Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 12:39   #2656
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I dont mind trying, but what extra functions? Also I am using a app called Dual File Manager, works pretty well. Also Custom Roms mean something like Android Gingerbread, right? If yes, then whats the use as I am sure HTC would release 2.3 on HD soon. Any other use? ALso what help will be admin access? Will it increase the speed or something like that? If so then i might root when I start to feel the phone is slowing down.
To quickly answer your queries:
Gingerbread is not a custom rom. A custom rom is a code for your ROM, written by an independent dev. Quite often, these custom ROMs fix problems that the vendor doesn't want to. For eg.- in the case of the IncredibleS, the captured photos are compressed heavily. A custom ROM can prevent that (unfortunately, the IS is really difficult to root as HTC is locking all its new phones). There are custom ROMs for the DHD that improve the battery life, add bash support etc.

The beauty of rooted Android is that it isn't locked down by the vendor. You truly own the device and can pretty much do anything. Of course, there are always trade-offs and one risks bricking the phone/losing warranty etc. If you really want my suggestion - I'd say play with your phone for a while (don't root it). Once you are bored of the stock phone - say after a year - root it for all the crazyness
e1t1bet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 13:02   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I dont mind trying, but what extra functions? Also I am using a app called Dual File Manager, works pretty well. Also Custom Roms mean something like Android Gingerbread, right? If yes, then whats the use as I am sure HTC would release 2.3 on HD soon. Any other use? ALso what help will be admin access? Will it increase the speed or something like that? If so then i might root when I start to feel the phone is slowing down.
biggest advantage of rooting is installing ad-free app. it makes all apps/games ad-free which is awesome. since most apps and games are now having ads, its good to have ad-free phone.

secondly to remove bloatware from phone which is supplied in abundance by phone company and network carriers.

these two are most imp reasons for me to root it. Apart from this, you can get other apps which require root and use it to install 3rd party apps too. Not to mention install custom roms like Cyanogen, Serendipity, Cognition.

And because i can remove bloatware, i have seen faster start up times, less apps auto running, better battery life, phone is a bit faster and above all, use Titanium back up which is great app.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:08   #2658
BHPian

Bought Samsung i9003 yesterday for Rs. 18200/-

Iam confused as website says it has 4 gb internal memory while my phone shows 2gb memory.

Pls advise.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:16   #2659
BANNED

Got Optimus 1 today. Being first Android experience , wanted to have a entry level device with total VFM.

It is going good.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:47   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post

Iam confused as website says it has 4 gb internal memory while my phone shows 2gb memory.

Pls advise.
The 4 GB is actually 2 GB internal phone memory + 2 GB internal sd card memory.
Actual usable formatted space is: (1917.85 internal phone memory + 1557.75 MB internal sd card memory as reported by 'Android System Info' app).
Old 11th April 2011, 14:13   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Few apps that I liked

1) My phone explorer - App in PC, client app in Android phone
You can manage sms, calls, contacts, sync, apps, take screenshot and what not.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-myphone2.jpg

2) New Google maps

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-scrshot.jpg

3) K-9 Mail client

Name:  mail.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  26.6 KB

Much better than the default mail client, has HTML views, you can forward multiple mails in a single mail. Unified inbox and some more cool features.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th April 2011 at 14:17.
Old 11th April 2011, 16:37   #2662
Senior - BHPian

oye uneet,

how did you manage it at the price of 18200? That is awesome. a couple of my colleagues who bought it over past 10 days between 19.5-20k are not happy!
Old 11th April 2011, 17:36   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post

Pls advise.
where did you buy it from?
Old 12th April 2011, 00:45   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oye uneet,

how did you manage it at the price of 18200? That is awesome. a couple of my colleagues who bought it over past 10 days between 19.5-20k are not happy!
Bangalore is almost 2k more expensive sadly. I picked up one as well recently. I managed to get 8k for my Nokia E72 and ended up paying 12900 for the Galaxy SL. Loving the phone so far, just wish the battery would last longer. I only get a day-day and a half if packet data is enabled.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:09   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Anyone who has been successful in syncing their HTC Desire with Outlook over Bluetooth?

HTC Sync is really primitive and the most annoying thing is that you have to grab that cable everytime you want to sync - it doesn't support Bluetooth.

I tried FJ myPhoneExplorer, it does have an option to connect via Bluetooth but the Desire doesn't seem to have the Bluetooth service to enable that connection. Only two things possible over Bluetooth - the useless handsfree and make calls option.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:24   #2666
Team-BHP Support

As I had to turn over my iPhone 3GS to the development team, now I am ready to plunge into Android world.

Based on my requirements, I have shortlisted SE X10 mini pro and Motorola Defy. What's the cheapest price I can get on these?

One of my major requirement is the alarm function. Being a very sound sleeper, I need a phone that can wake me out of the deepest sleep. Only two phones in the past could do that. One was Nokia N73 whose alarm used to go higher and higher in volume until I wake up. The other was iPhone 3GS which used to keep screaming loudly until I wake up.

Today I overslept thanks to HTC Touch2 which probably shrilled feebly for 30 seconds before giving up. I might miss flights and important events if I stay with HTC T2. Therefore loud alarm function is also very important for me in my next phone.

I guess if the phone is loud enough, I can get an alarm app that can do the job right.

Can I get some personal feedback from X10 mini pro and Defy owners? How is the alarm, how is the battery life with and without 3G?

Last edited by Samurai : 12th April 2011 at 11:25.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:25   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
As per the specs., both the HTC Incredible S(ver 2.2) and the HTC Desire S(ver 2.3) have the front facing camera. But, the one in Inc S cannot be used for video calls while the one on Desire S can be used for video calls. Is this correct or can we have the video calls in Inc S as well(in any other way or by upgrading it to 2.3)?
Guys, any update on this? Can anyone please confirm if we can make video calls with HTC Inc. S? It was stated in CNET review that video calls cannot be made on Inc. S. Please clarify. I'm planning to go for Inc S if it supports video calls, else I'll plan for Desire S. Need clarification.. Thanks in advance.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:40   #2668
BHPian

The front facing camera has one sole purpose. That's for video calling.

I'm sure the HTC Incredible S can make video calls [as long as it has a front facing camera]
Old 12th April 2011, 11:53   #2669
Senior - BHPian

What android phones should I be considering if the budget is <15k and the requirements are:
1. Android OS (v2.1 at least) (Is upgradable to 2.2 a good thing? how so?)
2. GPS that works even without a SIM once Sygic Mobile Maps (mapmyindia v6.0) are loaded on to the mobile, is it called Standalone GPS? My nokia E72 has it.
3. At least 3.2" screen as I wish to mount the phone on car dash to use mobile maps on my trips outside city
4. A fast processor (is 1GHz processor possible in my budget?) basically I don't want a phone that gets sluggish with heavy app usage
5. Capable of running Flash videos (least important on my list though)
Old 12th April 2011, 12:04   #2670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
^
Exactly!

Is Gio worth the way? And can any of the members comment on the battery life for the Ace? From what I understand, the Fit is a bigger screen size v/s Gio, but Gio runs a 800MHz processor as against Fit's 600MHz. Real-world effect would be...?
Samsung India has stated on their FaceBook page that Gio will NOT be launched in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
After some more research, I have narrowed the choice down to Galaxy Ace and HTC Wildfire. Which of these is better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Buy the Galaxy ace. You wont regret it. HTC wildfire has got a horrible screen.
+1 to that. I bought the Ace. HTC Wildfire has a very poor screen and battery life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Prashanth, Consider the Motorola Defy. In a 15.7k price, it has pretty good benchmarks (1000+). A friend is getting it this week - once I play around on his, will have more real world feedback as well & finally decide on buying it. (Letsbuy + COD)

The Galaxy Tab btw has a 1026 quadrant score, while the galaxy S/SL comes in somewhere at 8xx - Shashank's phone came in at 826. That shows how quick the defy is.

The ace is only 580: Samsung Galaxy Ace in the house! or 572: Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 review: Ace in the hole - GSMArena.com

Do your math!

edit: the htc g2 gets a score of 1769! consider that if your budget allows!
@phamilyman - Moto BLUR is perhaps the worst of the UI available for Androids. Though TouchWiz is also quite pathetic, but still way better than Blur. I also didnt like the built of the phone (with the screws et al). While I know it's made for ruggedness, it doesnt cut with me. On top of it, I heard Motorola is the slowest of the lot when it comes to releasing firmware updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What android phones should I be considering if the budget is <15k and the requirements are:
1. Android OS (v2.1 at least) (Is upgradable to 2.2 a good thing? how so?)
2. GPS that works even without a SIM once Sygic Mobile Maps (mapmyindia v6.0) are loaded on to the mobile, is it called Standalone GPS? My nokia E72 has it.
3. At least 3.2" screen as I wish to mount the phone on car dash to use mobile maps on my trips outside city
4. A fast processor (is 1GHz processor possible in my budget?) basically I don't want a phone that gets sluggish with heavy app usage
5. Capable of running Flash videos (least important on my list though)
Look at Ace at 15k or LG Optimus at 11k.

1 Ghz processer is impossible under 15k budget. At max, you can get an 800 Mhz one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks