Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 13:11   #7981
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
I think you guys haven't set up the app correctly. If you set it up to deny USB access as well as USB debugging, I don't see how anybody can flash a ROM. Even using fastboot. ODIN may be another thing...
What is ODIN?

Odin is the software which flashes Samsung firmwares in bootloader mode (or whatever download mode they call it).

I do the exact same via RSD lite for motorola.

You have to grant that others here who have spent money and are ruing it, may be doing so because they have gone the whole hog. I am of course open to making the app work - but your suggestions don't
Old 28th February 2012, 14:28   #7982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
What is ODIN?

Odin is the software which flashes Samsung firmwares in bootloader mode (or whatever download mode they call it).

I do the exact same via RSD lite for motorola.

You have to grant that others here who have spent money and are ruing it, may be doing so because they have gone the whole hog. I am of course open to making the app work - but your suggestions don't
Nope. ODIN is not bootloader dependant. ODIN is used to revive bricks. I don't think anti-theft can block that. But then, nothing can :-)

And btw, anti-theft is free.
Old 28th February 2012, 14:33   #7983
Senior - BHPian

More rumors for SGSIII:

Quote:
Sources close to BGR have leaked some valuable information regarding the hardware specs that everyone has been waiting to hear. Without further adue, the Samsung Galaxy S III is expected to feature Samsung's 32nm 1.50GHz quad-core Exynos 4412 SoC, which packs four Cortex-A9 processing cores (improving CPU performance by up to 26% from current 45nm Exynos SoCs) and four ARM Mali GPU cores (improving GPU performance by up to 50% from the 45nm Exynos SoCs).

The device also features a 4.8-inch “Full HD” display with 1920x1080 resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio, an 8-megapixel rear camera, a 2-megapixel front camera, a 4G LTE radio and will run the Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.

Of course, we have yet to hear any details about RAM, storage capacity, size and weight, but the specs that have been released thus far paint a picture of what to expect from Samsung's "top flagship" smartphone for the year 2012.
Source: Samsung Galaxy S III hardware specs leaked
Old 28th February 2012, 14:37   #7984
Senior - BHPian

Thought of sharing some basic adb usage to manage apps, configuration, copy files etc from a PC.

If you have Android SDK installed in your PC, you can get the terminal of your Android phone in your PC using abd. You need a USB cable to connect, need to enable USB debugging in the settings of the phone.

From your PC's command prompt, you can type in

Quote:
C:\>adb devices
To see if the phone is getting listed first. If there's no devices listed, then the phone is not detedted through adb.

Quote:
C:\>adb shell
#
Use this to get the terminal of the phone in your PC. Then basic linux commands can be used to install/manage apps, change configuration settings etc. if you know what you're doing

Quote:
C:\>adb push
can be used to install an apks directly into the phone's system/app folder. This can be used to copy any file anywhere in the phone as well.

Example:

Quote:
C:\>adb remount
C:\>adb push Mycalc.apk /system/app
will remount the /system as read write and then the specified apk will get copied form PC to phone. You wil be able to notice the app icon appearing in the app drawer after this. You need to be rooted and HTC guys will need to be S-OFF'ed as well.

All these are achieved by connecting the phone to the PC using a USB cable. Now going one step further, you can actually do all these wirelessly, if your phone and PC are in the same Wi-Fi netwrok. Here's how.

First open up terminal emulator in the phone, and do the following, starting from the 'su' command. (You need to be rooted)
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20120228_140824.jpg

These commands can be saved in a shell script and that can be called as well, for ease of use.

Now in your PC, type in

Quote:
C:\>adb connect <Phone's IP address>
Example:

Quote:
C:\>adb connect 192.168.1.6
C:\>adb shell
#
Now you will get access to phone's terminal via Wi-Fi.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th February 2012 at 14:48.
clevermax is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 14:49   #7985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thought of sharing some basic adb usage to manage apps, configuration, copy files etc from a PC.
Do we have a command to send sms or make calls directly from the command prompt if the S2 is connected to the system?
Old 28th February 2012, 14:52   #7986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_

Do we have a command to send sms or make calls directly from the command prompt if the S2 is connected to the system?
Why not use apps like airdroid which are intended for that purpose?
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 14:54   #7987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I don't think we can send an sms or make a call from a terminal as it is.

But, you can very well send sms &make calls easily from your PC using apps like MyphoneExplorer. You can even use your PC's keyboard for inputting text directly onto any input field that comes up in your Phone - you can watch text appearing in the phone's screen as you type in PC.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th February 2012 at 14:57.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 16:58   #7988
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed that on my Motorola Defy with CM 7.1, the temperature of the phone shoots up to around 40 degrees (as reported by the internal applet/ widget) while I am traveling and keep the phone in the car (with AC on).
Also the temperature is 35+ even while at home when I do some heavy browsing and Google maps/ Sygic maps with GPS on.
The phone becomes slow when it is at these temperatures. It takes 15-20 minutes to cool down and the speed/ response is back to normal.

Anyone having related observations?
Old 28th February 2012, 18:02   #7989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have noticed that on my Motorola Defy with CM 7.1, the temperature of the phone shoots up to around 40 degrees (as reported by the internal applet/ widget) while I am traveling and keep the phone in the car (with AC on).
Also the temperature is 35+ even while at home when I do some heavy browsing and Google maps/ Sygic maps with GPS on.
The phone becomes slow when it is at these temperatures. It takes 15-20 minutes to cool down and the speed/ response is back to normal.
When your phone heats up (I don't know for sure why) there could be some CPU scaling settings taking place, whereby it caps the max speed of the CPU to a lower value, in order not to heat it up further. That's probably the reason why you see reduced performance when it is too hot and increased performance when it cools down.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 455
Size:  113.0 KB
I have this setting enabled in SetCPU - the max CPU speed will be reduced from 1.1Ghz to 691Mhz when the temperature of the phone goes above 45 degrees, which so far only happened a couple of times when the phone was mounted on a holder in the car's windshield in direct sunlight with Navigation on.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th February 2012 at 18:13.
Old 28th February 2012, 18:04   #7990
Distinguished - BHPian

I had tried the much touted ICS update on my rooted Razr - and reinstalled the original ROM within a day. Issues were:

a) Phone heating up - the back was continuously very warm to the touch. I noticed battery life was severely affected
b) Buggy as hell! Setting a launcher as default didnt seem to work at all. The start up screen froze after every reboot.
c) Garbled screen - the kind you see on your TV when your satellite tv signal goes wonky.

Luckily Moto has the ICS update scheduled for a roll out from April onwards. I'll wait for it. No more screwing around with ROMs for now.

Unlocked bootloader - no luck yet. Though some guys at XDA Dev are trying to crack it.
Old 28th February 2012, 18:38   #7991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But did you analyse why is it heating up?

The following questions come to my mind.

Have you over clocked your phone? Did you pad it up too much making it impossible for it to reject heat? Has it been happening recently (after installing a few apps)?

And I am not too sure why you want the GPS on while browsing at home, if you think it is unnecessary, it would be a good idea to disable GPS.

Regarding slowing down. The CM mod has CPU governor which would decrease the CPU speed when temperature crosses certain threshold and the defaults would be restored only when the temperature is back with in limits, you could change the same using apps like CPU master etc.
Old 28th February 2012, 19:11   #7992
Senior - BHPian

Temperature issues : check/play around with CPU settings and don't overclock too much. Also look around on the net - there may be other kernels that run cooler.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:13   #7993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
But did you analyse why is it heating up?
Quote:
I have noticed that on my Motorola Defy with CM 7.1, the temperature of the phone shoots up to around 40 degrees
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Temperature issues : check/play around with CPU settings and don't overclock too much. Also look around on the net - there may be other kernels that run cooler.
It may not be only the CPU settings that could be the culprit. If the phone uses excessive amount of data over EDGE/3G, it will definitely heat up. You need to check in that direction too. Installing an app which will monitor the data usage will be of help in determining the issue.

In MIUI, there is an inbuilt data monitor and firewall where one can monitor the the usage as well as block apps that uses data for no real purpose.

Last edited by clevermax : 29th February 2012 at 10:16.
Old 29th February 2012, 13:23   #7994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It may not be only the CPU settings that could be the culprit. If the phone uses excessive amount of data over EDGE/3G, it will definitely heat up. You need to check in that direction too. Installing an app which will monitor the data usage will be of help in determining the issue.

In MIUI, there is an inbuilt data monitor and firewall where one can monitor the the usage as well as block apps that uses data for no real purpose.
AFAIK - the voltage levels help control the phone overheating..or heating.

CM7.1 runs hotter than WIUI 1.12.16 hotter than CM 7.1 whiterabbit hotter than MIUI Pikachu for the Defy!

The best w.r.t battery temp is Pikachu and Best w.r.t battery life overnight is Whiterabbit [just 3% over 9 hrs]

Will test it again before reporting!!
Old 29th February 2012, 13:32   #7995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers

AFAIK - the voltage levels help control the phone overheating..or heating.
Yeah, even I was experiencing temp up to 44c when using default CPU settings on cm & miui. Later I changed the CPU voltage as below on my defy & now temp stays below 40 even under heavy net usage.

300/20:600/30:1000/40 (freq/vsel).
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks