Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 08:54   #9496
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I dont know what the gurus think, but personally think that after the initial hoopla, the price of S3 should stabilize near 30k.
I also guess so, but that can happen only if dollar price comes down. S3 launch was delayed only because dollar price was going up.
Old 6th June 2012, 09:06   #9497
Senior - BHPian

Hey friends, I updated my Galaxy note with the new ICS android update yesterday
this one is the best android version i have used till date, ICS is really nice one
Old 6th June 2012, 10:26   #9498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
this one is the best android version i have used till date, ICS is really nice one
Got ICS installed on my friend's note as well as my S2 & there is a slow down i have noticed especially when i press contacts icon. It takes an extra second to display. Even my friend with the Note was complaining about it slowing his phone & he not being a techno geek thinks i did an unwanted "upgrade".
Old 6th June 2012, 10:29   #9499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Got ICS installed on my friend's note as well as my S2 & there is a slow down i have noticed especially when i press contacts icon. It takes an extra second to display. Even my friend with the Note was complaining about it slowing his phone & he not being a techno geek thinks i did an unwanted "upgrade".
My galaxy note works well like before and basically the S Note application with Spen is wonderful now, the data usage link is also too good. will update on some more goodies I will find on the way
Old 6th June 2012, 10:43   #9500
Senior - BHPian

IMPORTANT FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE USERS

Guys there is a serious issue with the contacts and dialer bit of the ICS version for our phone.

As mentioned by Avinash i am sure all of us will agree that the dialer and the contacts are responding much slower than before for sure.

But what happened with me yesterday was a HUGE issue. My contacts crashed and all the contacts saved on the phone got ERASED. The contacts synchronized with other accounts got restored but even after restarting the phone and trying all possible settings my phone contacts could not be restored.

Luckily i had backed up my contacts on KIES before upgrading to ICS and i was able to restore them from there and lost only the ones saved post the backup.

Reliability of KIES is another huge issue so i would recommend that you sync your contacts with outlook or any other backup tool.

PLEASE BACKUP CONTACTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
ERRATIC BATTERY ISSUE ON NOTE AFTER ICS UPGRADE.

Apart from the above me and a few friends using the Note are also facing a problem with the battery life after the ICS upgrade. The phone becomes warm and on such days the battery level drops to 0% in less than 8 hours of use. On other days it easily lasts for more than 18 hours.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th June 2012 at 23:56.
Old 6th June 2012, 11:20   #9501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec

Apart from the above me and a few friends using the Note are also facing a problem with the battery life after the ICS upgrade. The phone becomes warm and on such days the battery level drops to 0% in less than 8 hours of use. On other days it easily lasts for more than 18 hours.
Check you wifi settings.
Keep wifi on during sleep, select option as never.
Old 6th June 2012, 11:26   #9502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post

Install cpu spy and better battery states(from XDA thread)
It will tell you if your phone is going to deep sleep

If you see "fuel_alerted" not releasing wakelock, switch off phone, take out battery for some time, and then restart phone.

I had this issue of fuel_alerted not letting the phone go into deep sleep. Battery removal fixed the issue.

This issue is actually a kernel bug, and I think it has been fixed in CM9 kernel(along with EMMC hard brick bug in ICS).
Now when do these fixes come in a kernel from samsung... its anybodies guess!
Old 6th June 2012, 11:34   #9503
Senior - BHPian

I am excited that Sprint has announced the launch of the CDMA Galaxy S III on 21st June 2012. Can't wait to get my hands on it and use it here on Reliance CDMA-

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-sprint-samsung-galaxy-s35.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-sprint-samsung-galaxy-s36.jpg

Details here - Finally: Samsung Galaxy S III is Revealed - GSM Handset Discussion - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 6
Old 6th June 2012, 11:41   #9504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Install cpu spy and better battery states(from XDA thread)
It will tell you if your phone is going to deep sleep

If you see "fuel_alerted" not releasing wakelock, switch off phone, take out battery for some time, and then restart phone.

I had this issue of fuel_alerted not letting the phone go into deep sleep. Battery removal fixed the issue.

This issue is actually a kernel bug, and I think it has been fixed in CM9 kernel(along with EMMC hard brick bug in ICS).
Now when do these fixes come in a kernel from samsung... its anybodies guess!
Thanks TSK! but this is not something that happens to me everyday. How often are you facing this issue?

I will install the apps you have mentioned, but have been restarting the phone anyways whenever it becomes warm and the issue subsides for sometime. Will take out the battery also next time it happens.

I am sure may people are facing this issue and Samsung will be forced to fix the issue asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Check you wifi settings.
Keep wifi on during sleep, select option as never.
Thanks F150!
My WIFI is completely OFF most of the time...will it make any difference?
Have anyways changed the setting as mentioned by you.
Old 6th June 2012, 12:26   #9505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
My WIFI is completely OFF most of the time...will it make any difference?
Have anyways changed the setting as mentioned by you.
Yes WIFI and 3G drain battery in most android phones.

Also if battery temperature exceeds 35 deg C then battery drain is faster than otherwise..the best temperature range is 15 to 35 Deg C for the battery
Old 6th June 2012, 12:26   #9506
BHPian

Quote:
Can you let me know how to update to ICS on Note apart from using the Phone to do it? Can I some how download the update in my laptop that then use usb for data transfer? I used Kies but there is no option to search for an update for my Note.
Old 6th June 2012, 12:30   #9507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Can you let me know how to update to ICS on Note apart from using the Phone to do it? Can I some how download the update in my laptop that then use usb for data transfer? I used Kies but there is no option to search for an update for my Note.
Look up using PC-ODIN on XDA forums. You can download the rom to a area on your laptop, and then flash it using PC-ODIN
Old 6th June 2012, 12:51   #9508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Look up using PC-ODIN on XDA forums. You can download the rom to a area on your laptop, and then flash it using PC-ODIN
What is PC ODIN for and its advantage?
Old 6th June 2012, 12:55   #9509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is PC ODIN for and its advantage?
Its what Kies should have been. Easiest to flash roms with this software. Just follow instructions on XDA.
Old 6th June 2012, 13:50   #9510
BANNED

Let me add a clarification for the newbies. ODIN is specific to Samsung phones.

Most Viewed