Wildfire. Which of these is better?
Old 9th April 2011, 20:24   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
After some more research, I have narrowed the choice down to Galaxy Ace and HTC Wildfire. Which of these is better?
Buy the Galaxy ace. You wont regret it. HTC wildfire has got a horrible screen.
Old 10th April 2011, 09:12   #2648
Senior - BHPian

Prashanth, Consider the Motorola Defy. In a 15.7k price, it has pretty good benchmarks (1000+). A friend is getting it this week - once I play around on his, will have more real world feedback as well & finally decide on buying it. (Letsbuy + COD)

The Galaxy Tab btw has a 1026 quadrant score, while the galaxy S/SL comes in somewhere at 8xx - Shashank's phone came in at 826. That shows how quick the defy is.

The ace is only 580: Samsung Galaxy Ace in the house! or 572: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...view-573p3.php

Do your math!

edit: the htc g2 gets a score of 1769! consider that if your budget allows!

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th April 2011 at 09:30.
Old 10th April 2011, 23:55   #2649
BHPian

Just loving my Desire HD, just loving it. Its extremely amazing, using it as a laptop + cell phone, yes I said and meant laptop. Except for a smaller screen, I dont feel there is any missing feature I would require from a notebook. Got my WiFi sorted out so can use my home net in the house or near the building. Using Vodafone 3G since a few days and it was pleasant, today was the last free day, will call them tomorrow and get a proper 3G plan and will deactivate my MTNL 3G plan.
Its got a great camera, but I dont like its night shots, i.e. flash, its not only too bright but also yellowish, anyone with a solution?
Loaded around 200 mb of apps, dont even know which one is the best but loving android to the core.
Old 11th April 2011, 00:27   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Loaded around 200 mb of apps, dont even know which one is the best but loving android to the core.
Welcome to the Android experience :P Am sure you would enjoy it.
Old 11th April 2011, 01:21   #2651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Just loving my Desire HD, just loving it. Its extremely amazing, using it as a laptop + cell phone, yes I said and meant laptop. Except for a smaller screen, I dont feel there is any missing feature I would require from a notebook. Got my WiFi sorted out so can use my home net in the house or near the building. Using Vodafone 3G since a few days and it was pleasant, today was the last free day, will call them tomorrow and get a proper 3G plan and will deactivate my MTNL 3G plan.
Its got a great camera, but I dont like its night shots, i.e. flash, its not only too bright but also yellowish, anyone with a solution?
Great! I love the Desire HD. It's perfect in size imo (I am one of those who think larger is better )
Any plans of rooting it?
Old 11th April 2011, 08:31   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Great! I love the Desire HD. It's perfect in size imo (I am one of those who think larger is better )
Any plans of rooting it?
I dont see any benefits of rooting. Maybe that is because I dont know much about rooting.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:02   #2653
BHPian

Rooting basically gives you admin access to the phone. This allows you to install custom roms, some apps like file managers etc. It isn't necessary, and can potentially brick your phone. Don't go for it if you aren't comfortable, or don't need any additional functionality.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:08   #2654
BHPian

I dont mind trying, but what extra functions? Also I am using a app called Dual File Manager, works pretty well. Also Custom Roms mean something like Android Gingerbread, right? If yes, then whats the use as I am sure HTC would release 2.3 on HD soon. Any other use? ALso what help will be admin access? Will it increase the speed or something like that? If so then i might root when I start to feel the phone is slowing down.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:40   #2655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Prashanth, Consider the Motorola Defy. In a 15.7k price, it has pretty good benchmarks (1000+). A friend is getting it this week - once I play around on his, will have more real world feedback as well & finally decide on buying it. (Letsbuy + COD)
I am sure that you will love the Defy. I felt that the looks and handyness is much better than ACE.
I also found a good way to import/export the contacts. You no need to go to the GMAIL account to sync your contact. Defy has a build in apps that can do it for you.

Most Viewed