Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 15:50   #9481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Finally. I always thought Note was too small for a Tablet. This should make it more practical.
Note is not really a tablet. It is niche device meant to bridge the gap between a smartphone and a tablet.

Rohan
Old 5th June 2012, 15:57   #9482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Note is not really a tablet. It is niche device meant to bridge the gap between a smartphone and a tablet.
I consider anything bigger than Defy to be a Tablet.
Old 5th June 2012, 17:14   #9483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Finally. I always thought Note was too small for a Tablet. This should make it more practical.
Well, I never thought I would spend 30K on a phone/tablet/device_with_no_category an year back :-). People evolve and phones too or is it the other way round ? On a serious "note", after a month's use I honestly believe there will be more Notes than Defys in the future.

On a different "note", I am still struggling with the battery life after ICS Update on my Note.. Suggestions from fellow Noters welcome..
Old 5th June 2012, 17:28   #9484
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I am new to the android world. I have been studying the intricacies of android smartphones as I intend to buy one. I have budget of 20-23K max. I wanted suggestions for a good phone to buy.

Can you please guide ? Which should be a good phone to buy in this price range? I would love getting ICS as the OS and a dual core processor ( if that is not too much to ask in this price range.) Otherwise, a strong performing single core should also be aceeptable.

Thanking you in advance for your inputs.
Old 5th June 2012, 18:19   #9485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
The back cover is extremely flimsy..feels like it will break any moment, but am assuming it will not.
Congrats NFS2024 on your hot new phone.

Unfortunately this flimsy build and plastic all over is what has kept me from Samsung all this time. Despite the beautiful display and classy specs of the SGS3, I still hesitate. I really don't know what stops Sammy from using premium materials in construction.

Hoping to see a long term review from you and other SGS3 owners. It would be much helpful to all Android handset owners here who are considering this model.

Cheers!
Old 5th June 2012, 19:08   #9486
BHPian

How reliable is timtara? a whopping 4000/- off of mid-high end android phones .

Summer Special
Old 5th June 2012, 19:12   #9487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad
I have budget of 20-23K max. I wanted suggestions for a good phone to buy.
As I had suggested to someone else as well, please do look at the Atrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice

Do check out the Motorola Atrix 2. Its super VFM!
Specs are great -
4.3'' qHD display
1 ghz Dual core Cortex A9 processor with 1 GB RAM
8 GB internal memory, micro SD slot
1785 mAh battery
8 MP primary and .3 MP front cam
Full HD recording

Downer(s) - Its still on GB :( and no official announcement about the ICS update...
Motorola seems to have confirmed ICS for Atrix. Not sure of timelines.
Old 5th June 2012, 19:19   #9488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
How reliable is timtara? a whopping 4000/- off of mid-high end android phones .

Summer Special
STAY AWAY. Just search for timtara reviews and you'll come to know about the scams they've done.
Old 5th June 2012, 19:44   #9489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks - Bought the Galaxy S3. I knew it was a bit costly and all that, but couldnt help but buy it. The initial impressions are awesome, but will post more later once i use it for a week or so...!!

Any other users who have bought S3, pls post the initial feedback.
Me too . I got my S3 from samsung store last sunday. The screen is to die for. Amazing clarity and pics from FB looks way way better than in any other phone/laptop. Infact after seeing few videos on S3, i didnt like watching my LCD

I am a first timer for Android so cant comment on tech stuff. Have been an "apple" all this while. All the sensor stuff like auto dial of the number of the message sender, auto mute when you put the phone upside down etc works flawlessly.

If anyone have any other question, then please let me know and i will test that and report back.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:04   #9490
BHPian

Hi guys,

Heed a little help here with Samsung Kies.

I wanted to upgrade my the firmware of my Galaxy S2 from Gingerbread 2.3 to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.

So went to samsung support website and downloaded their latest version of Kies 2.3.2.

Installed the same on my laptop and restarted the pc.

Launched Kies and then connected my Galaxy SII via the supplied USB cable.

But, I get the following error message:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-untitled1.jpg

I have since uninstalled and reinstalled Kies.

I have also tried restarting the phone and then reconnected it to the pc.. but to no avail. Keep getting the same message.

However, the phone is correctly detected and shows up in windows explorer
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-untitled2.jpg

Just doesn't work with Kies.

What am I doing wrong here????

Last edited by vikash49 : 5th June 2012 at 20:05.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:33   #9491
BHPian

Hello Friends, I have an issue with an app on my S2. Earlier when on Checkrom HD GB 2.3.6, I was using Sygic Mobile Maps 10, but when I extracted the APK from backups and installed on Criskelo's V11.1 ICS Rom the APP closes without loading anything.

Looks like some kind of compatibility issue. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this?

Also what are the latest, good and free GPS apps (with Voice Navigation for India) that you guys use ??
Old 5th June 2012, 21:37   #9492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
I have budget of 20-23K max. I wanted suggestions for a good phone to buy.

I would love getting ICS as the OS and a dual core processor ( if that is not too much to ask in this price range.)
For a budget of 20k, please do not consider phones with single core processor. Dual core is a must at this price range.

I would suggest Sony Xperia Sola and Samsung Galaxy Advance. These come with Gingerbread as of now, but will be getting ICS update after a while.

Rohan
Old 5th June 2012, 21:57   #9493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr

For a budget of 20k, please do not consider phones with single core processor. Dual core is a must at this price range.

I would suggest Sony Xperia Sola and Samsung Galaxy Advance. These come with Gingerbread as of now, but will be getting ICS update after a while.

Rohan
My sincere advise would be to stay away from the plethora of models launched by Samsung. Only mainstream devices like S,S2 note have good support on xda and have custom roms.
For 23k, i say stretch it a little and grab a S2. It was retailing at 26k, price should go down from here.

Last edited by F150 : 5th June 2012 at 21:59.
Old 6th June 2012, 02:15   #9494
BHPian

Folks, just upgraded to the ICS on my Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro. The upgrade process using the Sony companion was frustrating. After hours of struggle I couldn't complete the instructions, the pc upgrade interface went into the "please wait " mode & wouldn't budge. Thought enough is enough.. Plugged out the cable, said let's live on with the gb for some more time.

Dejected, I switched on the mobile, hoping it would power up, otherwise I would have to survive without a phone till this is sorted.

As the mobile woke up, I could see SONY appearing on the screen instead of the customary Sony Ericsson. I could sense something had happened. Next, it started showing some messages around upgrade and started upgrading the applications. I was praying it would complete without any hurdles, recollecting how, out of despair, I had pulled out the cable in the middle of the operation.

After the completion of the upgrade activity, I have briefly checked my mobile. My initial impression is "oh my God! It's on steroids". Ye, it has happened, but not without drama. I had been waiting for this since six months. What a positive relief that the phone is better off.
Old 6th June 2012, 08:52   #9495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
I want guru's to guess, what range will this phone price fall to and settle for sometime, S2 was more or less near 27.5k.
I dont know what the gurus think, but personally think that after the initial hoopla, the price of S3 should stabilize near 30k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
I wanted to upgrade my the firmware of my Galaxy S2 from Gingerbread 2.3 to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.Just doesn't work with Kies.
What am I doing wrong here????
Have you tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling it?

Also, if KIES is not working for you (in my case it detected my phone, but was unable to update it) and if you are desperate for ICS, I would recommend rooting the phone and applying the official update manually. You can also try custom ROMs. BTW, S2 is really good with ICS

Last edited by navin : 6th June 2012 at 09:56. Reason: back to back posts merged 2 posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks