Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 22:46   #2011
BANNED

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just got an Epic 4G (CDMA version of Galaxy S with keypad). Two questions:

1. Does Kies work with it or not. Differing opinions. Tried, was 'connecting' for over 30 minutes. Gave up - Win 7 setup.

2. Has anyone done Froyo upgrade. Vendor says Do not do it, my son has done it and finds the system faster.

I have a Reliance registered handset. Works well, but find data connection a bit dodgy. EVDO activation is expected soon.
Old 24th February 2011, 03:11   #2012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
due to some reason, Indian Galaxy 3 is not getting Froyo update(Probably to sell the ACE), so you have to go the hacker way.
So Samsung has left its customers out in the lurch. As it is, they seem to have a bad reputation wrt. updates/software support. One of the reasons why went with LG instead. Potential Ace customers may want to keep this in mind before making a choice. Hope LG proves itself to be better on this front.

Last edited by Raccoon : 24th February 2011 at 03:13.
Old 24th February 2011, 06:19   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Defy ! Nice phone! Fast, slim, light and has battery life.

And I got a live demo of its waterproof ability. My friend just dropped it in a glass of water in front of me.
It's a cool party trick huh . How much did your friend pay for the Defy?
Old 24th February 2011, 09:25   #2014
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Dear all,

My wife is looking to go for a high end smart phone. She was initially quite keen on the iPhone 4, but has recently read up on the Android devices and is in two minds. We are going abroad in March and were planning to pick up the iPhone 4. Now we are confused. I am not too much of a phone person and all my research on the Net is throwing up sites where the comments have been very biased and by fanboys. Looking for your opinion. iPhone 4 or Android device? And if Android then which one?
I will stick with the open platform, i.e. Andriod. In fact I have just moved from Blackberry to Android, and still coming to grip with it. The iPhones have a fantastic look and feel, but if they are bricked for whatever reason they stay bricked, as simple as that.
Old 24th February 2011, 09:34   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will stick with the open platform, i.e. Andriod. In fact I have just moved from Blackberry to Android, and still coming to grip with it. The iPhones have a fantastic look and feel, but if they are bricked for whatever reason they stay bricked, as simple as that.
Thanks for your perspective. My wife is not the techno-geeky user and kind of was sold on the iPhone. Will her life be better with the iPhone or an Android based phone like the HTC Desire? I am just going bonkers.

P.S. , but is that you in your avatar picture?
Old 24th February 2011, 09:56   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just got an Epic 4G (CDMA version of Galaxy S with keypad). Two questions:

1. Does Kies work with it or not. Differing opinions. Tried, was 'connecting' for over 30 minutes. Gave up - Win 7 setup.
I had the same problem with my wifey's Wave II.
Remove the memory card and try connecting it with Kies. It seems to work. This needs to be done only for the first time. Subsequently it will detect along with the memory card.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:29   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
It's a cool party trick huh . How much did your friend pay for the Defy?
3 of them bought !

18750 INR.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:53   #2018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Thanks for your perspective. My wife is not the techno-geeky user and kind of was sold on the iPhone. Will her life be better with the iPhone or an Android based phone like the HTC Desire? I am just going bonkers.

P.S. , but is that you in your avatar picture?
The Iphone UI is definitely more slick. And Iphone has definitely more show off value.
but remember, for a non techno savvy person who does not care about Jailbreak and all, the Iphone will be good as long as that person is okay with apple deciding what apps can be installed, and what cannot.
Also remember, that if you are running on an Indian network, many telcos like vodafone force you to take Iphone GPRS plan which is 199rs for 450MB.
Normal GPRS plans with same speed cost 199rs for 2.5GB or similar.

Coming to android, its definitely an upcoming platform, and you have the choice. Since your budget is high end, you can actually chose from the various top end phones.
1. Google Nexus S - This is the Samsung Nexus S, and this will probably get the updates the soonest. When launched expect a 23-25K price
2. HTC Desire HD
3. Motorola
4. Sony Erricson
5. Upcoming Lg Optimus 2 ( June 2011?)

Every phone has its own user interface, so your wife may like some, and may not like others. Iphone will have the one and only apple interface.

I suggest you let her handle a few phones, and if she still finds the Iphone the best, go for an Iphone, but if android is good enough, go for android.

As sgiitk said, an open platform does have its advantages.

That said, as of today, android phones with similar pricing have still not reached the same "Show off level" as iPhone. So if the purpose of phone includes lot of showing off, iphone wins hands down, atleast today.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:00   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a tonne for your comprehensive answer tsk1979. Will keep you all posted on the outcome of the search.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:08   #2020
Senior - BHPian

@Typeonegative : Just to add to the list provided by TSK1979.

If you are looking at high end and not in tearing hurry upcoming Galaxy S2 is the one nothing matches it as of today was demoed at MWC should be out by April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
So Samsung has left its customers out in the lurch. As it is, they seem to have a bad reputation wrt. updates/software support.
Take any non-Indian image and flash is actually there is nothing much India specific anyway
Old 24th February 2011, 12:10   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Defy ! Nice phone! Fast, slim, light and has battery life.

And I got a live demo of its waterproof ability. My friend just dropped it in a glass of water in front of me.
Check this review:
Motorola Defy - Is it Really as Rugged as it is Smart? > Reviews > Mobile > Smart > Tech2.com India

It does say:
"After a while, water tends to seep in through the camera and flash gap"

So maybe its not as rugged as it advertises.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:54   #2022
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need a little help.
I have issue with the screen getting off and phone locked when running the Gmaps(Brut mod) and Navigation.
The thing is when I run the Compass app from catch.com, the screen remains on but when I run the Gmaps and navigation the screen turns off and phone gets locked after 30 sec. as set by me.
Any ways to keep the screen on when the gmaps and navigation ??
(apart from going to settings and turning off the screen off)
Old 24th February 2011, 15:09   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys, need a little help.
I have issue with the screen getting off and phone locked when running the Gmaps(Brut mod) and Navigation.
The thing is when I run the Compass app from catch.com, the screen remains on but when I run the Gmaps and navigation the screen turns off and phone gets locked after 30 sec. as set by me.
Any ways to keep the screen on when the gmaps and navigation ??
(apart from going to settings and turning off the screen off)
I am using Brut navigation in my Desire. The display remains on indefinitely until I press the power button or close the application - during navigation that is. While viewing the map in Brut maps, the display turns itself off after the timeout but these are the expected behavior. I have not changed any phone settings for this, nor did I see any options inside Brut mod for this - this happens by default.

Which phone are you using?

Last edited by clevermax : 24th February 2011 at 15:10.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:26   #2024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am using Brut navigation in my Desire. The display remains on indefinitely until I press the power button or close the application - during navigation that is. While viewing the map in Brut maps, the display turns itself off after the timeout but these are the expected behavior. I have not changed any phone settings for this, nor did I see any options inside Brut mod for this - this happens by default.

Which phone are you using?
Clevermax, I have HTC wildfire.
I Picked up Brut Mods for Gmaps from your post only.
But as I said, the compass app is fine, I don't know how for navigation the screen turns off. Not sure why, I have tried all the settings but there is no option for display in the navigation.
I searched online and somebody on Android forum talked about "keep screen" app for the solution. But not sure how will it be.
Meanwhile I have bought a Dual USB car charger and the Nokia car phone holder, will check out the navigation thing again today.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:36   #2025
Team-BHP Support

Can you look at general settings of brutmaps.
For example in androzic and oruxmaps like software, I can simply checkbox "keep display on" and display won't turn off.

Most Viewed