Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 16:27   #2161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Oh ok.... Then may be it's something else.. My brothers desire went down from 100 to 97 overnight snd mine from 100 to 77! Definitely there's something.
Have you installed a launcher app like GO launcher. These apps are known to drain batteries in most of the models.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
Old 5th March 2011, 17:28   #2162
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
Have you installed a launcher app like GO launcher. These apps are known to drain batteries in most of the models.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
Yes I have, but that's not the active launcher.. I am using ADW. And with ADW I had seen a big improvement in battery life compared to HTC Sense launcher. I think Go Launcher should be uninstalled completely to solve this issue. I had reported battery drain issue with GO launcher a couple of pages back.
Old 5th March 2011, 18:35   #2163
BHPian

I lost my blackberry last month...thinking of buying Motorola Charm now...is it a good phone or are there any other good android qwerty phones??
Old 5th March 2011, 19:23   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
2. GPS issue is a known issue in Galaxy 3 with Eclair platform. Please install GPSBooster lite and run it prior to running any GPS application like maps etc. Works well.
I installed the GPS booster. But still no luck with the GPS on galaxy 3. :(

Quote:
guys anyone using swype? I installed it yesterday. Great thing to type, love the way it eases your typing. But I feel it drains battery too much.. Had full charge yesterday night at 11.45 pm and now the phone is showing 77% :(

EDIT: typed using swype
I am using the swype on galaxy 3. It's very comfortable and I don't think there is any issue of battery drainage because of the function. The Swype is very useful feature and I would suggest this to all who use type extensively (chat, mails etc) on the phone. I used to experience a small pain on my thumbs while typing the traditional way, but with Swype, the issue has been sorted out. No more strain on the fingers. The only issue is that the predictive text has to be fine tuned a little more, maybe this is related to Samsung alone.

Anyway, this is a very nice feature.
Old 5th March 2011, 22:59   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I am using the swype on galaxy 3. It's very comfortable and I don't think there is any issue of battery drainage because of the function. The Swype is very useful feature and I would suggest this to all who use type extensively (chat, mails etc) on the phone. I used to experience a small pain on my thumbs while typing the traditional way, but with Swype, the issue has been sorted out. No more strain on the fingers. The only issue is that the predictive text has to be fine tuned a little more, maybe this is related to Samsung alone.
Anyway, this is a very nice feature.
I have uninstalled Swype. Not because of battery getting drained but it doesn't suit my style of typing with both thumbs. Swype is meant for one finger (but in landscape mode, you can use right thumb to press only space button, but in Swype you can type without pressing spacebar between words). I enjoyed Swype's ability to accurately judge the words you are typing.

Another place where I disliked Swype was the inability to refine search as you press letter by letter - in 'To' fields of mail and sms. With Swype, the search results are shown when I am done with swyping a name or typing in a group of letters and pressing on the popup to confirm.

Now I am back to the original keyboard.
Old 5th March 2011, 23:23   #2166
Senior - BHPian

I installed Sygic maps on the Optimus.....works nicely but there is no voice navi happening ! I have enabled voice navi, selected the language ......still it doesn't speak !!

What could be the issue ?

EDIT

Mobile Maps 9
Version 7.71 build 7044D
Maps Version 7.80

Last edited by normally_crazy : 5th March 2011 at 23:38.
Old 5th March 2011, 23:23   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
Another place where I disliked Swype was the inability to refine search as you press letter by letter - in 'To' fields of mail and sms. With Swype, the search results are shown when I am done with swyping a name or typing in a group of letters and pressing on the popup to confirm.
You can type letter by letter (just like a regular keyboard) even when the swype function is activated (this is possible on samsung). The predictive text is automatically off when you type in this manner. I don't find any trouble while inputting in the "To" field. I go the letter by letter method for these cases and start swyping for the main message. The search results pop up simultaneously when you go with the letter by letter method.

It does take some time to get used to (it took me a full week ) but once you do, I am sure you will enjoy it and it becomes much faster.

Last edited by ajman28 : 5th March 2011 at 23:35. Reason: typo
Old 6th March 2011, 00:10   #2168
Senior - BHPian

@ajman: Yes, I got your points. but I like to type using both hands and Swype is not very handy for that...

I have gotten rid of the battery issue by uninstalling GO launcher. Uninstalled that and some other third party widgets that got from the market, and now battery is draining much slowly... back to the old look plus a new theme:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-desirebrown_front_s.jpg
Old 6th March 2011, 00:12   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Guys i have a serious query, can anyone tell me how do people get phones from US so cheap? I just asked a friend to get me a Galaxy Ace from US (although it is for only 15k here) wondering i'll get that around 10-11k and he said it is for 380$ which is expensive than the indian price.
Thats the price of the galaxy S,specify galaxy A-C-E
Old 6th March 2011, 00:55   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Can this be done with Kies (without going to the service centre)?

No it cannot be done, service center is required.
Old 6th March 2011, 10:46   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Yippee.. I have joined the android bandwagon. Got myself the Galaxy ACE S5830 and i'm loving it, except for the battery life of course !
Old 6th March 2011, 13:14   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

App Name: SWYPE
Free/ Charge - Free
What it does - helps one text faster and better than abc, t9, qwerty etc.

Hoe it performs (rating) - Excellent
Old 6th March 2011, 21:16   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Yippee.. I have joined the android bandwagon. Got myself the Galaxy ACE S5830 and i'm loving it, except for the battery life of course !
Im still deciding between the Ace and the Defy. The Defy tempts me more every day; i.e every time i look at a vid of it getting dropped in a cup/glass of water and its still working, it gets me all hot and bothered
Old 6th March 2011, 21:20   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Im still deciding between the Ace and the Defy. The Defy tempts me more every day; i.e every time i look at a vid of it getting dropped in a cup/glass of water and its still working, it gets me all hot and bothered
How many times you would be doing it everyday ?
Buy a phone for its features, price, and value for money aspect. Don't go for these silly marketing gimmicks. And i have heard that some water does get in through this phone, its not 100% water proof either.
Old 6th March 2011, 21:37   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I was also in the same situation. I'm in love with the Defy, but its about 18.5k, which was over my 15k budget. If you have the money go for it. The only concerning point would be when will the defy get the 2.2 update?

One more thing to note about the ACE is that there is no flash support, even though it runs 2.2. The only option is skyfire.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks