Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 13:55   #1861
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
After going thru a hell lot of articles for the HTC desire I finally stepped went to the trusted dealer from whom I have always bought a mobile. I was in for a shock when he told me that the desire is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. However he has a few gray market pieces which he was willing to give for 21.5K. The phone would but naturally be without any bill/warranty. I was totally confused & deicided to let go.
Guys I sincerely need your help since I am now again back to square 1. My max budget is 20K. Please suggest an alternative to the Desire. The Desire S is almost 26K, so goes out of the window for me.
wow the Desire is already out of stock? Strange, because Flipkart had it for like 21k, which i think is still too expensive for a phone that has been out for more than a year. The Desire HD, S, and Z are already here or coming. Check out the Motorola Defy (18k i think). I played with the Blur UI (a lot of people dislike it), but it seemed fine to me, and it seems even more tightly integrated with social networks than the Desire. The reviews on the Defy are great and its tough as nails. I know the processor speed (800mhz) is lower than the Desire, but the tech is newer, so apparently its faster according to benchmarks.
Old 16th February 2011, 14:33   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I was in for a shock when he told me that the desire is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. However he has a few gray market pieces which he was willing to give for 21.5K.
If you are ok to buying from flipkart, they still have it in stock:
HTC Desire Price In India: Buy HTC Desire: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles (Brown)

If not try Alfa at Vileparle.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:03   #1863
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
I think the HTC Desire Z will feel the lack of processing power very fast, being 800MHz. I have both the Samsung Spica (800MHz) and Samsung Galaxy S (1GHz), and the difference is vast IMO.

Navin, I think if you have a budget of 25k for a phone, go with HTC Desire HD. No QWERTY though, but you should try a 'full' touchscreen phone anyways. I've been a hardcore QWERTY chap for years, and the Android experience has made me a convert. If you can get your hands on a Samsung Galaxy S, just buy it with eyes closed. Nothing comes close to this phone in terms of screen and experience (in the 1GHz range). I've seen them all. this is purely my opinion, and not trying to offend anyone.

Another option would be Motorola Milestone 2, with TI OMAP3630 1GHz CPU, PowerVR SGX530 graphics accelerator. But if you are looking at something this side of 20k (and less processing power), then also look at Motorola Flipout (QWERTY) and Motorola Defy. Defy IMO is VFM.
Stay away from Desire HD is what I would say. That 4.3-inch screen is a power hog and with 1230mAh battery, no matter what anyone says, the battery life is going to be miserable.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:44   #1864
BHPian

I normally trade in my old phone (E63 as of now) when I buy a new phone from this vendor. He's very reliable & is also well connected which helps in getting faster service in case of any troubles. If I buy the phone from flipkraft I will have to hunt 4 a buyer for this phone. I will not get a good deal also since I am only selling the phone. In his case since I am technically speaking upgrading my phone he gives me a good price for my old set. Also too much of a risk in picking up something online, never done that. What my vendor told me was that HTC has stopped manuf. the set. Hence I dont want to be settled with a piece that might be old.

Would it be a risk taking the phone in greay market without warranty? Thats the only point that I am afraid of. Has any 1 faced any issues with it?

Any other suggestions will be most welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
If you are ok to buying from flipkart, they still have it in stock:
HTC Desire Price In India: Buy HTC Desire: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles (Brown)

If not try Alfa at Vileparle.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:10   #1865
BHPian

Anybody have any idea about the replacement for Galaxy S as it is out of production?
Galaxy S2 I feel will come in 35k+ price range. Two models announced by Samsung with similar specs of Galaxy S are Galaxy S 4G and Galaxy SL. Dont know which one is going to come in India ! Univercell.in has displayed Galaxy S 4G with an approximate price of 24K.
Old 16th February 2011, 21:37   #1866
BHPian

Re: Android applications

App Name - PowerAMP
Free/Charge - Trial/Paid
What it does - Music Player
How it performs (rating) - Excellent

My quest for the best music player has almost come to an end, this is amazingly good. It is stylish, powerful and has a robust EQ. Also, it's very very intuitive.
Old 16th February 2011, 22:17   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247;2238131

This is an automotive app. Worth buying if you really want to know whats going on in your ;)

[B
App name[/b] - Torque
Free/Charge - Paid, expensive.
What it does - A lot of things you never thought your phone could do. Please check out the link of all the details. Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle
How it performs (your rating) - AWESOME!
how do you connect it to the ECU ? Bluetooth ? i remember reading something like that but where can i find it ?
Old 17th February 2011, 00:02   #1868
Senior - BHPian

I'm still confused about the best entry level Android handset.

I was earlier contemplating Optimus P500 but the 600 Mhz processor and the 3 MP cam seem to be downers.

I dont want to cross 15k in budget, but preferably, it should be around 12k odd.

So is Samsung Ace good enough? 800 Mhz processor and 5 MP cam?

How's the UI of Samsung vs. that of LG?

Battery life?
Old 17th February 2011, 08:56   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Stay away from Desire HD is what I would say. That 4.3-inch screen is a power hog and with 1230mAh battery, no matter what anyone says, the battery life is going to be miserable.
Battery life be good or bad, why do anyone want to buy that normal lcd screen for that much money? It is not even s-lcd.
(posting from my HTC desire)
Old 17th February 2011, 08:59   #1870
BHPian

navin,
i dont think htc desire hd is worth a try with only 6hrs battery backup and not a great lcd screen in that price range. if you want a good qwerty android set then u can check samsung galaxy 551.its abt 13000rs with android 2.2. other option is galaxy ace in 15000rs. its a good phone but without physical qwerty.

Last edited by zoom2_ash : 17th February 2011 at 09:00. Reason: typo
Old 17th February 2011, 09:07   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

I was earlier contemplating Optimus P500 but the 600 Mhz processor and the 3 MP cam seem to be downers.

I dont want to cross 15k in budget, but preferably, it should be around 12k odd.

Battery life?
I think Galaxy Ace is better among the two. 1GHz processors right now dont come in less than 15K. May be a wait and watch will be good as the price of Dual Core phones are not announced yet. Once they come out, we can expect a re-positioning of the existing single core 1GHz models.
Old 17th February 2011, 09:11   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
I think Galaxy Ace is better among the two. 1GHz processors right now dont come in less than 15K. May be a wait and watch will be good as the price of Dual Core phones are not announced yet. Once they come out, we can expect a re-positioning of the existing single core 1GHz models.
i doubt any of the dual core models will come to India anytime soon. The first one to hit the US, Moto Atrix, is only available for pre-order on AT&T now.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:40   #1873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Battery life?
Samsung is 15K and LG Optimus One P500 is 12K
So you decide is it worth for you to pay 3000 more for 2 more MP and a processor faster by 200MHZ
Be aware that even though its an 800MHz Processor, it cannot run flash.
So play with both and then decide what you want.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:06   #1874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu;2245713[url=http://www.htc.com/www/product/desirez/specification.html
HTC - Products - HTC Desire Z - Specification[/url]
Are HTC phones stable?

Quote:
I think the HTC Desire Z will feel the lack of processing power very fast, being 800MHz. I have both the Samsung Spica (800MHz) and Samsung Galaxy S (1GHz), and the difference is vast IMO.

If you can get your hands on a Samsung Galaxy S, just buy it with eyes closed. .
25K is not fixed. I can stech to 40 or 45K. My wife checked out the iPhone 4 (her brohter has one) but did not like the touch sreen. She NEEDS a tactile QWERTY keyboard.

We catn find the Galaxy S here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Navin, what exactly do you want to do with your mobile.
1. Meego etc., - The orphan child of nokia. I really don't know where it will lead. But N900 is definitely a swell phone.

2. Android - The platform of choice for people who love to experiment. HTC does have something called flash lite, but its not flash.

3. Symbian - The grand daddy. Its behind in the app space, but to be frank, for a not so tech savvy user who does not care about app universe, Nokia phones are still a force to reckon with. The battery life of Nokia phones is still among the best. Do not discount Nokia. For what you need the phone for, it may be the best

4. IoS - Well you pay 30,000 and you get a phone which does not do many things. For example Iphone users need to pay 299 on vodaphone for 450MB Iphone plan, as normal GPRS does not work.

5. Bada - New Samsung OS. Very limited apps etc., I do not have much idea about this. However we do have a Bada thread

6. Windows mobile 7 - Well MS has not quite gotten it.

LAst but not the least, do not discount touchscreens.
Tsk,

The phone is for my wife.

She has tried the N97 mini, N900 and BB 9800 (I use one) and rejected both as the keyboards are too small.

She types 60-70 SMSes per day so she needs a phone wiht a good tactile keyboard.

She also takes lots and lots of photographs so she needs a phone wiht a decent camera.

Her current phone is a Nokia N96 but has not become unstable and acting wierd. 2 attempts by Nokia to fix it have falied.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:14   #1875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu;2245713[url=http://www.htc.com/www/product/desirez/specification.html
HTC - Products - HTC Desire Z - Specification[/url]
Are HTC phones stable?

Quote:

If you can get your hands on a Samsung Galaxy S, just buy it with eyes closed. .
25K is not fixed. I can stech to 40 or 45K. My wife checked out the iPhone 4 (her brohter has one) but did not like the touch sreen. She NEEDS a tactile QWERTY keyboard.

We catn find the Galaxy S here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Navin, what exactly do you want to do with your mobile.
1. Meego etc., - The orphan child of nokia. I really don't know where it will lead. But N900 is definitely a swell phone.

2. Android - The platform of choice for people who love to experiment. HTC does have something called flash lite, but its not flash.

3. Symbian - The grand daddy. Its behind in the app space, but to be frank, for a not so tech savvy user who does not care about app universe, Nokia phones are still a force to reckon with. The battery life of Nokia phones is still among the best. Do not discount Nokia. For what you need the phone for, it may be the best

4. IoS - Well you pay 30,000 and you get a phone which does not do many things. For example Iphone users need to pay 299 on vodaphone for 450MB Iphone plan, as normal GPRS does not work.

5. Bada - New Samsung OS. Very limited apps etc., I do not have much idea about this. However we do have a Bada thread

6. Windows mobile 7 - Well MS has not quite gotten it.

LAst but not the least, do not discount touchscreens.
Tsk,

The phone is for my wife.

She has tried the N97 mini, N900 and BB 9800 (I use one) and rejected both as the keyboards are too small.

She types 60-70 SMSes per day so she needs a phone wiht a good tactile keyboard.

She also takes lots and lots of photographs so she needs a phone wiht a decent camera.

Her current phone is a Nokia N96 but has become unstable and acting wierd. 2 attempts by Nokia to fix it have falied.

Her current short list is the Milestone 2, Nokia E7, and maybe a Samsung (please suggest their best model), and we have now added the Desire Z (is HTC stable and reliable). A tech friend asked her to wait for the Sony Experia Pro but I told her we cant wait for ever her phone is falling apart as we speak.

Of the Samung phones the Armani phone looks best.
Samsung B7620 Giorgio Armani pictures, official photos

What about this Moto?
Motorola MOTO MT716 - Full phone specifications

Last edited by navin : 17th February 2011 at 12:25.

Most Viewed