Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 10:48   #2611
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I am in the market for a android based phone - price range 10-12k. There are not too many options at this price bracket and I have narrowed down the list to LG Optimus One, Samsung Galaxy Fit and HTC wildfire. Of these the LG seems to be the best, but am confused. Can gurus please point to which one is the best?

My requirements are fairly simple - good voice quality, decent battery life and should be able to sync with microsoft exchange (corporate mail). I hardly use the camera or music features, so they dont really matter
For this kind of usage the LG Optimus One is the best choice. It has the best battery life amongst all the choices that you have made.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:34   #2612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Guys what is the news on the Samsung Galaxy Fit? Anything else new in that price range?
Galaxy Fit is launched 2 weeks back. It's currently retailing around 10-10.5 k. Wait for Galaxy Gio. Should be in between Fit and Ace in terms of pricing. I'm also waiting for it and there is no announcement of it's launch date.
Quote:
I am in the market for a android based phone - price range 10-12k. There are not too many options at this price bracket and I have narrowed down the list to LG Optimus One, Samsung Galaxy Fit and HTC wildfire. Of these the LG seems to be the best, but am confused. Can gurus please point to which one is the best?

My requirements are fairly simple - good voice quality, decent battery life and should be able to sync with microsoft exchange (corporate mail). I hardly use the camera or music features, so they dont really matter
Why dont you consider Galaxy Ace? At around 14.5 k, it offers great specs.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:37   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Rs.28,500 from Mobile Store, Bangalore.

Front facing camera is really a set back.

I guess Neo has front facing camera. But this one is not in shops yet!

Galaxy S2 may be above 35k.

Another update about the battery. I have to charge every day for my kind of use. Usage trend shows me that more than 50% is used by display.
Thanks for the update. Battery is another issues with SE phones. I have a W960i. I need to charge it daily. I use it minimally for few calls, smses etc. No internet. Yet i need to change it daily.
Also, the panel stopped work after 3 years. Have got it replaced from a generic shop. No support available from SE what so ever

I am waiting for Galaxy S2 so that S1 will become a little bit cheaper

How about the rest of the features of the phone? Android 2.3? Any issues with it? How is the music quality?
Old 7th April 2011, 14:41   #2614
BHPian

I am in the market looking for a good 3G phone within a price bracket of 8k approx in Bangalore.
Can you guys please help in listing the phones here. It's been so hard to find the phones because of multiple brands available now.

Thanks,
Anup
Old 7th April 2011, 14:44   #2615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
I am in the market looking for a good 3G phone within a price bracket of 8k approx in Bangalore.
Can you guys please help in listing the phones here. It's been so hard to find the phones because of multiple brands available now.

Thanks,
Anup
Check out the Samsung Galaxy Pop. You get a 2.2 Android phone for about 8.5k. Its totally value for money.
Old 7th April 2011, 16:20   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
LG Optimus One is best from Battery and RAM point of view. RAM is even better than Samsung ACE.

IMHO all Android phones have some difficulty in syncing with MS exchange.

Cheers
Old 7th April 2011, 17:19   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
@anmol: Did you consider any other phone while purchasing incredible S?
Also did you try the custom skins?
I considered DHD, Galaxy S among others while opting for this one. And yes, I am happy I chose HTC IS.

No I have not tried custom skins, not getting time to fiddle around too much.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:22   #2618
Senior - BHPian

Android phone - budget upto 15k

I am currently contemplating to buy my 1st Android phone. I started with the usual LG Optimus One P500, but I feel it's way too common and out-there-everywhere. With all due respects to it's specs and hardware, I dont like it's looks and sluggishness.

Since I don't wish to spend more than 15k, I decided on the following:
1. Samsung Galaxy Fit - entry level at 10k (but the display looks pathetic)
2. Samsung Galaxy Ace - mid range at 15k (no idea about battery life)
3. Samsung Gio - somewhere between the 2 above mentioned phones. Price and launch date unknown (any clues here?)

My usage:
1. Push email (I'm looking to seamlessly replace my BB with an Android). There will be at least ~50 emails sent+recd daily.
2. Good battery life (as a benchmark - the BB is put on charge every morning at 7 am and drains out by 11 pm)
3. GPS
4. Occasional FB, browsing, forums etc.

Which one is recommended?

P.S. Is Gio good enough to wait for? There is no news of it's launch.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:29   #2619
Senior - BHPian

^
Exactly!

Is Gio worth the way? And can any of the members comment on the battery life for the Ace? From what I understand, the Fit is a bigger screen size v/s Gio, but Gio runs a 800MHz processor as against Fit's 600MHz. Real-world effect would be...?
Old 7th April 2011, 21:37   #2620
Senior - BHPian

I've been using the ACE for a month now. The phone is very nice and worth its price. Battery life is not bad, but not good either. With display brightness set at the midway level, auto rotation on, 3g on full time, a little bit of GPS, Wifi and about 30 -45 of calls i get about a day. Heavy browsing on 3g drains battery fast though.
Old 8th April 2011, 09:57   #2621
BHPian

Guys, Currently I own Nokia E63 and E75. I would like to do an upgrade. I choose Android and looking for a touch screen phone cause it is lot more interactive.

My profession is web and thats why I need one which support realtime emails and in which I surf the web. I am looking for a HUGE screen mobile.

How about Samsung Galaxy Tab? It is for 25k right now.

Please suggest. I prefer android.
Old 8th April 2011, 10:18   #2622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
Guys, Currently I own Nokia E63 and E75. I would like to do an upgrade. I choose Android and looking for a touch screen phone cause it is lot more interactive.

My profession is web and thats why I need one which support realtime emails and in which I surf the web. I am looking for a HUGE screen mobile.

How about Samsung Galaxy Tab? It is for 25k right now.

Please suggest. I prefer android.
Using Galaxy Tab as a phone will be a highly inconvenient option. You would have to carry it with you and always have it paired to a bluetooth headset to receive/make calls. There are several 4" or bigger size screen Android phones that might be more practical if you need phone+web+big screen facilities. HTC and Samsung are two brands that come to mind.

The Tab is selling at 25K now due to pressure from the iPad.
Old 8th April 2011, 10:38   #2623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Using Galaxy Tab as a phone will be a highly inconvenient option. You would have to carry it with you and always have it paired to a bluetooth headset to receive/make calls. There are several 4" or bigger size screen Android phones that might be more practical if you need phone+web+big screen facilities. HTC and Samsung are two brands that come to mind.

The Tab is selling at 25K now due to pressure from the iPad.
Yeah, Handling it is a HUGE problem and price is too high right now.

What samsung phone do you suggest?

Thanks
Old 8th April 2011, 10:43   #2624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
Yeah, Handling it is a HUGE problem and price is too high right now.

What samsung phone do you suggest?

Thanks
There are many Galaxy and Wave series Samsung phones to choose from. I am sure you can find user feedback on those phones here in previous posts or in other forums. Though I don't use an Android phone, the Galaxy S with the S-AMOLED screen was the ultimate choice. Sadly, the phone was discontinued in India due to shortage of S-AMOLED screens. The Desire or Wildfire from HTC are other hot-selling Android options.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 8th April 2011 at 10:45.
Old 8th April 2011, 10:51   #2625
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting for the LG Optimus black (their 1Ghz competitor to the SGS) & they seem to have shot themselves in the foot with a 27k MRP (LG Optimus 2X Launched in India With Price Tag of Rs 30,000) vs the Galaxy SL (LCD) for 19.5k. So today, for about 20k budget, this is pretty much the only option in 1Ghz, right?

How's the ace versus the SGSL in real life - at the 15k price point the Ace looks good, packing in a GPU and a 800 mhz but bit less RAM?

I saved 4k while buying the E63 vs the E71 and regretted its slow-as-hell speed forever. I dont intend to repeat the same mistake this time.

I consider the Motorola defy as well, but the locked bootloader is a pain & its unavailable: Otherwise its specs are impressive:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/283748
Motorola Defy - Quadrant Benchmark - Smartphone Benchmarks (SmartBench 2010/Quadrant) Forum
and with mods: PowerVR 530? - Page 2
and SL seems to be bad: Samsung Galaxy S i9003 SL any difference???? - Page 3 - xda-developers (800/900 something)
Ace seems to be 580: Samsung Galaxy Ace in the house!

- can someone help me understand?

The overclocked performance is unbelievably brilliant: http://smartphonebenchmarks.com/foru...ant-benchmark/

Lastly, is it worth waiting another 4-5 months for the Tegra 2:
http://www.moderncellphones.com/blog...-on-froyo.html
Its a soul crushing 2391 with an unoptimized benchmark - well worth the 40%-50% premium over the Galaxy SL!

Last edited by phamilyman : 8th April 2011 at 11:08.

Most Viewed