Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:08   #1996
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
How can one check the GPS capability inside any shop? Wouldn't you need to take the phone outdoors to check locking time etc? Do mobile phone shops allow such a testing?
Sometimes you do not need to go out if the shop is having large window area.

Incidently LG O1 gets a GPS lock inside quiet frequently.

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:20   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
been weighing the pros and cons of 2 phone for the last 10 days - the Samsung Ace and the LG Optimus

The opti is 3000 rs cheaper than the Ace.

For 3000 bucks more , we get a 0.35 inch space more , a faster processor, lesser RAM and better looks (IMO) with the Ace.

Is it worth going with the Samsung ? Or should I stick to the Optimus ?

Usage is going to be phone calls, browsing, use of GPS majorly.
I am in the same boat, need to decide either on optimus or ace. There is news that optimus might get the gingerbread update.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:33   #1998
Senior - BHPian

That makes three of us in the same boat !!

Which one are you leaning towards Maru ?

I also found the ace feeling faster and more responsive than the optimus. Plus I also felt that I had to press with a little force to open apps on the opti while it was a light touch on the ace. Nishan also felt the same - did u ?
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:51   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are a galaxy 3 owner, you can get the latest update from Samsung website.
Can you post a link?

I had purchased Sygic Mobile maps with MMI maps of NCR a few days ago. However, to my dismay, the App could not get any GPS signal even if left in open sky for hours.

Searched on internet a bit, and finally found a solution in form of an App called "GPS Booster Lite". Now whenever i run this app before running the Maps app, the GPS is locked within a minute.

If there is already an update for this by Samsung, thats great news!

Last edited by DCEite : 23rd February 2011 at 14:06.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:57   #2000
BHPian

Quote:

I also found the ace feeling faster and more responsive than the optimus. Plus I also felt that I had to press with a little force to open apps on the opti while it was a light touch on the ace. Nishan also felt the same - did u ?
As of now, am more so inclined towards optimus, but i need to have a close look at ace. In this thread, optimus has got pretty good feedback.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:12   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I was talking about legal ways of getting software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am in the same boat, need to decide either on optimus or ace. There is news that optimus might get the gingerbread update.
Yes, LG has confirmed that Optimus will get Gingerbread. However, Croma outlets in Mumbai are saying quite the opposite. They say that Optimus is out of stock, as it's phased out and that LG will be launching 2.3 Gingerbread based phone in it's place. I got to hear this at Phoenix Croma.
Quote:

Yes, I played with Ace as recent as yesterday. Found it more responsive and definitely faster, despite of it having lesser RAM than Optimus. Also, screen res and output of Ace felt way better!

How much RAM is really "adequate"? Assuming that SMS, some bit of email, GPS and some light games (e.g. Angry Birds) would be the main usage of the phone? Also, I'm the kind who likes to keep trying out apps, so I keep (un)installing them regularly.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 23rd February 2011 at 14:14.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:38   #2002
BHPian

^^^Guys, Don't think much, buy the Galaxy ACE.
I bought one at Alfa a few days back for 14.5K.

My initial analysis: Phone looks good. Haven't tried everything yet but initial feedback is good. Angry birds load fine without any issue.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:48   #2003
BHPian

The specs says Optimus one having higher rated battery (1500mAh) vs Ace (1350 mAh). With a higher processor speed for Ace , I really don't know how it translates into battery life for the two. I have an Optimus one and I have turned paranoid with this aspect. I really enjoy the phone given my fascination with free android apps, but I constantly have to think about the battery life which is a shame as it prevents me from enjoying the phone. Not sure if proper real time numbers are available anywhere. But if you don't use Wifi/GPS much then i think you can overlook this aspect.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:59   #2004
Senior - BHPian

I am getting an issue with my HTC Desire running Android Version 2.2 from today morning,

I am getting a pop-up message :
======================

SMS Message

RT$SbB@$!....and so on

Cancel Save
======================

Cancel & Save are the only options and there is no sender information (like a business card)

This message changes every time with different characters

Please help me guys....this message have come not less than 100 times today. I remember this happening few times earlier but never used to repeat.

PS: I have been Canceling the message thinking something may go wrong if I save it
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:26   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am getting a pop-up message :
======================

SMS Message

RT$SbB@$!....and so on

Cancel Save
======================

Cancel & Save are the only options and there is no sender information (like a business card)

This message changes every time with different characters

Please help me guys....this message have come not less than 100 times today. I remember this happening few times earlier but never used to repeat.
Try restarting your phone (if not done already). That might help to some extent.
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:27   #2006
BANNED

Any experience with Froyo on Epic 4. It is released but some Gurus's advise against it.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:27   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Try restarting your phone (if not done already). That might help to some extent.
Tried that couple of times, but didn't help. There are posts in Android forums on the same issue, but no resolutions
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:34   #2008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Yes, LG has confirmed that Optimus will get Gingerbread. However, Croma outlets in Mumbai are saying quite the opposite. They say that Optimus is out of stock, as it's phased out and that LG will be launching 2.3 Gingerbread based phone in it's place. I got to hear this at Phoenix Croma.
Yes Optimus 2 is coming, but it will have a TEGRA processor and will be a 20K+ phone. Atleast for a couple of months Optimus one is going going anywhere
Quote:
Yes, I played with Ace as recent as yesterday. Found it more responsive and definitely faster, despite of it having lesser RAM than Optimus. Also, screen res and output of Ace felt way better!
RAM does not matter much unless you are using multiple apps. However android automatically closes less used apps when memory is low. higher processor speed will be of some help for games, but for everything else, you won't really notice. But then NC said he is mostly into calls and sms, not really into games. Thats why I suggested 3000rs savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Can you post a link?

I had purchased Sygic Mobile maps with MMI maps of NCR a few days ago. However, to my dismay, the App could not get any GPS signal even if left in open sky for hours.

Searched on internet a bit, and finally found a solution in form of an App called "GPS Booster Lite". Now whenever i run this app before running the Maps app, the GPS is locked within a minute.

If there is already an update for this by Samsung, thats great news!
DIY : How to Install Froyo 2.2 on Galaxy 3 i5800 / i5801-iGyaan.in*|*iGyaan.in

So install Froyo 2.2 and your problem is solved. due to some reason, Indian Galaxy 3 is not getting Froyo update(Probably to sell the ACE), so you have to go the hacker way.
A friend is using the firmware posted in link, and its fine.

Remember, this is not a custom rom. so you do not need to root your phone. Somebody has taken samsung froyo update for galaxy 3 and given the instructions

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd February 2011 at 17:36.
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:34   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,

My wife is looking to go for a high end smart phone. She was initially quite keen on the iPhone 4, but has recently read up on the Android devices and is in two minds. We are going abroad in March and were planning to pick up the iPhone 4. Now we are confused. I am not too much of a phone person and all my research on the Net is throwing up sites where the comments have been very biased and by fanboys. Looking for your opinion. iPhone 4 or Android device? And if Android then which one?
Old 23rd February 2011, 22:05   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Defy ! Nice phone! Fast, slim, light and has battery life.

And I got a live demo of its waterproof ability. My friend just dropped it in a glass of water in front of me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks