Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:15   #2116
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Flipkart lists Xperia Arc and Xperia Neo for preorder. Xperia is priced at 28,999 and Neo at 24,999. Anybody interested?

I am waiting for Samsung Galaxy S 2!
A friend who is sales manager for Samsung mobiles has indicated 28k+ (On the road, not MRP) price for Galaxy S2! Although the phone has excellent specs, anything above 25k looks unjustified given that S I9003 costs "just" 19k. I expected 4-5k max above I9003 and that makes it in 24-25k range.

29k on Xperia Arc is mindless! The phone, being a Sony, has pretty good camera though.
Old 3rd March 2011, 22:29   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey, Clever thanks man!! for your constant update about the different apps and UI that you have been trying.
Will wait for your update about the Zeam launcher and then probably decide between ADW and Zeam.
Thanks! Your wildfire will give more than 38 hours if my Desire gives that much with ADW!

Guess what, I just noticed that I was running the phone continuously for about 9.5 days! (See the up time below) I had to restart explicitly because the new weather 3D gadget stopped responding. Clearing data, and restarting the widget alone didn't help. You can see my new desktop layout as well.

Name:  Adwscreen.png
Views: 668
Size:  623.7 KB
Old 4th March 2011, 05:51   #2118
BHPian

Got a Samsung Galaxy S I9003.
I know its a "stripped down" version of the original S, but is reasonable. and yes the UI is pretty fast, plenty of RAM, big 4" screen - all for 19k.
Moving from Nokia 5800 XM(which i sold of and got this) to this is a BIG upgrade.
The Android Market is too good.

P.S : I am looking for Airtel MChek app for andriod. Anybody got a clue as to where i can find it and if its even been released?
Old 4th March 2011, 07:30   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
I know its a "stripped down" version of the original S, but is reasonable. and yes the UI is pretty fast, plenty of RAM, big 4" screen - all for 19k.
Moving from Nokia 5800 XM(which i sold of and got this) to this is a BIG upgrade.

P.S : I am looking for Airtel MChek app for andriod. Anybody got a clue as to where i can find it and if its even been released?
Congrats! But why do you need that mCheck app here? I have had troubles with mCheck when I tried to pay bill using that.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:38   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Congrats! But why do you need that mCheck app here? I have had troubles with mCheck when I tried to pay bill using that.
I always used MChek on 5800 to pay my bill/ recharge my dad's prepaid account and was very convenient..
i guess they have a SMS based system too (don't necessarily need an App for that i guess) for payment. Will have to check that out
Old 4th March 2011, 09:46   #2121
BANNED

Got a Samsung/Sprint Epic4G (CDMA). Still on Android 2.1 as the 2.2 upgrade was found to be unstable. Fantastic phone, however the ear speaker packed up (barely audible sound level) after three days. The supplier wants it back to fix. However, even though it is a MEID registered handset, and I migrated to it from my old Nokia6275 using the HCC card (official way), now that I have to go back to the Nokia in order to send it back, it will not accept the HCC to get out. I am on EVDO services so the old RUIM willl not work, need a new OMH RUIM as well. Now I have to go to a WebWorld to get this done. One peril of CDMA. In the almost eight years I haev been on Reliance I have found the performance excellent, and at the moment they have the cheapest data services, incl. EVDO on smartphones.

I use WiFi on campus and have hit 24Mbps download speeds on a speed test.
Old 4th March 2011, 09:51   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post

No experience with mCheck, but I have IMobile from ICICIC and it works pretty well for all my online transactions. If you have an ICICI account then this would be a good app for you to try.
Old 4th March 2011, 11:04   #2123
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a question to the android users.
Is there a call threading and notes attaching facility in Android?

This is a facility where the calls to and from a number is threaded chronologically, much like the way outlook threads emails by conversation, or Windows mobile threads the SMSes.
This helps greatly in cases where there are multiple calls to/ from a person on a developing subject.

And, is there a facility to attach a small text/ voice note (describing what the call was about, follow up details etc.) with the call details? Also, can a follow up call to the same number can be directly scheduled in the calender from the call manager itself?

As of now I use a prehistoric symbian mobile. But in the past I have used windows Mobile which although was the worst thing to happen to us in cellular telephony, had some of these features.
So, I want to know if Android does the best of both worlds - stability and feature?
Old 4th March 2011, 11:18   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
A friend who is sales manager for Samsung mobiles has indicated 28k+ (On the road, not MRP) price for Galaxy S2! Although the phone has excellent specs, anything above 25k looks unjustified given that S I9003 costs "just" 19k. I expected 4-5k max above I9003 and that makes it in 24-25k range.
I think we cannot compare the I9003 and Galaxy S2, as the Galaxy 2 is much superior. It has a dual core processor, faster GPU, more RAM, more memory, S-AMOLED+ screen and is thinner. I think 28K is a reasonable price for it. But maybe if we wait a year or so, Samsung will launch a Galaxy S2 with S-LCD screen and watered down specs for 19K .
Old 4th March 2011, 12:18   #2125
BHPian

CleverMax,
BTW is that the normal clock widget on your cell phone or have you downloaded something?
The reason I asked is that on my ACE, I get the digital clock. Wanted to check whether it is the settings on the clock or some new app.
Old 4th March 2011, 12:53   #2126
Senior - BHPian

I have been ANDROIDED
Old 4th March 2011, 13:55   #2127
BHPian

Cool NC, which one did u finally go for?
Old 4th March 2011, 14:00   #2128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I think we cannot compare the I9003 and Galaxy S2, as the Galaxy 2 is much superior. It has a dual core processor, faster GPU, more RAM, more memory, S-AMOLED+ screen and is thinner. I think 28K is a reasonable price for it. But maybe if we wait a year or so, Samsung will launch a Galaxy S2 with S-LCD screen and watered down specs for 19K .
Well the difference is not "that" much really to command a 10k difference. there will be hardly any major diff b/w the dual core processor and the single core one (as the single core one would be a generation old), RAM etc doesnt cost that much as well. The only major cost differential should be the s-amoled screen which cud push price by maybe couple of grand. Thats why a total premium of about 4-5k is what to expect at max, not 10k.

remember, unlike HTC or Nokia, Samsung doesnt use premium materials in their mobiles. Its all still plasticky. The only thing is they give too many premium "features" like i20! In our motor world terms Galaxy S2 and SI9003 are like loaded i20 and i10. So how much of a premium can i20 expect over i10? 20%? Certainly not 50%!
Old 4th March 2011, 14:09   #2129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the difference is not "that" much really to command a 10k difference. there will be hardly any major diff b/w the dual core processor and the single core one (as the single core one would be a generation old), RAM etc doesnt cost that much as well. The only major cost differential should be the s-amoled screen which cud push price by maybe couple of grand. Thats why total premium of about 4-5k is what to expect at max, not 10k.
I think you have no idea on how processors are priced and how prices fall.
This processor is top of the line and is ahead of other dual cores in terms of features and these features do cost money in terms of either development cost of IP licensing cost. This is Samsung's own processor but still the pricing is done as per market.

50% of Samsung semiconductors processor production is reserved for Apple so Samsung launches with lots of processors like Tiegra 2 and OMAP but there is no great difference in price of any of these processors for the same generation and similar capability.

Quote:
remember, unlike HTC or Nokia, Samsung doesnt use premium materials in their mobiles. Its all still plasticky. The only thing is they give too many premium "features" like i20! In our motor world terms Galaxy S2 and SI9003 are like loaded i20 and i10. So how much of a premium can i20 expect over i10? 20%? Certainly not 50%!
Is this for real ? Which Nokia comes with Gorilla glass
What you mean by premium materials , Ivory , mahogany and leather ?

Plastic is lot better because it does not attenuate the signals like the steel band around iPhone 4G.
Old 4th March 2011, 14:12   #2130
BHPian

Has any of you tried installing froyo on samsung galaxy 3? I read in a couple of sites that this is very much possible. Looking for a real feedback from our gang. Also any idea when samsung will officially release froyo for galaxy 3?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks